Pasta Machines

Old June 16th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Pasta Machines

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Makins' new pasta
machine. My Trattorina got smushed during a recent move (ouch), and I can't
afford to get a new one, so I'm trying to decide whether to get an Atlas 180
or the new toy in town. Since Makins' pasta machine was made specifically
for clay, it sounds like it should be the best choice, but I don't know if
it's 'tried and true' like the Atlas is. Any comments/suggestions would be
much appreciated.

TheDormouse

Old June 16th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I've heard it is very good, although they pulled the first version off
the market due to problems. Version 2 is to be shipped soon and early
reports are positive.

Barbara

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old June 17th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I see that PCE is selling Makins' "Ultimate Clay Machine." Is that an
unrecalled version 1, or an early release of version 2? Do you have any idea
what the problems were with the Makins product, or were they making
improvements to their existing model? (think I read that somewhere) If you
had to choose between a Makins or an Atlas, which would you pick?

P.S. Barbara--I checked out the BSG site and saw that a lot of the pics were
taken in Florida--are Floridians especially bad when it comes to mutilating
the English language, or do you live there?

TheDormouse

Old June 17th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I'm unclear as to the specific problems with the machine - I'm sure
you'd turn up information if you just googled it. The name hasn't
changed at all - just ask Rob or Wilma at PCE if they have the original
machine, or the new stock. The company was supposed to have recalled all
old stock (I think - don't quote).

And yes - we live in Florida! :-D

Old June 17th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Forgot to answer you second question...as far as which one to pick, I
can't weigh in on an opinion until I use the Makin's machine. Those PC
folks that did use the first version of the machine liked it quite a bit.

Old June 18th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Barbara, I've tried googling it, and wasn't able to come up with any reason for the recall, other than a letter on their site saying they were improving their product (as if they would say what faults, if any, existed). I also haven't been able to come up with any information as to why their machine is any sort of improvement over the standard pasta machine other than something I saw today that mentioned their rollers are made of Teflon, which supposedly shouldn't stick to clay.
Is this newsgroup always this slow, or are they all at the Bead & Button show with you, and you're the only one that brought a PC? I was hoping some others would chime in on this and the polytools question.

Thanks for your help thus far,
TheDormouse-a fellow Floridian, albeit a transplanted one

Old June 19th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Hey Dormouse -

It's been pretty quiet around here and yes, I'm sure there are lots of
folks at B&B.

Here are some discussions regarding the Makins machines that may assist you:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...0.1&search= y

http://www.pcpolyzine.com/ (scroll down for press release from Makin's)

OT Quick pasta salad melinda Quilting 6 December 7th 05 11:57 PM
OT ITALIAN PASTA DIET -- IT REALLY WORKS !! Don/Gen Quilting 0 January 15th 05 12:38 AM
Huskystar, Bernina, Elna machines Maria Drago Sewing 0 August 10th 04 04:46 PM
hand glass beveling machines for sale, ten, located florida, USA bill yohler Glass 19 December 31st 03 03:17 PM