Has anyone any experience with Darvin 7...

Old September 6th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rusty n Red

Default Has anyone any experience with Darvin 7...

....in mixing lowfire slip. I've been having trouble getting sodium silicate
from my supplier, and they've set me up with Darvin 7 as a replacement. Not
sure how much to use on proportion to using sodium silicate. Any
suggestions?

Thanx,

Red

Old September 6th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

I had a ferret around and came up with this:

http://www.claymaker.com/ceramic_central/info/slips.htm

It mentions Darvan # 7 (note spelling) as a sub for Sodium Silicate, but
naturally doesn't specify percentages, as these vary from clay to clay,
non-the-less it looks helpful.

I think you are going to have to find someone who is making up a similar
body as a base and get the proportions from them.

Good luck.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Rusty n Red
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 7th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rusty n Red

Thanx much, Steve. The spelling was probably why when I Googled it I didn't
get much.

Thanx again,

Red