School/college was Banned

Old July 22nd 03, 11:28 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Default School/college was Banned

On 7/21/03 7:58 PM, in article , "Dianne
Lewandowski" wrote:

Meredith wrote:
Ah, well that explains that, then. I'd estimate that the average amount
of homework for my college classes was at least 10h/week for each, more
if they were in the humanities. I knew very few people who had time to
work more than 10h/week (at an actual job). But then again, I am an Ivy
League snob so there's probably no comparision.

Well, now I feel MUCH better. I remember my theory prof saying 3 to 5
hours per week. I spent at least 10. I thought that made me stupid.
grin Yes, whatever the class hours were, I spent at least double or
triple on assignments. You're making me feel so much better, Meredith.

Dianne

Try physics classes - 4 hours of class, 3+ of lab, another 2+ to write it up
and 20+ on problem sets!
Cheryl

Old July 22nd 03, 12:53 PM
sunflower

oh yes I think I may have been misunderstood here too (or I misspoke) I
meant around 2 hours per night of homework per class. Sorry~

Sarah
"Meredith" wrote in message
My mom was an academic advisor at the local community college for a
while and she said that the rule of thumb was 3x the number of hours
spent in class. I think that my school has more intensive classes than
most, in comparison to where my siblings and friends went.

Do you mean music theory? My mom teaches that and told me not to take
it in college because it would consume all my free time!

Meredith

Old July 22nd 03, 07:17 PM
Ellice

On 7/22/03 6:28 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

On 7/21/03 7:58 PM, "Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

Meredith wrote:
Ah, well that explains that, then. I'd estimate that the average amount
of homework for my college classes was at least 10h/week for each, more
if they were in the humanities. I knew very few people who had time to
work more than 10h/week (at an actual job). But then again, I am an Ivy
League snob so there's probably no comparision.

Well, now I feel MUCH better. I remember my theory prof saying 3 to 5
hours per week. I spent at least 10. I thought that made me stupid.
grin Yes, whatever the class hours were, I spent at least double or
triple on assignments. You're making me feel so much better, Meredith.

Try physics classes - 4 hours of class, 3+ of lab, another 2+ to write it up
and 20+ on problem sets!

20 on problem sets - yikes. My favorite physics class - there were 2
sections of it, which after 2 weeks were 20 or so in mine, and 100 in the
big one. The prof, who we called "Arnie" - really, his name, was a fellow at
the Brookhaven institute. He also taught full time, kind of juggling which
term where. Great guy. Very theoretical, and expected us to have good
calculus understanding - else you couldn't follow him. He also chain smoked,
always had a cigarette dangling from his lip, pants belted somewhere so low
we were sure it was going to be pornographic one day, and sandals - to go
with his flowing white mane. Regularly we had the extra problem session
review at the campus Rathskellar, and he always bought a round or two. It
was the only physics class I struggled with, and only one I loved - a matter
of pride to get through it. We had to have groups to work on our problem
sets. But, he wanted us to learn physics in a Socratic method - the other
class, very traditional, younger guy. But, it was tough. The engineers and
physics majors were the only ones in this class, there was a slightly
easier, less complex, class for the other science major, and then of course
the totally dumbed down physics for the rest. I believe this was 2nd
semester, optics and electro-magnetism. What fun. Years later, auditing a
class in MagnetoHydrodynamics (taught by prof for whom I taught Thermo) I
often thought how good it was I'd had Arnie's class for background. But,
countless hours in study group working on problems. I'm pretty sure that we
were followed in the classroom by stars for studs (Astronomy 101 for
non-science majors) - we'd always be at the board still working problems.
Those guys thought we were brilliant - because the board looked so complex.
Little did they know - we were partially goofing, and always confused.

My favorite, hardest undergrad classs - Fracture Mechanics. Not to be taken
lightly. I thought it would be interesting, and a good elective prior to
grad school. 3 hours lecture. 3 hour lab sections. 10-12 hours more in lab
to actually finish the lab. 5-10 hours at least to write it up. Cool 10
hours to do the problems. I had 22 semester hours that term, of which that
was 4, and had a car accident just before finals (not my fault). The dean
sent me home from school day after. Had to take 3 incompletes. Accepted Bs
in2 classes, not taking final. The Dpt chair in Mech Eng - grabbed me to
tell me he was concerned that my "grades" had slipped - jeez. I was already
accepted for grad school, so it was moot, really. But, that fracture Mech
lab, we had to prep samples, treat them, look at them under the SEM, and do
diagrams. Problem was you had to get access to the ovens, and the SEM -
there were 2 in the lab - which meant being at school at all kinds of hours.
We had to get keys for the lab room. The guy who taught the class was an
old-school engineer. Everything in your lab book, and each lab then also got
a separate report turned in - had to be perfect. All your homework - perfect
format - indentations following links - in and out, all perfectly lettered
in draftsmen's printing. It was tough. It's actually a very hard class - I
learned a lot. Fortunaately, I had a good background in stats (having an OR
major as well) which really helped. When I went to grad school, many friends
then and before laughed at what a fool I was taking such a class for an
"elective" .

ellice

Old July 23rd 03, 12:40 PM
sunflower

No problem! Sometimes those hours turned into DAYS - Em used to steal my
pencils when I was trying to do my accounting problems

Sarah
"Meredith" wrote in message
Ah, I see. Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Meredith