Colour reference problem

Old December 5th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sewgirls.com[_3_]

Default Colour reference problem

Hi All,

How do I get a colour reference for a fabric without using a swatch or
going into a shop or a manufacturer with a sample?
If I have a piece of say, watered silk ribbon and I want to order some
more, is there a reference system where I can say \"I need some watered
silk ribbon in colour reference ABC123X\" and that colour reference would
correspond to the colour I need in that fabric? It would be the textile
equivalent of Pantone colours in printing.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. (I\'m famous for them)

-------------------------------------
This is ma\' sig

(__)
(oo)
/-------/
/ | ||
* ||----||
~~ ~~

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3670 messages and counting!
Old December 5th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

How do I get a colour reference for a fabric without using a swatch or
going into a shop or a manufacturer with a sample?
If I have a piece of say, watered silk ribbon and I want to order some
more, is there a reference system where I can say \"I need some watered
silk ribbon in colour reference ABC123X\" and that colour reference would
correspond to the colour I need in that fabric? It would be the textile
equivalent of Pantone colours in printing.

Yup, there are pantone swatches for fabrics, too, which are expensive.
Many manufacturers also use the Pantine printing colors.
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone...?ca=4&pg=20378
Old December 6th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Kay Lancaster wrote:
How do I get a colour reference for a fabric without using a swatch or
going into a shop or a manufacturer with a sample?
If I have a piece of say, watered silk ribbon and I want to order some
more, is there a reference system where I can say \"I need some watered
silk ribbon in colour reference ABC123X\" and that colour reference would
correspond to the colour I need in that fabric? It would be the textile
equivalent of Pantone colours in printing.

Yup, there are pantone swatches for fabrics, too, which are expensive.
Many manufacturers also use the Pantine printing colors.
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone...?ca=4&pg=20378

If money is no object then have a look at
http://www.tradeprintsupplies.co.uk/shop/products_list.php?cat=59
Thank goodness I'm colour blind g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 7th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
kevmc

kevmc had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-...blem-3947-.htm :
Thanks guys. Do you know if there is an online site with colours relating
to their pantone number? You can search for any colour on Pantone.com but
they ask you for the colour number first. I have the colour but I don't
know it's number. It's not worth our while buying a whole pantone colour
board finding the colour we want then buying the swatches relating to the
colour just for one colour.

Kev

Old December 7th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

Can you go to a paint store or someplace like Home Depot and check it
with there color cards
Juno
Old December 8th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Alice in PA[_2_]

Or, when I worked in a fabric store, we used the spools of Coats and Clarks
threads.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old December 8th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On 07 Dec 2008 19:24:23 GMT, kevmc
wrote:
kevmc had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/textiles/Re-...blem-3947-.htm :
Thanks guys. Do you know if there is an online site with colours relating
to their pantone number? You can search for any colour on Pantone.com but

Unless you've got a really carefully calibrated monitor, the colors
you see online won't match a pantone book anyhow. Your best bet may be
to find a commercial artist or printer who'll let you sit there with your
swatch and play matchy-match.

I belong to a fabric coop that uses the $20 shopping color guide
for describing colors, even if the description is "nearest Blue Green
pg 150 18-4525"
http://www.pantone.com/pages/product...x?pid=327&ca=4

If you did have the number, some Xerox printers have the ability to produce
a swatch of the matching color.

There are also markers available at art stores with Pantone numbers...
you may be able to find a match that way, but there are only about 300
colors.
http://www.shoptheartstore.com/pantone_tria_markers.cfm

Kay