anyone heard of this?

Old July 21st 03, 03:53 PM
m4816k

Default anyone heard of this?

My dad was a hunter, and a few days ago he gave me some deer's teeth. He
told me that those can be used to make jewellery, but that it's common to
process them like gemstones and then set them into gold or silver. The
problem is, I've never seen those teeth after they've been processed, cause
I've never heard of jewellers selling such items and I also can't find
anything about it on the net. Can anyone recommend me some website which
shows such jewellery, or give me an advice? Thank you!

Old July 22nd 03, 01:51 AM
chunk

I don't know of deer teeth being commonly used, but Elk have some teeth that
are commonly referred to as Elk Ivory that are often used in jewelry as
cabochons or capped and used as pendants. You will often see them in pieces
that have a hunting theme or antlers included in the design.

Do a google search for Elk Ivory and you'll see some examples. I don't know
if that can be adapted to what you have.

Chunk Kiesling

Old July 23rd 03, 08:58 AM
Marggi

I have never set deer teeth, but I have set elk teeth, for members of the
Elk's Lodge. The teeth are first boiled and polished, they are like ivory
and will take a nice polish but are mostly yellowish to brownish in color. I
have seen them made into cufflinks, and pendants, and some antique pieces I
have seen were used as watch fobs. You will most deffinitely have a
conversation starter if you wear them, it could be fun!
Marggi

Old July 28th 03, 10:59 AM
m4816k

I still haven't found a jeweller who knows what to do with these things,
anywhere near where I live. So I'll probably use them in their "natural
state" (not polished) to make a pendant, but if I want to clean them up a
bit before that, what should I use? Toothpaste (cause after all those are
teeth) or just a warm soapy watter? Thank you all for the informations!

news