Home again.

Old June 29th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Lucille[_3_]

Default OT Discount stores was Home again.

"Pogonip" wrote in message
ellice wrote:

I totally understand. Where I grew up, the big discount place in FL was
Zayre's - which was from Massachusetts, and we did plenty of shopping
there.
Or at Jefferson's - which IIRC went out in the late 60s. Then there was
Jackson-Byron's - which was more like Target . My grandmother loved that
place for bargains. And of course, in NY we had EJ Korvette's.

That's a flash from the past! Zayre's! I remember them well. Also
Jefferson's and Jackson-Byron, but especially Zayre's. Now, I understand
Burdine's and Jordan Marsh are gone. I remember when J-M came to Miami
and we were so excited! Later, I worked there for a while. Store
detective. Had some adventures.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Burdines is Macy's now. Both Burdines's and Macy's were owned by the same
conglomerate, Federated Department Stores, and the merchandise was pretty
much the same, down to the house brands.

Lucille

Old June 29th 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Tia Mary

Default Apology was OT: SPAM

ellice wrote:

Sorry to all for the cross-posting. The header on my RCTN reader didn't
show the other groups when I replied.

So, again, sorry for the inconvenience and boredom and breach of netiquette.

Ellice - normally only lurking on RCTY and sweing.

I can fully understand! I haven't been able to figure out how to
*not* cross post either. My header only shows the group I want to read
but if I respond to something from someone who is already cross posting,
MY post is cross posted......... When I see something is cross posted
and I REALLY want to join the discussion, I usually just start another
thread with the same title! Only way I have found that actually
works!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old June 30th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

ellice wrote:
On 6/28/07 2:54 PM, "me" wrote:

I did not grow up in a WM area either (in fact WM was not around when
I was growing up). However, economic realities being what they are,
and the lack of availability of other discount houses makes shopping
at WM necessary here.

I wish there were other places to shop..(other than high-end stores)..
WM pretty well has a monopoly here on "discounted" goods (within 50 or
more miles). They are not precisely my favorite company either, since
Sam Walton died, and they have been changing their policies
drastically ever since.. I might mention that many of the higher-end
shops also sell merchandise from China, which is where most of the
"slave labor" items come from, AFAIK.

me

I totally understand. Where I grew up, the big discount place in FL was
Zayre's - which was from Massachusetts, and we did plenty of shopping there.
Or at Jefferson's - which IIRC went out in the late 60s. Then there was
Jackson-Byron's - which was more like Target . My grandmother loved that
place for bargains. And of course, in NY we had EJ Korvette's.

Zayre's! I'd forgotten them! We had them in the midwest too. And
Kresge's.

Now with the big warehouse clubs, and the proliferation of dollar stores,
and Target, and Wal-Mart - I guess the smaller chains are gone. In one
small area here we have the Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Lowe's, and a discount
type strip, and within about a mile or two, Costco & Super Target. And
then Kohl's.

The poor labor practices are just a sad thing. So, I just do what I can,
but that doesn't mean it's really accurate.

Ellice
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:42:44 GMT, ellice wrote:

Interesting. I've never grocery shopped in Wal-Mart. But, then again, I
didn't really grow up in the Wal-Mart region, and while now they are here, I
tend to avoid them based on the child-slave labor issue (there are other
bargain places to use).

Might just be how labelling of products is at different places.

Interesting far from stitching conversation.

ellice

Old June 30th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Default OT: SPAM

ellice wrote:
On 6/28/07 6:22 PM, "spampot" ""spampot"@NO SPAM orph.org" wrote:

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
ellice wrote:
On 6/27/07 10:47 PM, "spampot" ""spampot"@NO SPAM orph.org" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 6/26/07 6:25 PM, "Katherine" wrote:

On Jun 26, 3:16 pm, Karen C - California wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Yepper! Which is why home cooking is better. You can regulate what
goes
into the meal.
Absolutely. But you can't regulate what goes into the husband
when he's
not home.

When we first got married, I was puzzled how he could be gaining
weight
on what I was feeding him. Then I found out. On his way to work, he
supplemented my healthy breakfast with a 600-calorie muffin slathered
with butter. He topped off the low-cal lunch I packed with a
bucket of
the Colonel's finest. After a low-fat dinner, he'd run an errand
by way
of either Dunkin Donuts or the ice cream shop.

It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that I don't cook the way his
mother
did (with lots of salt, lots of fried food, gravy on everything)
and my
healthy meals made him feel "deprived".
OK, how long have you been married to m y Keith? g
I remember one summer when he swore that he wasn't eating anything
but what I prepared and he kept gaining weight. Turns out he was
DRINKING a minimum of two iced cappucinos every day!

Higs,
Katherine

Hey, the cappucino's won't do anything - they're just milk and some
expresso. But, the extra junk if it's full of syrup, etc - that'll
drive
the calorie count way up.

Ellice

The iced cappuccinos are usually sweetened, though.
The stuff the BK and MacDonalds is serving - absolutely. It's purposely
being marketed that way, iced coffees, etc. Dunkin Donut's as well.
Read/saw some show about the coffee wars.

But a true cappucino isn't. Of course, an iced cappucino is kind of an
oxymoron - in that cappucinos are traditionally espresso with a 50/50
foam-milk mix. Lattes are the straight milk - with a tiny bit of foam.
So, well, an iced cappucino is a tough thing - unless you're pouring
foamed
milk into a glass with ice & expresso. And then if you really get
into it -
there is the "wet" cappucino - which is higher percentage milk/lower
percentage foam & the "dry" cappucino - the opposite - more foam, less
milk.

In a coffee bar they won't sweeten unless you ask them to, or you're
ordering a sweetened drink recipe. Bottled Frappucino - definitely
addictive and sweet.

The things you can learn as a barista. So, I drink cappucinos because
it's
a little less "milky" than a latte.

ellice

Better yet: straight filter coffee with a splash of milk and no sugar or
sweeteners! That's what I usually drink unless I'm feeling shopped to
death!

You & me both, Kate. I stopped sweetening my coffee and tea back in
college (30-some years ago). And if I can't have real cream for my
coffee, I'll drink it black.

When I was a kid, I always remember my grandmother with a constant pot of
coffee. She had the old-fashioned double boiler in the house, and then
later, the Farberware "good" electric percolater - which didn't seem to
scorch the coffee and stayed hot for a couple of hours.

But, to the point - my DM drank coffee with just a little milk, DGM black.
My dad - drank everything with 2 tsp of sugar. So, the rule was when we
wanted to start drinking coffee, it wasn't candy, and we could use a little
milk, but no sugar. My mom always teased dad about the sweet coffee he
drank - but for us - no sugar. So, my DB and I drink it just with a little
milk, or black. And since I turned DH into a coffee addict, he drinks it
the same way. When we first were spending "time" together - and I realized
he had no coffee pot - we brought over a French press - I couldn't have none
at all. And my little grinder. Now, he's hooked. But, he will drink sweet
kind of iced lattes at times.

ellice

Ys, I blame my mother for my coffee habit; she was always leaving
half-full cups of cold coffee around the house that we'd sneak sips of
and it was lovely, as she loaded hers w/cream and sugar back then. So
of course I loved coffee ice cream. Imagine my shock the first time I
tasted black coffee!
Old June 30th 07, 03:45 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

And what are you sewing now ??? Ellice ????
mirjam with a measure tape on my neck,,,,

Old June 30th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

On 6/29/07 2:02 PM, "Pogonip" wrote:

ellice wrote:

I totally understand. Where I grew up, the big discount place in FL was
Zayre's - which was from Massachusetts, and we did plenty of shopping there.
Or at Jefferson's - which IIRC went out in the late 60s. Then there was
Jackson-Byron's - which was more like Target . My grandmother loved that
place for bargains. And of course, in NY we had EJ Korvette's.

That's a flash from the past! Zayre's! I remember them well. Also
Jefferson's and Jackson-Byron, but especially Zayre's. Now, I
understand Burdine's and Jordan Marsh are gone. I remember when J-M
came to Miami and we were so excited! Later, I worked there for a
while. Store detective. Had some adventures.

Yup - it was a big deal going to J-M in downtown. My favorite dress in 6th
grade came from them - and then I broke my arm the first time I wore it, and
the nurse had me dress back in my school clothes (instead of my basketball
uni) when mom came to get me, and well, by the time hours later I was in the
hospital getting ready for surgery - they had to cut the dress off my arm.

My dad's company made the private label pharmaceuticals (soap, shampoo,
conditioner, peroxide, etc) for Zayre's, and I think it must've been close
to when they were going out of business because I remember the problems with
them not paying huge bills. But, that was a great discount store - and I
will confess, my mom and her friends found it really good for some of the
women's stuff - if you looked. And really inexpensive. It was near the
library that my friends and I went to after junior high, so we'd go to the
library, and en-route, stop at the Zayres - there was a luncheonette - get
cheap fries and a soda.....

J-M went out years back. I didn't realize Burdine's did - but I tend to
think they must've just label changed as they were part of Federated, which
is Macy's and IIRC they just name merged and finally became Macy's.
Probably losing a bit of Florida flavor. That was my favorite dept store
growing up. Big thing when DM took me to Burdine's to get some school
shopping done - the one near us had an interesting dept "arcade" on a bridge
between the original building and an extension. Oh, well - life and stores
continue to evolve.

So, where did you live in FLA? The oddest thing here in VA, someone that I
met via synagogue- her kids went to the same elementary school as me. I'm
older than her kids by more than 10 years, but similarly younger than her.
Weird.

ellice

Old June 30th 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

On 6/29/07 10:45 PM, "Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

And what are you sewing now ??? Ellice ????
mirjam with a measure tape on my neck,,,,

I am working on an art garment jacket done with the Laurel Birch mythical
horses, and some sheers interspersed (for me). The base is a lovely
hand-dyed purple cotton, and it's lined as a surprise in an oriental
pattern. But the esterior is coming along - I got stalled for a while
working the artsy design layout - but ended up with a layering thing. Also,
just started a Salwar-Kamiz - (tunic and Indian pants) for a friend) with
beaded trim on the tunic. And about to start a set of curtains that I'm
doing with a strip pieced tieback set, and an inset thin border, with a
wider outer border (3 fabrics).

And I don't want to talk about the yardage of gorgeous linen that I got
during the G-street sale, and some lovely black & white cotton-poplin for a
summer dress. The linen is going to be some pants/top sets (open jacket,
and the other a vest). Had to buy a bunch of Vogue patterns during the
going out of business sale at Hancocks.

In the queue - some light summer dresses - which are quick and I think I
will get a couple done next week. 2 are for "clients", along with the
Salwar-Kamiz. And one has to come for a fitting - I don't want to go
further until I've adjusted her muslin.

Hope to have answered the question. And I'll try to manage the
cross-posting. But, since Mirjam asked about sewing, I'm answering on the
sweing groups!

ellice

Old June 30th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pogonip

ellice wrote:

[...]

Ellice, with as much sewing as you are doing, and as interesting as it
sounds, you belong on alt.sewing! I am sure that I would love to see
pictures, especially the Laurel Burch creation, and I doubt that I'm
alone in that.
Old July 2nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joan E.

Kathleen wrote:
And my border collies love the smell of oranges being peeled,

My dog, Jasmine, also loves fruit. Well, that and any other thing she
can get in her mouth! LOL! She jumps up and picks plums off our
tree. A couple years ago I heard her barking in the back yard. She
was sitting under our plum tree barking because she could see a plum
*just* out of her reach above the fork of the tree. I can't imagine
what she'll be like this year...our plum tree is *loaded* with plums!
She also picks raspberries from my bushes, and not the green ones,
either. Oh, no, she finds the ripe ones and delicately plucks them
off! I just hope she doesn't find out about the cherries that I got
for the first time this year! They're much lower to the ground than
the plums, since the tree is only 4 years old and 4 feet tall. I
discovered one thing she doesn't like, though and that's rhubarb.

One word of caution, though. Grapes and raisins (and just a few!) can
be toxic to dogs! I just found out about this recently. Here's a
link to Snopes about it: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Joan

Old July 2nd 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Lucille[_3_]

"Joan E." wrote in message
oups.com...

Kathleen wrote:
[...]

A dog with good taste. I don't like rhubarb either.

Lucille