THE DIRECTORY. MY FINAL WORD

Old May 7th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
niasha

Default THE DIRECTORY. MY FINAL WORD

I'm confused? Was one of the criteria for inclusion the number of posts over
a two month period? Ill health, moving, computer problems, etc. can all
contribute to a member's lack of participation at any time. I don't always
respond to he group but to the individual. While difficult to type, I do try
to read most of the posts. (I'm only behind about 2mil, 647thou, 972 at this
point but still trying to catch up)! While "life" has prevented me from
participating as much as I would like to, I think membership since 1999
should give me some credence as a member worthy to be included in the
directory. If the directory has been reduced to a paper exercise that's sad.
I have always looked upon it as a way to bond kindred spirits who have
supported each other over the years, good and bad times, joy and
disappointment, etc. It's when you don't hear from a member that you pull
out the directory to send a squishy or a love note to let them know you have
them in your prayers.

- I assume I will not be included in this year's directory but I would still
like to get a copy. Please let me know! Thanks for letting me vent! It's my
chocolate deficient! Gotta get those cupcakes!

Niasha ,She who can eat no chocolate
If it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger!

Old May 7th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

No, Niasha, it is not merely a 2 month period of posting that determines
one's admission to the directory. While I'm sure Alice can speak for her
own process, it is my understanding that she searched back many, many months
(at least 6 months) to look for applicants who would be new to the directory
(as those already admitted had been scrutinized previously). She looked for
the number of posts and wanted to make sure that most were relevant to
quilting. (Not that you are... but we do get an occassional troll who
poses as one of us -- so our directory people take their job very
seriously). Only those who are IN the directory receive a copy of the
directory -- thus each member has a vested interest in protecting the
privacy of the information included.

While I speak for Alice (and probably shouldn't), please know that no
individual was not included out of malice or spite. Most of us were around
for at least a year before we were admitted to our first directory. While a
certain frequency of posts isn't required for admission -- you certainly
must post frequently enough so that those pulling the directory together
feel confident that you are a person who is truly a member of our community
and someone who can be trusted with our personal information.

While you can neither receive or be included in this release of the
directory, we hope you will stay around, post occasionally so we can all get
to know you, and then being included next time around will not be a problem.
(Remember -- when you respond privately to someone, there is no record on
the newsgroup -- so while you may be active in your communications with
other members privately -- there is no way our Directory Team would know
this.

Please try not to take this as a personal affront. You are new here, we are
happy to have you here, and hope you will hang around. You are welcome to
participate in any and all swaps that interest you (or host one of your
own!) You are welcome to become a part of the HUG group. Ask questions
when they arise in your quilting, post answers to others' questions when you
think you can help, join us offering hugs and prayers to fellow RCTQ'ers as
needed and before long it will be time for the next directory... and you
will be warmly welcomed and included.

Kate in MI

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna Aten[_2_]

Niasha isn't new here - she's been around here for a lonnnnggg time!
Doens't post as much as she used to - but she certainly is not new!
--
Donna in Idaho

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Sorry -- I misunderstood... the name didn't ring a bell with me...

my apologies, Niasha.

--
Kate in MI

"Donna Aten" wrote in message
Niasha isn't new here - she's been around here for a lonnnnggg time!
Doens't post as much as she used to - but she certainly is not new!
--
Donna in Idaho

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

niasha wrote:
I'm confused? Was one of the criteria for inclusion the number of
posts over a two month period?

snip

No, but you did have to fill out the form last September (?) or sometime
around that time. Inclusion isn't automatic from year to year.
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old May 7th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default THE DIRECTORY. (MY) your FINAL WORD

Howdy!

LOL

Some of y'all really get turned a bit sideways by this thing, don't you? ;-D
Looks like it's a privately done project, not a public-access-to-records
item like stuff on Usenet (home of RCTQ). The person who owns it can do
with it as she pleases. Or not. And does.
And maybe it looks a bit like a popularity contest or one for
Mzs. Congeniality. Next up: being voted on/off the island?
Maybe you want to start an addy/info list of your own?
Nothing in The Rules against that.
No offense intended at all, 'cause y'all know I just don't *do* the
directory. Been here on the ng for 10+ yrs. and never have lacked access
to an address: just ask. ;-) (I accept addys sent privately; email as
posted.) I don't do polls or telephone surveys, either, and so far, life
goes on. Reckon there are several dozens or even hundreds of us that don't
do this little ol' directory, and that's O.K.. I like y'all just the same.
My point is, go on with your regularly scheduled quilting plans.
It'll be all right. I promise. :-

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy-- pointing out that Yvette Mimieux is ALWAYS the right answer

Old May 7th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

You just burst my bubble.... (can't you just picture lil droplets of bubble
soap dripping all over your keyboard?)
I always believed 42 was the correct answer cause I can't pronounce that
gals last name correctly and cause everyone that I know of is familiar with
42 being the answer.

Butterfly (who also is not in the Directory by choice. So far folks have
been able to get my addy even after I've moved again and again and again
since joining this NG : ) Just ask--or ask someone else to ask 'for you' )

Old May 7th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I, for one, recognize you, and know you've been around a long time. I
realize how much work went into the directory, but sometimes think it's
overkill. After all, if someone wantss to find someone, there are plenty of
ways to do so. Paranoia sometimes gets in the way of logic.
Gen

.. .

Old May 7th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"niasha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It is *NOT* how active you are - though being known is a good thing. It is
*NOT* whether or not you are new.

There is an internet form to fill out. A volunteer (this time it is Alice,
but I seem to remember others in the past) gathers the information from the
forms and compiles them.

The form stays up for awhile. You need to volunteer your info to be in the
directory - no one wants to invade another's privacy. So, to be included,
you need to fill out the form. Late entries are not added because, I
suspect, it is a lot of work and there needs to be a cutoff.

The directory is sent only to those who are *in* the directory... because of
privacy.

I can understand you are disappointed. I am too. I missed the sign-up,
evidently, and so I am not in it either. And yes, Alice knows me (we live in
the same state, and met-up at a quilt show). And yes, I was in the directory
in the past. But I was out of the loop for awhile and wasn't checking the ng
as often as I used to.

I just have to remember to look for the NG directory post every week or so,
so I can get in next year.

I am sure if you want to squish or hug someone, you can find out their addy
by asking.

Old May 7th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

Well I know it took me a year before I got into the Directory. I totally
understand how it all worked and respected that everyone looking after it
was concerned for privacy and spammers and the like.
I applied for it 2x before I was in it, and I understood. I don't like the
idea of my name and address all being on a public list with someone who is
going to use the information for ill uses! Thank you to those that DO take
the time to question those names that are submitted!

And yup, folks do seem to get rather riled up about all this business. I am
not quite sure why, or what spawns the feelings. It isn't like this is a new
thing to happen in the last few months, its been going on for many years
now. No surprise it will be coming up and that you have to input your
information if you please, or don't input it if you don't please.

Let's not get riled up over this kind of thing in here, lets not take it
personally if we missed the call, lets just sit our butt's down around the
frame, grab chocolate and stitch!

Life is far too full of other worthy things to get riled up over than a list
of names and address' that can be gotten by a simple email asking for it k?

I know my anger and frustration is held in check for the lack of respect for
volunteers at the moment and it gets poured out into a letter and sent out
to those it concerns and WOW the feedback was a tad explosive!! Got some
response though LOL

Ok, I know I haven't been around a lot and I know I haven't even been
quilting or contributing much, BUT I AM HERE SO DON'T FORGET 'BOUT ME K? lol

~KK in BC~ jumping off the soap box tripping over her big feet while being
off balance because now her ears are infected along with her chest so she is
off balance even more than normally........going back to RCACS paperwork

.. .