"gem quality"

Old July 26th 05, 04:46 AM
Don T

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:06:48 -0700, in ôõ "Spike"

wrote:

well lawerence;
i've or noel have spent about 2 grand to learn about such stuff.
but i can't figure out how to post here and keep my non hacking agreement
with noel.
peter will tell you.
andy

Andy,

As mentioned in my email to you, (and here in case you don't for some
reason get
the email), the above message and your email note leaves me confused.
Have you
had postings not show up in the group? If so, I can assure you've I've
not been
blocking or rejecting anything from you. Please contact me via email if
you've
been having problems posting, and we can try and find a solution.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

It depends on news policy at the ISP's server whether or not a "reply to
group" gets past the server gate. For the longest time I could not get a
post to the moderator of a moderated group by hitting the send button. I
began to think that the groups I tried posting to were just not interested
in whatever I had to say. Then, experimentally, I would cc my posting to the
e-mail address listed in the approval line and found my posts getting
through. Peter you may recall this phenomenon too. Anyway, things changed at
the server level and moderators were getting two copies of my replies. At
that time I was able to use "reply to group" without further trouble.

--

Don Thompson

Remmy sez,
Count de Monet.
Unless, of course, you are Baroque.

Old July 26th 05, 04:59 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:46:40 -0700, in Tõ "Don T" wrote:

It depends on news policy at the ISP's server whether or not a "reply to
group" gets past the server gate. For the longest time I could not get a
post to the moderator of a moderated group by hitting the send button. I
began to think that the groups I tried posting to were just not interested
in whatever I had to say. Then, experimentally, I would cc my posting to the
e-mail address listed in the approval line and found my posts getting
through. Peter you may recall this phenomenon too. Anyway, things changed at
the server level and moderators were getting two copies of my replies. At
that time I was able to use "reply to group" without further trouble.

Don, it's not technically a "policy" problem. The problem is as you describe, but
can be attributed generally to news server administrators who don't fully
understand the recognized and accepted coding and protocalls for moderated groups.
While it is true that a news server is private property and all, and the admin is
free to set whatever policies they wish with their property, as with all internet
servers, be they email, news, web, or internet chat servers or others, they only
work properly when the follow the accepted standard conventions and procedures
Moderated group structure is different from that of non moderated groups, and
there are few enough of the moderated ones, with a small enough percentage of
overall traffic, that simply put, some news admins can't be bothered, or simply
don't know how, to properly configure their servers for moderated groups. The
technical aspects of it are generally simple, since most of these servers are
running pretty standard unix software, and all that is required is that the
configuration files, similar to an .ini file for a windows program, or the
registry, for windows itself, has the correct flags entered for moderated groups
as well as the correct info as to where the moderator's relay servers are. I'ts
pretty simple, yet is beyond some of these folks, or more likely gets overlooked,
when a new server is put on line.

So then the problem is not getting some ISP to change their policies, it's getting
the idiots to actually read the pertenant RFC documents on the net, and set up
their servers to conform to the accepted standards of the internet community. In
general, when first approached, they huff and puff a bit, but so far, all that
I've know this to occur with, have eventually gotten their act together.

And as you note, for anyone having trouble getting posts to appear, the problem
generally is that I'm simply not getting them. And the fix, if this turns out to
be a chronic thing, is as Don suggests: Put the group's posting address,
, in the cc: line of your post before sending it
to the server. If all goes well, I should get two copies of the post, one via
your ISP's properly configured news server relayed to the moderator's relay
servers and from there to me, and the other in direct email from the cc: line.
Please don't do this just routinely to be sure posts get here, unless you're
actually having trouble getting posts through. If that's the case, please contact
me in email as well, so we can try and fix the problem.

cheers

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Austrian Swarovski high quality crystal bead4u Beads 0 May 24th 05 04:43 PM
high quality scrapbook supplies for sale cjcprincess Marketplace 0 May 5th 04 10:07 PM
Squishie Fabric Quality Mika Quilting 21 April 3rd 04 04:18 PM
can we talk about quality findings and components? (long) Pam Beads 76 September 27th 03 09:10 AM
Good quality watches w/o bands C Ryman Jewelry 0 September 1st 03 03:40 AM