Finnish/Sami knitting patterns

Old February 17th 04, 04:07 PM
Sarah Carter

Default Finnish/Sami knitting patterns

Does anyone know where I could get Finnish or Sami knitting patterns =
which=20
could be delivered to the UK. In particular I am looking for mitten =
patterns.=20
(hopefully in English, but if not Finnish would be fine)

Sarah
--=20

Old February 18th 04, 01:16 AM
NoraBalcer

Hi Sarah,

What are Sami knitting patterns? I have never heard of them so I'm not much
help to you. I do have some old knitted mitten patterns that I would gladly
share with you, just let me know.

Hugs,

Nora
Old February 18th 04, 09:23 AM
Sarah Carter

NoraBalcer wrote in message =
Hi Sarah,
=20
What are Sami knitting patterns? I have never heard of them so I'm not =

much
help to you. I do have some old knitted mitten patterns that I would =

gladly
share with you, just let me know.

From what I gather from our recent trip to Finland, they are the people =
from Lapland.=20
For more information about them there is a link here=20
http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/saameng.html

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I didn't =
realise that=20
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to buy =
them=20
on our last day there.

I asked a Finnihs friend and she said that they were the type of gloves =
that=20
Grandmas make for their grandchildren, and that was who had made hers =
usually,=20
but she had just learnt to make her own pair.

In particular I'm looking for the mitterns which have a pointed end =
similar to the=20
ones at http://www.spellingtuesday.com/archive-2003-02.html on the cover =
of=20
the Cast On magazine.=20

They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional Finnish =
style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural colours.=20
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.=20

I'm hoping to make them a long term project I can make them from start =
to finish,=20
including spinning the wool on a spindle, dying the wool, and knitting =
them.

I don't seem to be able to find a picture of any on the internet though.

Sarah
--=20

Old February 18th 04, 11:27 AM
Johanna Koski

What are Sami knitting patterns? I have never heard of them so I'm not much
help to you. I do have some old knitted mitten patterns that I would gladly
share with you, just let me know.

From what I gather from our recent trip to Finland, they are the people from Lapland.
For more information about them there is a link here
http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/saameng.html

Wow. I didn't know that "Saamelaiset" are called Sami in English. That
can't
be true.. Sami is a boy's name in Finland and it's very common too! I
checked
my dictionary and atleast "saamenkieli" the language they talk is
saamish...

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I didn't realise that
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to buy them
on our last day there.

Well, traditionally, all shops close every day But you probably ment
that
they were closed on Monday. Museums are closed on Monday, but not shops.
Sunday
is the day when almost every shop is closed.

They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional Finnish style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural colours.
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.

I have a book from library where is several patterns for mittens, but
they aren't
typical Middle- or NorthFinland style. More like EastFinland and
Karelia.

I'll try to find some patterns for their knittings..

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old February 18th 04, 02:50 PM
Sarah Carter

Johanna Koski wrote in message =

Wow. I didn't know that "Saamelaiset" are called Sami in English. That
can't=20
be true.. Sami is a boy's name in Finland and it's very common too! I
checked
my dictionary and atleast "saamenkieli" the language they talk is
saamish...=20

Perhaps that is why I haven't found anything when I have looked for the=20
patterns on the internet then! )=20

I think I found the work Sami in tourist guide of Lapland as that is =
where=20
we were originally meant to go on holiday to. In the end we went to =
Tampere=20
which was lovely.

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I =

didn't realise that
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to =

buy them
on our last day there.

=20
Well, traditionally, all shops close every day But you probably =

ment
that
they were closed on Monday. Museums are closed on Monday, but not =

shops.
Sunday
is the day when almost every shop is closed.

That's what I thought too. We went to have a last look at the mittens I =
decided I=20
might like to buy on Monday moring before we came home and they were =
closed.
It was a small craftworkers shop and our friends who took us to the =
airport said that=20
Monday is sometimes half day closing. Here in England, smaller shops =
somtimes=20
close on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons.
=20
They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional =

Finnish style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural =

colours.
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.

=20
I have a book from library where is several patterns for mittens, but
they aren't=20
typical Middle- or NorthFinland style. More like EastFinland and
Karelia.
=20
I'll try to find some patterns for their knittings..

Thankyou. My husband who speaks some Finnish has been gelping me out=20
looking for some patterns, however we have managed to find a picture at
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg which=20
is quite close to what I was thinking of if that is any help?

Thankyou also for the help with the words "Saamelaiset", saamenkieli" =
and=20
saamish... That will be very helpful )

Sarah
--=20

Old February 18th 04, 03:36 PM
Stella Fenley

here is a site for differnt kinds of socks
http://www.homestead.com/knittingfun/sockpatterns.html
Stella

Old April 27th 04, 03:09 AM
Richard Eney

A long time ago...

In article ,
Johanna Koski wrote:

From what I gather from our recent trip to Finland, they are the
people from Lapland.
For more information about them there is a link here
http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/saameng.html

Wow. I didn't know that "Saamelaiset" are called Sami in English. That
can't be true.. Sami is a boy's name in Finland and it's very common
too! I checked my dictionary and at least "saamenkieli" the language
they talk is saamish...

I've seen it as "Saami" more often in English.

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but
I didn't realise that shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed
them when we went to buy them on our last day there.

snip
They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional
Finnish style. The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool
dyed in natural colours. Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.

I have a book from library where is several patterns for mittens, but
they aren't typical Middle- or NorthFinland style. More like
EastFinland and Karelia.

In an old book from the 1970s, Eve Harlow's _The Art of Knitting_,
there is a drawing of a mitten that is supposedly from East Karelia
and has the pointed ends. It has a broad gauntlet (no ribbing).
The written description is confusing but it seems to say that the
mitten is Saamelaiset. I've had a go at figuring out the pattern
from the drawing, but it takes thinner wool, as it seems to be
70 stitches around the hand, plus about 26 stitches around the thumb.

The intarsia design is mostly just a series of connected diamonds
which the English writers call a "bird's-eye" design.

=Tamar
Old August 24th 04, 09:00 PM
Richard Eney

A long time ago there was a request for a knitting pattern
for a Sami/Saami/Saamelaiset mitten with the pointed tip and
the tie-string at the wrist (for tying the mittens together
to hang them over a belt while using bare hands for work).

I just got a copy of the Dover reprint edition of Sheila MacGregor's
book, _Traditional Scandinavian Knitting Patterns_. In that book
there is a photograph of a "typical Lapp mitten", and there are some
descriptions, though not an actual knitting pattern.

One of the typical differences seems to be that the wrist patterns
go all the way around, but the pattern on the back of the mitten does
not go across the palm, and the pattern on the thumb also doesn't go
all the way around. MacGregor seems to think this is because the
original designs were copied from mittens done in nalbinding, which
is a "sewn" technique that makes it easy to use lots of colors in
any row of an intarsia design. Diamond-shaped and zigzag designs are
apparently popular, as are many bright colors: red, blue, and yellow,
often also with green and white.

=Tamar
Old February 3rd 16, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Tuesday, February 17, 2004 at 7:07:30 AM UTC-8, Sarah Carter wrote:
Does anyone know where I could get Finnish or Sami knitting patterns which
could be delivered to the UK. In particular I am looking for mitten patterns.
(hopefully in English, but if not Finnish would be fine)

Sarah
--

Discover the Wonderful World of Sami Knitting by Laura Ricketts is an eBook for $9.99 that has five beautiful Sami mitten patterns. Try Interweave Knits or Ingebretsenknits online to purchase. Good luck and happy knitting.