Tiffany Lamp

Old December 28th 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Tiffany Lamp

I am thinking of starting a new hobby and would like to know how to
affix the glass part of a tiffany lampshade to the metal holder at the
verry top center of the shade that the cap holds in place?

I don't want to know how the cap holds the lampshade in place, i need
to know how the glass part of the lamp keeps from coming off of the
center metal "thing"... I don't know what it's called.

Old December 28th 05, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Each peice of glass is wrapped in copper foil and then everything is
soldered together. The cap (called a vase cap) is soldered to the first
row of glass. On the inside, several sections of wireare soldered to
the cap and then the wire is trailed down into the design of the lamp
and solder is built up over the wire. This basically helps give the
lamp support.

If the "metal holder" is not a cap but rather either a 3-way or 4-way
spider, then the legs of the spider are bent to the same angle of the
lamp and they are soldered to the inside of the shade. Most stained
glass stores have books on lamp making which can explain all this in
great detail.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Old December 28th 05, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Thanks for your reply. I had not thought of using copper wire from the
crown.

FA: New Visual Mate II Magnifying Lamp at $10 Starting Bid [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 28th 05 03:39 PM
Gas lamp glass David Billington Glass 2 October 13th 04 09:41 AM
OTT light vs. Balanced Spectrum Lamp Margaret Needlework 4 July 8th 04 04:15 AM
Transparnt glass lamp Familie Krakers Glass 4 February 17th 04 12:10 AM
Anyone have Daylight Ultimate Lamp? v quan Needlework 4 October 19th 03 05:28 PM