Etchant?

Old August 27th 05, 04:00 PM
cAndRaley

Default Etchant?

I'm making some jewelry inspired by a terrific book, "Creating Your Own
Antique Jewelry" by Cris Dupouy. When I picked this up at the library I
figured it involved using metals; I didn't even look inside 'til I got it
home. What a pleasant surprise that it's all about clay!
Sooo.... I'm using glass, mirror, and other "stones", and I'm thinking of
etching some glass and beads I have. Any recommendations on etchant
products?
Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows what effect etching would have on
plastics? I've used bleach on dominoes (to remove the shiny surface) but
bleach seems to have no effect at all on plastics I've tried. Now I'm
curious about the etchant on plastic, but I don't want to experiment with
potentially toxic fumes.

....Which of course leads me to wonder if there is some solution that can
"age" cured poly clay. I know I can texture clay before curing to make it
look pitted and old, but I just started thinking of the possibilities...

Thanks in advance,
and apologies for such a long post from a usual lurker!
Alisa
--

http://altjournaljourney.blogspot.com/ --My Altered Journal Journey

Art, as far as it is able, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master;
thus your art must be, as it were, God's grandchild. -Dante

Old August 29th 05, 04:50 AM
cAndRaley

I think I'm wearing out the Cris Dupouy book! I thought I would just use it
for inspiration when I first found it --before I knew it was all about clay
instead of metals... I love any technique that involves making things look
old or ancient.
I'm still wondering what she means by "patina paint"....

Looked for etching solution all over the place this weekend and struck out.
Any ideas...? I have some sea glass already, but there are few "perfect"
shapes...

Now I'm trying to figure out where to find nice large/fat, GOLD-tone jump
rings to use for adding dangles to my faux antique jewelry. Or is there a
good wire I could use to make my own? I don't want something that looks
cheap (even though this is so "imitation"!)

I'm hoping to try this pieces in an upcoming craft show. Would love to hear
if anyone has ideas for displaying various pieces of jewelry...

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. I hope to stay focused on clay for
a while now (I take it by spells) so maybe I can answer something someday.

Soooooo...... is anyone out there???
Alisa

Old August 30th 05, 01:26 AM
C Ryman

The patina paint might be the instant antiquing stuff. You paint on a
metallic paint then a solution that changes it to green or what ever. Works
on wood and other paintable stuff, found it at Micheal's.
My local Micheal's has Etchant but it's locked in a case with the air
brushes.
Armour Etch - http://www.etchworld.com/cat--Armour+Etch--Armour+Etch

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old August 30th 05, 03:08 PM
cAndRaley

Thank you, Connie! That's very helpful and so nice of you.
I have some of the antiquing stuff made for rust; I'll have to take another
look at what's available...
And I'll check into the etchant at Michaels. I remember hearing that people
were stealing it for some malicious purpose (???) and stores were locking it
up; then I saw it at Walmart right on the shelf. Now it would seem they've
stopped carrying it at all.
Thanks again; have a great day!
~Alisa