Repairing scratched crockery.

Old June 6th 05, 12:17 AM
Ian Stirling

Default Repairing scratched crockery.

Silly question.
I have scratched plates.
I have a electrically fired kiln that will go up to 1000C.
Is it possible if I put plates in kiln set at correct temperature, and
ramped it up and down correctly, that the glaze would reflow?

Old June 6th 05, 03:15 AM

it'll reflow - but your colors may shift some.

~ although some of my re-fired pieces come out looking better then the
1st fire.

i do this on chipped pieces.

see ya

steve.

Old June 6th 05, 03:26 AM
Xtra News

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Silly question.
I have scratched plates.
I have a electrically fired kiln that will go up to 1000C.
Is it possible if I put plates in kiln set at correct temperature, and
ramped it up and down correctly, that the glaze would reflow?

A friend did this to some willow pattern dishes he had. The scratching and
crazing dissapeared, but there were nasty patches of discolouring. He would
not attempt it again.

Old June 10th 05, 10:40 AM
Ian Stirling

Xtra News wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Silly question.
I have scratched plates.
I have a electrically fired kiln that will go up to 1000C.
Is it possible if I put plates in kiln set at correct temperature, and
ramped it up and down correctly, that the glaze would reflow?

A friend did this to some willow pattern dishes he had. The scratching and
crazing dissapeared, but there were nasty patches of discolouring. He would
not attempt it again.

Worked, sort-of for the bit I tested.
However, kiln had not been used in anger for some time, and some stuff has
fallen over the item I tested.
Little blue blisters.
I probably should have vacuumed out the kiln, and tried it with something else
first
Actually, the problem was cracked glaze - which has been fixed, not scratches
as I mentioned.
Old June 10th 05, 07:24 PM
dkat

Just a note - if these are antique pieces, you are destroying their value if
you refire them. I just cringed with pain to hear of the willow patterned
dishes being refired.
Donna

Old June 10th 05, 10:34 PM
Ian Stirling

dkat wrote:
Just a note - if these are antique pieces, you are destroying their value if
you refire them. I just cringed with pain to hear of the willow patterned
dishes being refired.

Supermarket plates, maybe 1980s?
Not exactly antique.
Well, yet.
Old June 11th 05, 08:46 PM
dkat

(silly me having images of the old ware where the cobalt bled into the
glaze - love that stuff). Donna

Old June 13th 05, 07:30 AM
Xtra News

"dkat" wrote in message
Just a note - if these are antique pieces, you are destroying their value
if
you refire them. I just cringed with pain to hear of the willow patterned
dishes being refired.
Donna

I mentioned a friend doing that, but they were not particularly old, nor
valuable )
He collects antiques and is aware of values.

Repairing a line JC Home Knots 2 January 4th 05 09:07 PM
Repairing bisque prior to glazing? Susan Lawton Pottery 3 July 21st 04 09:37 PM
Printing on plates and crockery Louise General Crafting 2 May 5th 04 06:52 PM
repairing deep scratch in polymer beads? bluemaxx Polymer Clay 2 December 14th 03 12:41 AM
Repairing needles Angelicsong Yarn 4 November 8th 03 01:24 AM