design suggestions needed

Old August 29th 03, 03:37 PM
Kathy in CA

Default design suggestions needed

I practised making an 8 pointed star in HSTs. I made 4 WH/mats in Americana.
They are not backed yet but turned out really nice. The individual squares
in the block are 4 1/2" so they were each 16" square before the 3 borders
added.

Last night I started an 8 point star in HSTs for a twin day bed. The star
points are alternating dark green and light green with a creme on creme bg.
The individual squares are 8 1/2" so the design is 32" sq. I added 1 1/2
inch creme strips all around to set off the star. I am thinking for the next
round I will do flying geese in lt green with the creme corners or
alternating the dark green and light green with creme corners.

I need to make this quilt longer than wide so I need suggestions of what
kind of blocks to add to add to the top and bottom before I add the borders.
I will make a small 8 point star for each outside corner as part of the
border.

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old August 29th 03, 11:43 PM
nzl*

sounds lovely.
lots of flying geese are always good.
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
this is my favourite way but you gotta be accurate on your sewing lines, so
measure til ya get em perfect scant 1/4 inch.
i am wondering if there is enough contrast between the light green and cream
for the geese to show up properly.
how do the stars look from a distance?
i wonder can you add any other colour/s?
a row of the geese top and bottom will extend nicely. you could put in a
strip of sashing between the stars and the geese as well.
lots of hsts in a row could work too, repeats the hst in the diamonds but
just one after the other, so will look different.
how big is it now? i kinda got lost on your numbers, sorry.
sorry, that was just my running off in design mode.
jeanne

"Kathy in CA" wrote...

Old August 30th 03, 11:12 AM
Roberta Zollner

You could do a row on each end of smaller 4X4 star blocks, maybe 8" so you'd
have 4 in each row. The variations are endless (in fact, it's often called
Variable Star). And it would add 16" to the length. I like the flying geese
idea.
Roberta in D

Old August 30th 03, 04:32 PM
Kathy Stephens

I read your message just before I left work yesterday but couldnt
respond because my work computer suddenly didnt work right! Good thing I
am now on vacation! They have all next week to fix it!

Any way the 8 point star is one BIG star--32 inch square, I added a 1
1/2 inch border. Last nite I tested 3 version of the flying geese. You
were rght abt the creme on the corners it was really blah! Since I did
not really want a fourth color I decided that the flying geense would be
light green with the dark green for the corners. So I will work on that
this week. Also decided to make one one of the Shooting Stars 2 from
quilter's cache for the top and bottom of the quilt. I think by that
point it will be both wide enough and long enough to start the borders.

Kathy in CA