Glaze mess

Old July 24th 03, 09:06 PM
Clayslinger

Default Glaze mess

I'm no expert except to say "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt".
Here is my experience:
1. How do I get them off my shelves?
I use a chisel or screwdriver (bugs the hell out of my hubby) and a hammer.
Try not to take too much kiln shelf with it (duh, that's a given). I tap
gently right at the base of the pot angled more flat then down.
2. Once they're off then how do I make my shelves usable again?
Grind or sand them down, re-wash with kiln wash. Sometimes I dab the kiln
wash into the dented bits to help even out the shelf again - tends to flake
off as you fire with it though.
3. What temperature is a good temp to remove pieces from the kiln after
glaze firing?
Not sure on exact temp, but I have used oven mitts to empty a kiln in a
hurry (if I need to re-fire it with a new load). If I can wait I do, until
they are totally cool (then you don't get the pigging)
4. Is it normal to hear popping/crackling noises---not big ones but
they're there?
In my experience NO! it is not normal. From what I understand it is the pot
cooling too fast and causes the glaze to crackle (not good especially on
food ware)
5. Will I ever get used to the disappointment of ruined pieces and not be
quite so upset?
Probably not - not for those really nice pieces.
For example, last winter our guild had an exhibition. I had some pieces
bisqued that were sitting around waiting to be finished. I worked really
hard at the underglazing etc and fired them with some students' work. The
damn kiln over fired. I do ^6 and this kiln went to about ^10 or 11 as the
clay was all bubbled and deformed. Lost about 4 really nice pieces. I cried,
then I took a hammer to a couple just to vent the frustration =-) After all
what else are ya gonna do with them?
I have plans for a fountain in my front yard made mostly of seconds that did
not make it out of the kiln properly for one reason or another. Now when
something doesn't work (glaze flaws mostly) I add it to the pile for the
fountain. May not get the frustration vented but isn't adding to my shard
garden either.
Hope I was able to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing!

Old July 24th 03, 10:36 PM
Monika Schleidt

"L.Mac" wrote:

I just completed my first glaze firing and upon opening the lid found
a big mess. Well, one of my taller pieces had fallen during firing
and melted onto 3 other pieces (including my two favorite :-( ) as
well as onto two of the shelves. So, my questions are....1. How do I
get them off my shelves?

chisel and hammer, gently.

2. Once they're off then how do I make my
shelves usable again?

sanding and kilnwash, takes some time though....

3. What temperature is a good temp to remove
pieces from the kiln after glaze firing?

cool. If it has to be, anything below 200°C

4. Is it normal to hear
popping/crackling noises---not big ones but they're there?

When, after they have been removed from the kiln?

5. Will I
ever get used to the disappointment of ruined pieces and not be quite
so upset?

Yes, but it also takes time. You get used to everything sooner or later

I have been potting for some 35 years now. It gets better with time.

Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old July 26th 03, 12:55 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

I've definitely been trying to decide what I want to mosaic :-)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:06:54 GMT, Jan Clauson
wrote:

L.Mac wrote:
I just completed my first glaze firing and upon opening the lid found
a big mess. Well, one of my taller pieces had fallen during firing
and melted onto 3 other pieces (including my two favorite :-( ) as
well as onto two of the shelves. So, my questions are....1. How do I
get them off my shelves? 2. Once they're off then how do I make my
shelves usable again? 3. What temperature is a good temp to remove
pieces from the kiln after glaze firing? 4. Is it normal to hear
popping/crackling noises---not big ones but they're there? 5. Will I
ever get used to the disappointment of ruined pieces and not be quite
so upset?
Thanks in advance for the help.
LMac

1. How do I get them off my shelves?
I use a hammer and chisel

2. Once they're off then how do I make my shelves usable again? I
use a hammer and chisel for the heavy spots and sand the rest.
Rotary sander might work with the right type of grit.

3. What temperature is a good temp to remove pieces from the kiln
after glaze firing? When they are cool enough to touch with
your bare hands.

4. Is it normal to hear popping/crackling noises---not big ones but
they're there? If you mean when you open the kiln, the answer
is No. Popping and crackling noises indicate possible cracking
of the pots and/or glazes.

5. Will I ever get used to the disappointment of ruined pieces and
not be quite so upset? No. Good tension reliever is to take
the ruined pots and smash them. We used to throw them against a
cement wall. Be sure to sweep up all the shards - penance for
childish temper tantrum and leaves no sharp pieces on the floor.
Also, if you save the pieces, you can eventually make some
pretty nifty mosaics.

Jan C.

for the glaze gurus Clayslinger Pottery 4 July 25th 03 10:58 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM
Glaze retouching Suzan Pottery 0 July 10th 03 07:19 PM
Crystaline glaze "problem?" larry_kruzan Pottery 1 July 3rd 03 07:23 PM