Knot for making a net

Old January 8th 04, 12:45 PM
Helmut Dreyer

Default Knot for making a net

Hello,

I want to build some nets made of rubber rope in order to hasten baggage on
my canoe. I think I just need do find a knot which is normally used to build
nets for fishing. So far I found many, many knots in the internet ... but
none I can use to build a net.

Can someone help ??

Thanks
// Helmut

Old January 8th 04, 07:19 PM
roo

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ca...nots&scoring=d

Or search Google groups under the rec.crafts.knots group for "cargo
net" and sort by date.

The rubber might make things tricky. Good luck.

-roo

Old January 9th 04, 02:21 PM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"Helmut Dreyer" wrote:

Hello,

I want to build some nets made of rubber rope in order to hasten baggage on
my canoe. I think I just need do find a knot which is normally used to build
nets for fishing. So far I found many, many knots in the internet ... but
none I can use to build a net.

The most common knots used for netting are granny (pooh-poohed by purists,
but it does 'bite' and will not let lose), square(reef) or sheet bend.

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/
Old January 10th 04, 04:32 AM
Dan Lehman

"Helmut Dreyer" wrote:

I want to build some nets made of rubber rope in order to fasten baggage
onto my canoe. I think I just need do find a knot which is normally used
to build nets for fishing.

[roo] The rubber might make things tricky.

Since nets for fishing aren't made with rubber (and in some aspects,
as was recently discussed here, material with opposite qualities
--VERY slick & inelastic (HMPE (Spectra/Dyneema))), it's a fair bet
that you don't want fishing-net knots. As Roo notes, your material
poses some problems uncommon to normal nets.

I'd suggest you use a sort of Granny structure, and set each knot
firmly by hand, loading all four ends--you should expect the set
knots to hold a tension greater than the unloaded net, and this
should keep them in shape. I think that the frictive nature of
rubber will make the knots resist pulling apart, and the elastic
material will provide yield away from the knot to help.
(But, of course, check this and see). A square/reef form is less
accommodating of the angles of a net, and I think more likely to
deform.

I know from the experience of tying rubber bands, and a piece of
(hollow core) rubber rope (shock cord) that I have, that one has
to make deliberate effort--one hand holding the knot body, e.g.--
to get tension through the initial nip into the knot body; so,
once done, I think it's reasonable to expect the knot to hold it
against not-too-great loads.

--dl*
====
Old January 10th 04, 02:30 PM
Peter W. Meek

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:45:17 +0100, "Helmut Dreyer"
wrote:

Hello,

I want to build some nets made of rubber rope in order to hasten baggage on
my canoe. I think I just need do find a knot which is normally used to build
nets for fishing. So far I found many, many knots in the internet ... but
none I can use to build a net.

Can someone help ??

Expecting netting knots to stay in elastic cord
is futile.

I would crimp the intersections. Actually, I would
not cross the strands, but run them side by side
like expanded metal mesh screening, alternately
crimping a strand first to the strand to its right
and then to the strand to its left.

Lay out the relaxed size of your net on a sheet
of plywood and drive a nail at each corner. String
your edge cord around the nails, maybe crimping
a loop at each corner. Then start filling in the
"fabric" of the net, crimping at each point where
the net cord reaches the edge, and crimping each
net cord to its neighbors, alternating sides. Keep
everything snug but not stretched; there is no easy
way to judge how much stretch you are putting in,
so none at all is best.

My favorite wire for crimping bungee cord is stainless
steel TIG filler rod, which you can get at most welding
supply stores. Wind it around a rod mandrel then cut
off single turns and close the resulting Hog Rings with
hog-ring pliers. I usually choose the mandrel size to give
me about 2+ full turns after the ring is closed around
the bungee cord. Something similar should work for
rubber cord.

1/16" or 3/32" SS filler rod will be plenty big and
is about as stiff a wire as you can easily close
with the hog ring pliers. Might as well get the
316L; it's the most corrosion-resistant.

If you can't find them locally, you can get decent hog
ring pliers from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for
about $11 +S&H part# 5416A15. You can also get the
SS filler rod from them (page 3117 of the on-line
catalog). (You can search for page numbers and part
numbers from the main page.)

--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"

Gordian knot HAWKNFROG Knots 3 February 4th 05 04:58 PM
Handy knot sites Marisa Cappetta Beads 2 May 17th 04 03:25 PM
New Net Knot? Brian Grimley Knots 11 November 9th 03 02:08 AM
Trip bowline; Inside hitch; Tarbuck knot Dan Lehman Knots 1 August 22nd 03 05:29 PM
Winch strap knot? werlax Knots 1 August 9th 03 03:20 PM