Opinions needed quick -- it's not pretty

Old October 17th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Opinions needed quick -- it's not pretty

I've made a baby quilt for good friends. It's bright and beautiful and
I will be sad to see it leave my sewing room. I started quilting it
and it's taken a bit of time because my hands keep giving me a bit of
trouble. So I'm nearly done, nearly ready to bind and maybe gift the
thing before the baby is walking (maybe) and I stopped and took a
long, long look. The quilting is not pretty on the back. The front is
so gorgeous. I worked with the sunflowers and little boxes and the
like. The back is not pretty. No eyelashes, just.... not what I
wanted. I usually just quilt baby quilts with a big meander or wavy
lines. I wanted this one to be special. I'm sadly considering trying
to find another fabric I like for a backing and putting a thin flannel
between the current back and the new back and just tacking that on.
What do you think? I'm a bit depressed about this. (Ok, having a down
few days...... stuff, you know?) And I don't know if I'm making a big
deal out of nothing. What do you think? http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetexsun/
And just so you know, the images were scanned and they are NOT good
color. Also, everything is flattened so you can't tell the texture. I
will be putting a photo of the quilt up in a day or two. It should
look better. But what about the back?

Sunny
Old October 17th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Are we talking about the green and white check? I know the feeling of not
liking the back of a quilt (only too well), but it looks fine. You should
wash the quilt and send it on to its lucky recipient.

Trixie

Old October 17th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

It looks okay to me. Finish binding it and give it away. Babies aren't
fussy or critical.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 17th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now, Now, NOW, Sunny. Do you know what tots do with their quilts? They
hurl recycled spinach on them, they chew off the rims, dry the dog, make a
Batman cape and a tent over the coffee table.
To add to the insult, Daddy 'helps', pours a cup of bleach on the dry
quilt and washes it in hot water.
I just finished one that has some little tucky pleats on the backing.
Just a few.
They don't please me but it will really and truly never matter.
You weren't hoping they would box your quilt in acid-free tissue and send it
to a museum, were you? Polly

Old October 17th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I doubt the baby would be bothered by it. However, I understand how you
feel. I actually had a quilting instructor tell us if we didn't like the
back, put on a false back-which is what you're thinking about. Do you have a
fairly busy print available now? If so, just put it on the back. I don't
know that I'd add flannel between the backs. That might make it way too
heavy for a little one, plus if you use a busy fabric, the original
shouldn't show through.
Gen

Old October 17th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sunny wrote:
[...]

Big deal over nothing, love. The back is very fine and a complement to
the front.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 17th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Oct 16, 8:38*pm, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think you're making a big deal over nothing. I think it looks
fine.
And I also suspect that quilters are the only ones who really
scrutinize
the back of a quilt....especially the one who made it!
That quilt is just lovely and it will be probably loved into tatters
in a few years.
We are each our own worst critics, but honestly in this case I don't
think
it's justified.
ps & OT: I adore gingham and that probably makes me biased to review
that quilt...BTW, there's a fabric line out now called "Sweetie Pie"
that
has awesome ginham checks in it. Very substantial fabric that has that
nice "feel" to it. The other florals, etc. that complement are pretty
too.

Sherry
Old October 17th 09, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Here's a first thing in the morning opinion!

Polly (and others) is quite right. One way to get yourself to see this
is to wash it (when it has been bound). It will all crinkle up
naturally. I couldn't see the quilting well enough on the back, even
magnified, to see what you meant - so that should tell you there isn't a
great problem.

However, if you *do* want to cover it up, putting on a false back is
quite an acceptable thing to do. Like Gen, I wouldn't put anything
between it and the back. Wash it before you put the false back on (just
in case it 'shrinks' again - the stitching might shrink and pull the
rest of the quilt a bit smaller). Put the back on, however you meant to
do that, and tie it: one at each corner and one in the centre (disguised
as a flower centre) of each block. I wouldn't do ties with tails, just
a single motif or tiny patch of buttonhole stitches.
..
In message
,
Sunny writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 17th 09, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've made a baby quilt for good friends. It's bright and beautiful and
I will be sad to see it leave my sewing room. [...] The quilting is not
pretty on the back. The front is so gorgeous.

No time to look at the pictures just now to see exactly what you mean.

Just cover it with a secondary back, tied and attached at the edge, maybe?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old October 17th 09, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Well, so it's not quite what you wanted -that's life! IMO it looks a
LOT better than many I've seen, and you are the only person upset
about it. You could always add a tied back as you suggest, but it
truly won't matter to that baby or its parents. They will just be so
impressed with what a pretty quilt you gave them!

Anyway, if you used a cotton batt, it will shrink up a bit with
washing and make the texture look different. If you then have a
"loose" back added on, it won't flow with the rest of the piece.
Roberta in D

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:38:17 -0700 (PDT), Sunny
wrote:

[...]

Opinions Needed joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 25 November 23rd 07 08:04 PM
Opinions, pretty please? Connie[_2_] Quilting 49 July 7th 07 08:36 AM
EQ5 opinions needed desert quilter Quilting 20 February 23rd 06 06:45 PM
opinions needed Dopeytaz4 Quilting 12 August 11th 05 06:25 AM
opinions needed Sandy Foster Quilting 13 August 6th 05 03:41 PM