good source to buy very small tin boxes/containers?

Old June 27th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
Mad Scientist Jr

Default good source to buy very small tin boxes/containers?

Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Old June 27th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
kony

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:14:03 -0700, Mad Scientist Jr
wrote:

Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

As with many small project enclosures, the market is crazy
such that you can get it as a container for a product,
cheaper than if the container IS the product.

I think you'll find buying empty tins is more expensive
unless you bought them by the pallet. Possible alternatives
in the tiny size you want include pill tins or gum tins. I
haven't seen any pill tins like this for years (but then I
hadn't been looking for them) but the candy isle at your
local stores are probably still the best bet (if not at the
checkout / cash register lanes.
Old June 27th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
Al

In article . com,
Mad Scientist Jr wrote:

Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

A cheap pocket watch that doesn't work. Toss the guts, and you have a
nice case. Fools the eye, as the French say.

Al
Old June 27th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
Richard Crowley

"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote ...
Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

I make small (and even medium-to-large) cases of arbitrary
sizes out of various widths of aluminum "U-channel" for the
sides and flat pieces of aluminum (or ABS textured plastic, etc.)
for the "top" and "bottom". For rather small sizes, both the
channel and the flat pieces are stock items at larger R/C
hobby / model stores.

Old June 28th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
Richard

Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Check the "containers" section...

http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm

Old June 28th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,rec.audio.tech,rec.music.makers.guitar
MadEngineer

On Jun 27, 8:14 am, Mad Scientist Jr
wrote:
Over the years I have found random tins (some square with hinges, some
round) are great to use for project boxes. Especially for very small
circuits (ie preamps) that need RF shielding.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of small tins? Buying them at the
supermarket gets expensive, and I hate wasting mints (I already have
too many! my teeth can't take anymore!). For my current project even a
box half the size of an Altoids box would be too big (I am currently
looking for something the size of a matchbox, or round ones as big
around as a quarter and about 1/3" deep).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

73,
AC7ZN Glenn