knitting machine

Old April 17th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default knitting machine

I received a "knitting machine" for Christmas, its called the Ultimate
Sweater Machine, only name I could find. I got it to knit!, but I cant get
it to move back(purl?). The instructions are not clear when it comes to
this.. does anyone have a suggestion or know where I could find the answer?

I am also looking for an easy vest pattern to knit. Thanks for your help..
remove nospam from email address.

Old April 17th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Hi Marilyn,

Are you saying that the carriage will only go in one direction? You
slide it across, and then it gets stuck?

Or are you able to slide it back and forth, but you are only getting
one type of stitch - not knit and purl as in hand knitting?

If the latter is what you have, that is exactly what the USM (and other
knitting machines) do; the "purl" side is facing you, and you are
producing lots of beautiful stockinette stitch knit fabric. You can
manipulate the stitches and needles to make patterns, but default is
stockinette.

If your carriage will only go in one direction though, you have a
problem - not unfixable, but let us hear if that is indeed what is
going on, then someone can make some suggestions about what to try.

There is a great Bond group on Yahoo Groups that you would really
enjoy, with lots of wonderful people ready to offer patterns and help;
have a look at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incred...ermachineclub/

Peggy

Old April 18th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Knitting machines only do purl. The only exception is the Brother
garter carriage, which is a special carriage for knitting purl and knit
in the same row.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your USM

Old April 18th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

steel breeze wrote:

Knitting machines only do purl. The only exception is the Brother
garter carriage, which is a special carriage for knitting purl and knit
in the same row.

One could just as easily say that they only do knit!
And of course, adding a ribber gives both knit and purl in one row.....
Old April 18th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

S Viemeister wrote:
steel breeze wrote:

Knitting machines only do purl. The only exception is the Brother
garter carriage, which is a special carriage for knitting purl and knit
in the same row.

One could just as easily say that they only do knit!
And of course, adding a ribber gives both knit and purl in one row.....

A ribber, a garter bar, or you can do single stitches with that little
double-ended latch they sell for the Brother garter carriage.

My inclination would be to try some tuck patterns to find a surface
texture that pleased. Tucking on the machine is a treat, especially if
you've done a tuck pattern with two needles.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth