Nancy Crow

Old January 21st 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Nancy Crow

Hi Everyone

Last night I went to a lecture/slide show by Nancy Crow. What a body of
work she has produced. It was very interesting and too broad to give an
adequate report.

She has a new book going to the publisher any day and expected ?February.

For her workshops she apparently wanted 100 YARDS of hand dyed solids in
gradation!

Some of her pieces are 3-4 feet wide by up to 10 feet long! She uses a step
ladder to help her place blocks. She has a studio attached to her house,
below that a dye studio. Then she has the two story barn that is another
studio and workshop space and attached to that she has her photo studio!!!

They have two barns on their acreage in Ohio!!!

Anyone willing to take out a mortgage to take the workshop?

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old January 21st 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My art quilt buddy once suggested we go to Art Quilt Tahoe. Nancy Crow
was teaching that year and when I looked at her supply list I about died
laughing. Seriously, I have a rubbermaid bin for my entire stash and
she wanted me to come up with 100 years that I had hand dyed? ha. I
could just imagine lugging all that fabric that I had toiled away on and
at the end of the week returning home with a 1 foot square thing I had
managed to make and all the rest of that fabric.

Here's the link to the retreat

http://www.artquilttahoe.com/

I think if you work like that (or like Carol Bryer Fallert or the rest
of those who make large pieces and dye their own fabric) you have to
have a huge studio. You just can't work like that at the dining room
table.

marcella

Old January 21st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Now, I would really like to see that. Wonder if they allow observers? You
know, ones who curl up on the sofa with a sack of potato chips and a 6-pack?
Polly

"Marcella Peek" wrote in part My art quilt buddy once suggested we go to

Old January 21st 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Now, that's just a bit too much studio for one person- sheesh! Can
she possibly be earning enough money from her quilting to justify all
that expense? If so, I wanna know how so I can do it! Having done a
fair amount of fabric dying myself, I can't begin to imagine the amount
of work 100 yards would be! Just the dyes and plastic bags, etc. would
"break the bank" in our household. Then I'd still have to buy the 100
yards of PFD fabric- at about $4-5 per yard??? And then the cost of
the workshop, too? YIKES! Only the wealthiest quilters could manage
it...... too bad for that.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 21st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well out of curiosity I checked out her web site. http://www.nancycrow.com/
I think Leslie she does earn lots from quilting. Her class is $695 includes
your meals and no accommodations. Than the 100 yards of fabric, $500.00
plus the dyes, not to mention your time. Yep, you're right, must have a
huge quilting budget to attend her class. I can't imagine how big a quilt
would be with that much fabric.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

ups.com...

Old January 21st 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

i wonder how many students she gets with those rates!

C&S wrote:

Well out of curiosity I checked out her web site. http://www.nancycrow.com/
I think Leslie she does earn lots from quilting. Her class is $695 includes
your meals and no accommodations. Than the 100 yards of fabric, $500.00
plus the dyes, not to mention your time. Yep, you're right, must have a
huge quilting budget to attend her class. I can't imagine how big a quilt
would be with that much fabric.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old January 21st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Plenty of students; her workshops and retreats are (usually)
full, sold out. Look at those pics of the barn workshops;
a couple of dozen quilters attending.
I was around when she started marketing her own fabric designs,
and we started carrying (and selling!) her fabric;
many quilters just didn't "get" it; others, thank goodness, did.
She's a fabulous artist with a great imagination.
...whatever threads your needle ... g

Ragmop/Sandy -- "quilting budget" ? ;-)

Old January 22nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oh, I love her work, I borrowed a book from the library about her
development as a quilter once, with pics of her studio/barn etc.. very
interesting. but how many of us could afford that workshop?

Old January 23rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well as unpopular as it might seem. I would love to take a workshop with
Nancy Crow. She is the quintessential art quilter. She is a pioneer. I'd
love to get some tips from her, and may do just that when I am old and rich.
Well, maybe I never will be able to go to one of those awesome retreats, but
I still want to.

The reason she tells people to bring so much fabric is so when you get to a
specific place in the workshop with your piece you will have what you need
and enough yardage to do what you want to do. It would be a shame to need
3/4 yard and you only have 1/2. It's like an oil painting class requireing
you to have 42 colors of oil paints. That may sound excessive to someone
who thinks you can do just fine with 7, but you can do so much more if you
have more to choose from. Unfortunately with fabric, you can't just mix up
a new color once you get to the class. She wants you to bring as much as
you can afford.

Carol in TX
need therapy? make a quilt!

Old January 23rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carol-

Not unpopular at all! I'd LOVE to take a workshop with her! But, by
the time I paid for the travel, meals, the workshop, the 100 yards of
fabric, and the incidentals- I couldn't afford it... shoot, I'd rather
spend the money for a used Gammill long arm! LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"C&S" wrote in message

[...]

OT - Selfish Americans (Kathy N-V eats crow) Kathy N-V Beads 35 January 12th 05 09:02 PM
FA:: Sandy Scenes, Volume II by Nancy L. Cole, 1975 TPB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 October 15th 04 02:52 AM
New Northcott, Timeless Treasures, Nancy Crow, more at The Virginia Quilter! The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 September 17th 04 05:54 PM
just want to crow val189 Needlework 1 February 15th 04 02:40 AM
I loved "sewing with Nancy" this weekend Kraterfields Quilting 1 February 4th 04 04:35 PM