de-lurking with a color question

Old August 14th 03, 09:33 PM
Jennifer Moore

Default de-lurking with a color question

Hi all,
I've enjoyed reading your posts for a few months now. I have a question
about semiprecious stone color. I'm looking for a periwinkle or dark
lavender colored stone -- any suggestions? Something that's relatively
easy to find and not outrageously expensive would be best.

A little info about me:
I've been beading since 1992. I started as a freshman in college at
Ohio University in Athens: Joey and Phil still run Beads & Things on the
west side of town. Their inventory is amazing if you ever get a chance
to visit. I now live outside of Raleigh NC, home of an amazing bead
sto www.ornamentea.com

My favorite projects usually involve chunky, funky beads and sterling
silver. I'm also into wire-wrapping but haven't done a whole lot. Last
December, I sold a bunch of work at a holiday craft sale, which was
encouraging. I had hoped to do some fairs this summer, but I've been
planning like crazy for my wedding in September. I'm making the jewelry
for myself and the women participating in the ceremony.

The periwinkle bead question is for my sister's (and maid of honor)
necklace. I'm planning a single strand necklace for her, with a color
gradient from the center to the back: lighter reds to darker reds to
purples then periwinkle. Her dress is a coral red color, and the
flowers are red dahlias and zinnias with purple asters for a lil pop of
bright color.

I didn't mean for this to be so long. I'm a bead freak -- can you tell?

Thanks!
Jenni

Old August 14th 03, 09:55 PM
Sjpolyclay

have a question
about semiprecious stone color.

Hi there Jenni!
There's always amythst, and I think Tanzanite is also a purply-blue.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 14th 03, 09:56 PM
Carol in SLC

I didn't mean for this to be so long. I'm a bead freak -- can you tell?

Welcome, Jenni!! The periwinkle will be tough to match with a semiprecious
stone. You might consider having one of our lampworkers make you a strand of
gradiated sized beads in the color you want. I would look at amethyst for your
lavendar since it comes in many shades of purple.

Carol in SLC

Old August 14th 03, 11:00 PM
Christina Peterson

Welcome, and worry first about your wedding. Everything else is secondary
to that.

Amythest will give a wide variety of lavender to purples. But the
periwinkle will be much harder and more expensive. So rather than have
glass or stone (opaque) for one person and translucent gemstone for the
other, I'd suggest artist made beads.

Tina

Old August 14th 03, 11:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm looking for a periwinkle or dark
lavender colored stone --

Iolite? I've seen some dyed quartz that color.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 15th 03, 01:28 PM
Shelby

Welcome, Jenni! And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!

I think it's so cool that you're doing the jewelry for the wedding. How
much more those pieces will mean for you and your bridal party. Kudos!

I'm into stringing - peyote and that stuff just baffles me. I'm a
married mom of two and I don't post a lot due to a shortage of time. I'm
usually around, though, and look forward to getting to know you!

Shelby

PS Sorry I can't help with a source for the beads you need!

Old August 16th 03, 12:27 AM
Carol in SLC

tgif

Amen!!

Carol in SLC
What I do in my spare time: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/
Old August 16th 03, 06:17 PM
Helen Page

Jennifer Moore wrote:
Hi all,
I've enjoyed reading your posts for a few months now. I have a
question about semiprecious stone color. I'm looking for a
periwinkle or dark lavender colored stone -- any suggestions?
Something that's relatively easy to find and not outrageously
expensive would be best.

Angelite is a nice blue... I got some in a Bulk Bead Buy a while ago and
they are a lovely and very consistent colour. And not expensive at all (or I
wouldn't have been able to get them).

Old August 16th 03, 09:42 PM
Jewitch

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:17:13 +0100, "Helen Page"
wrote:

Angelite is a nice blue... I got some in a Bulk Bead Buy a while ago and
they are a lovely and very consistent colour. And not expensive at all (or I
wouldn't have been able to get them).

Oh! I wish I'd know it wasn't very expensive. I saw some last week-end
at a show but it wasn't marked and I could never get the attention of
the vendor. It was beautiful. I'm still drooling!

Next time I'll know and I'll buy!

Thanks, Helen.

Jewitch