On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Old January 13th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

Default On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Wow Steve,

I must be end of the scale according to her definitions.

I use new and used material to make my quilts. I look for cotton sheets and
pillowcases in our local opportunity shops and even have some saved for me
by the workers.

I recently made a lovely quilt for a friend, who was diagnosed with cancer,
entirely from secondhand material and it was beautiful (I think so) and so
did my friends.

I am nowhere in the league of the quilters on RCTQ but I love it and get a
great deal of enjoyment from making things for me and other people. I am
still learning the basics.

Here is a link to the quilt I made for my friend,
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...98582112ohbopM
and the backing was a sheet to match one of the squares.

Regards,
Di

"steve" wrote in message
Okay everyone. Fasten your seatbelts for this one.

So, I do have my biases, but I'll try to set the stage and let you decide.
I was at a planning meeting yesterday with fellow teachers and our
students.
The Home Ec teacher and I discovered a common interest in quilting. My
perception of her background. She and her husband are police, military
and
republican social climber wannabees. She complains about how little we
get
paid but then complains about how high our property taxes are. Granted,
that is our only tax in the state but it is also the lowest if not the
lowest in the nation. Less than 15 mills. Her husband HAD TO HAVE a
two-story work garage with the second floor being his office and
sports-watching man-room with bi-fold airplane hanger type front wall door
which they complained about the shipping to Alaska cost. She HAD TO REDO
her kitchen and could only have solid cherry cabinets with granite
countertops, stainless appliances, etc., "because it's the best". Get the
picture.

So anyways, we get to talking about quilting, and of course I get the
attitude that I shouldn't be quilting since I'm a man. She let me know
that
our LQS is having a sale because she is going to get small florals and
other
such designs by the bolt for the backings on her quilts. Here's the
kicker.
She informed me that my quilting was not of a high enough caliber to be
considered seriously since I "simply use muslin" for my backings.
(Apparently according to her, this is the opinion of others in the guild
here in the Eagle River, not Anchorage or Palmer.) True quilts only have
fashion fabric backings, with fabric only bought from your LQS, never from
JoAnn's or Walmart or anywhere else.

I had to practically bite my tongue off. We were in the company of
teenagers that are the state officers for our Student Technical
Organizations and I needed to be professional. But, I wanted to ask her
where her ribbons were from the State Fair. Where were the offers to
teach
classes. (Yes I've been asked but have declined, I'm just too busy.)
Where
were the people asking her for advice and how-tos and so on. I'm not
sorry
to say that while the quality of fabric at JoAnn's and Walmart may not be
the best, sometimes they have had just the exact right color or pattern of
fabric that I need. I can by an entire bolt of muslin, and I buy the
better
quality, from JoAnn's at a discounted rate and it does just fine for the
backings of my wall quilts, and even my bed quilts.

I am proud of my quilting and acknowledge that I have strong points and
techniques that I need to continue to work on. But sheesh, since I use
muslin on the back of my quilts they are not "serious". Give me a break.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 13th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

Simply put Steve, she's a snob, you're just fine. 'Nuff said.
--
Debi

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old January 13th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle[_2_]

Steve,
Your work is wonderful! And you were very strong and courageous to remain
polite to this woman.
Remember that when someone is belittling someone else, it is only to make
themselves feel better; so say a little prayer for her and be polite as you
have to work with her, but know she must be a very sad, insecure person.
Michelle

Old January 14th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Oh my god. Thank you for pointing out that she cleared up the question
of whether I should continue quilting. I am going to sell all my
sewing machines and by a bunch of guns. Then I will more closely fit
her profile of what a "real man" should be doing. Or not! She is an
ass, and I would keep my interaction with her to a minimum, if I were
you.

John

Old January 14th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

No, Steve, she's the one who is most definitely missing the point! She's a
snob, wants to let you know how much money she spends, etc., etc.

Donna in Idaho

Old January 14th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

dibs on all the LIME!!
snorfle,
j.

"John" wrote...

Old January 14th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I want the beautiful furniture.
I'll come and get it : )
How is that healing coming along John?

Taria

nzlstar* wrote:
dibs on all the LIME!!
snorfle,
j.

"John" wrote...

Old January 14th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

"steve" wrote in message

I am proud of my quilting and acknowledge that I have strong points and
techniques that I need to continue to work on. But sheesh, since I use
muslin on the back of my quilts they are not "serious". Give me a break.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

I think you are wonderful and exhibited stellar self control to not bite
that woman's head off. Good for you for not playing her insulting game.

Enjoy your quilting (and your ribbons) and ignore her.

marcella
Old January 14th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

nzlstar* wrote:
not to forget Ricki Tims, Raymond Houston, Mark Lipinski et al.
seems to me most men see the world differently than women.
their quilts reflect this difference.
somewhat like cooking. :-D
i wonder who does the cooking in her house?
j.

I particularly love Mark Lipinski and his gorgeously bolshi attitude.
Steven HE is on YOUR side on this debate!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 14th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DiMa wrote:
Wow Steve,

I must be end of the scale according to her definitions.

I use new and used material to make my quilts. I look for cotton sheets and
pillowcases in our local opportunity shops and even have some saved for me
by the workers.

I recently made a lovely quilt for a friend, who was diagnosed with cancer,
entirely from secondhand material and it was beautiful (I think so) and so
did my friends.

I am nowhere in the league of the quilters on RCTQ but I love it and get a
great deal of enjoyment from making things for me and other people. I am
still learning the basics.

Basics is good! I'm still learning too!

Here is a link to the quilt I made for my friend,
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...98582112ohbopM
and the backing was a sheet to match one of the squares.

It's beautiful! Pre-loved fabric for a much loved friend!