On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Old January 13th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Default On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Thank you Carissa for raising your sons to see the diversity of people and
their skills in life. There is hope yet.

Steven
Alaska

"Carissa" wrote in message
Well first two of my sons will be sad to learn they shouldnt quilt as men...
hmmmm They were pretty good too (being sarcastic of course) Maybe you could
point out some of the more famous quilters such as Kaffe Fasset (probably
messed up that name) who are gasp and horror... men. I personally save my
money on backing and use good fabric for the tops. I use an extra wide
flannel that equilter sells to back my quilts normally, or the on sale
Fabricland stuff (which is not bad, but definatly not $15+ per meter our LQS
charge.) Why would you want anything but muslin on the back of wall hanging
anyhow? So the wall can look at it I guess. The only time I ever
regretting my choice in backing was the time I tried out a new technique on
a baby quilt I thought would not be well liked so I used the cheapest
wallmart fabric I could fine... turns out the pattern I chose for the top
was the pattern that was chosen for the nursery. Anyhow, some people are
snobs, and some people are quilters IMO

Carissa
PS I have always called my sons over when you post your pictures as they
like to see what other guys are doing

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are
"steve" wrote in message
Okay everyone. Fasten your seatbelts for this one.

So, I do have my biases, but I'll try to set the stage and let you decide.
I was at a planning meeting yesterday with fellow teachers and our
students.
The Home Ec teacher and I discovered a common interest in quilting. My
perception of her background. She and her husband are police, military
and
republican social climber wannabees. She complains about how little we
get
paid but then complains about how high our property taxes are. Granted,
that is our only tax in the state but it is also the lowest if not the
lowest in the nation. Less than 15 mills. Her husband HAD TO HAVE a
two-story work garage with the second floor being his office and
sports-watching man-room with bi-fold airplane hanger type front wall door
which they complained about the shipping to Alaska cost. She HAD TO REDO
her kitchen and could only have solid cherry cabinets with granite
countertops, stainless appliances, etc., "because it's the best". Get the
picture.

So anyways, we get to talking about quilting, and of course I get the
attitude that I shouldn't be quilting since I'm a man. She let me know
that
our LQS is having a sale because she is going to get small florals and
other
such designs by the bolt for the backings on her quilts. Here's the
kicker.
She informed me that my quilting was not of a high enough caliber to be
considered seriously since I "simply use muslin" for my backings.
(Apparently according to her, this is the opinion of others in the guild
here in the Eagle River, not Anchorage or Palmer.) True quilts only have
fashion fabric backings, with fabric only bought from your LQS, never from
JoAnn's or Walmart or anywhere else.

I had to practically bite my tongue off. We were in the company of
teenagers that are the state officers for our Student Technical
Organizations and I needed to be professional. But, I wanted to ask her
where her ribbons were from the State Fair. Where were the offers to
teach
classes. (Yes I've been asked but have declined, I'm just too busy.)
Where
were the people asking her for advice and how-tos and so on. I'm not
sorry
to say that while the quality of fabric at JoAnn's and Walmart may not be
the best, sometimes they have had just the exact right color or pattern of
fabric that I need. I can by an entire bolt of muslin, and I buy the
better
quality, from JoAnn's at a discounted rate and it does just fine for the
backings of my wall quilts, and even my bed quilts.

I am proud of my quilting and acknowledge that I have strong points and
techniques that I need to continue to work on. But sheesh, since I use
muslin on the back of my quilts they are not "serious". Give me a break.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 13th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Some people can talk a lot of rot, Steve.
They don't realise that *they* are the only ones being belittled - it's
like an own goal - by themselves.
People who think they are impressing others by these means are
definitely deluding themselves; and, if we are strong enough, are to be
pitied.
It is terribly hard not to sink to their level and bandy comparative
words and challenges about; but, if you do this you will look back and
regret that you didn't maintain your dignity, while she completely lost
hers.
So, you keep a tight hold on the 'high' ground, and leave her to wallow
in her position.
As Leslie said, your work is held in great regard here, and there are a
lot of us!
So, don't begin to doubt yourself; just realise what we were told at
school is very true "empty vessels make most sound".
..
In message , steve
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 13th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

No comment on the wannabe bit - that's her problem and you
are right to ignore it.

FWIW - I try to use feature fabrics on the backs of my
quilts, or even piece or applique an entirely different
design so they are reversible. I suppose that because the
front and back are often VERY different in style they are
not "real quilts" according to this "expert"! But the
choice of backing is like everything else in quilting -
maker's choice.

I have used muslin on the back of some quilts, but I prefer
to use it on the front. It dyes beautifully, makes a great
background for applique, and sets of quilted areas just
ine - thankyou very much. If I don't want to make a
"fancy" back for something I can always use a high count
cotton sateen sheet for a nice finish. I wonder what she
would think of that? I guess she thinks that you have to
follow patterns exactly too. While she is probably
annoying, I think it is rather sad to see someone so
constrained by what is "right".

I have friends who insist that if it isn't traditionally
hand quilted it isn't a REAL quilt. They are entitled to
think that way, but my answer is - if my forefathers (or
foremothers lol) had had sewing machines.rotary
cutters/etc available to them they would have used them.
They were hardworking practical quiltmakers who used what
they had to make utility items that were also beautiful.
They would have leapt at the chance to do such things
quicker and easier!

I teach quilting, and I always insist that newbies learn the
"rules", but only so they don't break them through
ignorance. They need to know why something is considered a
"rule" and what the consequences are of breaking the "rule".
But once they have the basics, there are no "rules" in my
classes. They have taught me new ideas many times lol.

Next time she gets on her high horse, just smile pityingly
and think (to yourself) of all the great things she must
miss in her life with attitudes like that. There is no
point to trying to correct people like this. We can only
hope that one day she realises what she is missing, and that
in the meantime she doesn't put too many people off trying
new things.

BTW - I love all your work.

Last thought - you could always leave a magazine article
laying around and wait for her to comment, then tell her
what other quilters REALLY do. A good example would be the
Sharon Schamber quilt that someone mentioned recently here.
It has amassed heaps of awards, and it is gorgeous. It was
also put together with glue and coloured with pencils!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old January 13th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Ok Steve, speaking of buckling your seatbelt ..... she's an ass. Not
the body part but the animal, which produces unpleasant noises from
one end and stinky messes from the other. I'm just going to go way,
way out on a cranky limb (didn't I tell you folks that I'm cranky
today?) and guess that she's just a tad mite homophobic. Just a guess.
Also, she's rude. Why on earth would one person badmouth another
person's efforts? Here in town we have one or two of that type. They
love to jab and belittle. If you buy fabric at JoAnn's or heaven
forbid at Wal-Mart, then you are not really a quilter. And if you've
never won an award, then you;re really not a quilter. And if you don't
hang out at the designated LQS, not the other one.... which obviously
is not quilty enough, then you are not really a quilter.

Burns my butt. I can't stand those women and I can't stand their
husbands and I don't like their kids. They drive big ol' SUV's here on
ice and snow and cut you off in traffic and take up three of the seven
parking spots at the LQS with their one nasty ol' gas guzzler. And
then they make snide remarks.

An example: At my dear friend's memorial serivce I told one of them
that I had inherited my friend's stash. And she replied: (drum roll
here for extreme insensitivity) -- 'Oh I saw her fabric at her garage
sale and most of it could just be thrown away.'

Three years ago one of our very elderly quilters was fortunate enough
to have her middle-aged son and his partner move to town to live and
care for her. The son took up quilting so that he would haVe something
to do with his mom, and because he spent so much time with her at
quilty activities. Low and behold if he didn't win first prize at the
very first quilt show he entered here. The "snide snipers" were
aghast. How could it be? I mean after all, the man wears a pony tail!
Ok, three years on and he's won lots of ribbons and bought tons of
fabric and cares for his little Mama and he's been accepted quite
thoroughly. But some folks still put quotation marks around his name
when t hey say it out loud. Know what I mean?

Ok, it's safe to let thekiddies out again. I will pull over to the
curb and shut up.

Steve, I'm sorry you have to deal with such a jerk. There's no cure
for it, she'll never change. Just remember that you are better than
that and that we all love you and your quilting and admire your work.
And let's be honest, the opinion of just one RCTQ'er is worth more
than the opinions of 1,000 nasty *itches.

Sunny
I'm too cranky to hug anybody

Old January 13th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"steve" wrote:

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Wrong??? Only if generations of quilters were/are also wrong! We buy (1)
what we can afford and (2) what we like. Backings should be as sturdy as
the fabrics used on the front, if only so that they don't wear out more
quickly, but what's wrong with muslin? I used it exclusively on lots of
quilt backs for years, until I moved to a place where I had more choices
and decided to have "fun" with the backings. My quilts won lots of blues
at the county fairs, even a Best of Show there once. Small county, but
still ....

I think you were far more restrained than I probably could have been --
students present or no. I'd probably have very politely told her that
generations of "bona fide" quilters have used muslin, that I (you) had
been asked to teach classes, that there is room for more than one
opinion in the quilting world. Grrr ....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 13th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Memere Neets[_2_]

On Jan 13, 3:57�pm, "steve" wrote:
[...]

no no no no.. you are not wrong... and congrats for "keeping a civil
tongue" and not bringing yourself to her level. I havent seen your
quilts , but I am sure they are gorgeous. I am a fourth generation
quilter and most of the quilts in the family had muslin backs...
hugs Memere Neets
Old January 13th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

roflmao, Kate.
clarifies one thing for me.
as the line from a movie says, tho i dont recall which one.....
"what crawled up her butt and died"

dont know what the cost of fabric is up in alaska.
being 'part' of the usa i'd assume it cost much the same there as in the lower
50.
downunder it costs a small fortune (think second mortgage and yes ya do need to
have a few bucks here to we with the best fabric quilt, tho we do have our
version of joanns (called spotlight))
i do not, as a rule, use the good fabric on backs of quilts because of the cost.
bamboozled in the south pacific,
j.

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote...
Dearie me.

snipped

The poor deluded woman is 'barking through an inappropriate orifice' as I said
in another group about something a bit different. Looks like I'm on your
side, Steven!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 13th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

This is a teacher who has a narrow view of quilting? Does she have a
narrow view about the rest of the world? My daughter who is a college
senior and graduated top of her HS class would have a fantastic time
with this woman. DD loves to make sure that those with a narrow view
know that sometimes, other people may have a different opinion and both
can be right! She sounds a lot like my home ec teacher when I was in
Junior High School. This woman hated everything I did. Our first project
was to make a beach cover out of terry cloth. I had never used a sewing
machine before, had never sewn anything before and all this woman could
do is complain about my stitches and make me pull them out 300 times out
of the terry cloth. No wonder I hate to sew to this day. Still surprise
myself that I will sit down at my SM and quilt.

Debbi in SO CA

Old January 13th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

not to forget Ricki Tims, Raymond Houston, Mark Lipinski et al.
seems to me most men see the world differently than women.
their quilts reflect this difference.
somewhat like cooking. :-D
i wonder who does the cooking in her house?
j.

Old January 13th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

RUN fast-don't walk-away from this person. One word describes her-
RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How awful you must have felt. You do great
work
Gen