WOOHOOO! Patti's book!!

Old November 26th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Default WOOHOOO! Patti's book!!-pencil holding

Actually, this was an area of study for me. Research has shown that
there is a much greater incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome in teens
and young adults who have inadequate pencil grips. Unfortunately, it
has to be caught early. I have had some small successes retraining
students when I introduce them to cursive writing. For students who
have physical difficulty mastering the traditional tripod grip, there
are other alternatives that can be taught that don't cause damage over
time.

Here is a good reference:
http://www.cherokee.k12.ga.us/centra...itingGuide.pdf
http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:44:57 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Well, but Mary, you see, there is a right way and there is a reason. If you
hold a pen or pencil as Virginia's Pat described, you are in a better
position to write legibly and for a long period of time. If you notice
eerie feelings of being haunted, we will suspect it's one of my penmanship
instructors. They showed no mercy and took no hostages. Polly

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old November 26th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

WitchyStitcher wrote:
Actually, this was an area of study for me. Research has shown that
there is a much greater incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome in teens
and young adults who have inadequate pencil grips. Unfortunately, it
has to be caught early. I have had some small successes retraining
students when I introduce them to cursive writing. For students who
have physical difficulty mastering the traditional tripod grip, there
are other alternatives that can be taught that don't cause damage over
time.

Here is a good reference:
http://www.cherokee.k12.ga.us/centra...itingGuide.pdf
http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

When I was teaching I used to teach the kids NOT TO GRIP the pen or
pencil: a light hold was enough. I should be able to take their pen
from their grip without much effort. Mind you, though my own hold on a

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 27th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default WOOHOOO! Patti's book!!

Janice, how absolutely heartbreaking to lose a son at such a young age- or
any age. I hope making the Lute quilt will help your heart to heal.

Leslie

"janice142" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 9:47 am, "KJ" wrote:
I promise I will.....just don't hold your breath while waiting for it!
I'd
hate to see you turn blue and crash to the floor! Especially after
holding
your breath so long waiting for it to come out! :-)

The Lute one is my absolute favorite... for some reason that one in
particular just sings out to me. It's the stars -- years ago (25?) we
took Son and Kidlet to a planetarium and he was totally captivated.
When we returned home we ended up painting the ceiling of his bedroom
black, and painted on stars, the constellations and such. For years
after I bought those glow in the dark stickers too and scattered them
randomly on the ceiling (and a few on the walls)
Additionally, I would cut out pictures of planets, the moon --
anything round! -- and glue it to the ceiling... it was a wonderful
room.

Anyway, that's why one day I need to make the Lute quilt. It reminds
me of Son. He's a star now -- he had one of those dreadful heart
attacks that happen to "other people" when he was just 21... Lute will
be a memorial of sorts. (shrugs)

And that is why I "must" (as soon as the budget recovers) get Pat's
book. That the quilting directions are included is a bonus for
certain!

Old November 27th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ian or Karen

ARGH this is frustrating - everyone is being soo good about not advertising!
What is the title of the book? I missed the start of this thread

Karen

"Patti" wrote in message
That's so very sweet of you Kathyl. Thank you. Make sure you send me a
picture of the one (or more of course!) that you make. I'm hoping to
compile a gallery of quilts that have been made from the book. That would
be really fun!
.
In message VM32j.195940$Xa3.17419@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
I second everything Leslie has said. The praises have been so beautifully
written that I hesitate to write my own. But not writing something would
slight the wonderful book Pat has published. I know the sweat and tears
that it took to produce such a wonderful book, so I have to put in my
humble
two cents and say that I'm so very, very pleased it has all come together
for such a lovely contributor to our newsgroup. Pat is a real treasure to
us all and we are proud of her success! I can't wait for the time to
produce one of the patterns....I just haven't yet decided which one!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old November 27th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

No problem, Karen. I don't mind repeating myself; do it all the time. The
author is our very own Pat on the Hill and here's a snip of an earlier post
:
The book is Geometrical Quilts by Pat Storey, publisher Tarquin
Publications and it is truly a treasure.
Polly

"Ian or Karen" wrote ARGH this is frustrating - everyone is being soo good

Old November 27th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Hi Karen
It's called 'Geometrical Quilts'. Do e-mail me for any other details
you need.
..
In message , Ian or Karen
writes

Old November 27th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

My copy of Pati's book arrived and I want to cry. I just started to
straighten my sewing room and I can't start sewing until it's done.
At the moment all my fabric covers every flat surface (and some that
aren't flat) in the room!
There are several quilts that I always wondered how they do that and
now I have the instructions!!! I don't know where to begin. Must get
the room organized.
Great job on the book....fingers are itching to start.
Bonnie
NJ
Old November 27th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Aaaah!
I'm so delighted that you like it Bonnie. How great that it will answer
some questions for you.
..
In message
,
Bonnie NJ writes

Old November 28th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
janice142

It's got to be wonderful... and good to be published. A few years back
a quilter sent me some scrap blocks from one of her projects -- guess
what? Within the past couple months I realized she also wrote quilt
books. So, I bought one and the surprise to me was her technique on
triangles -- I didn't know that. I've got a couple others Gayle Bong
penned in my some-day list (but not until the Lute!)

Unless individual patterns come out, and then I'll be first in
line.
And yes, I will too be first. I have sharp objects *and* know how to
use 'em. (said while laughing)

Congratulations Author!!!