Cherry Wood Thread Cabinet

Old October 15th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default Cherry Wood Thread Cabinet

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:28:22 -0500, John wrote
(in article .com):

I own the following power tools,

2 hand drills
1 Drill Press
1 Table Saw
1 Mortise machine
1 Scroll saw
2 Routers
1 Cut off miter chop saw
1 Spindle shaper
1 Belt sander
1 Electric water stone sharpener
1 Rotary surface sander made out of an old Table saw
1 Thickness planer
1 Joiner
1 Sanding vacuum table
1 Dust collection system with connection to all stationary power tools
1 Room air dust collections system

In addition:

1 very large box of Band-Aids (seldom used).

John

Ahh yes, I have that very last power tool addition as well. Comes in handy
at the cutting table on occasion. (Not that I ever have need to use them,
but you never know if a visiting quilter might. :-) )

Maureen

Old October 15th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

Here is a picture of the cabinet with the top three drawers with the
dividers in place. I am leaving the bottom 2 drawers undivided for now
as I think that what I have done will accommodate the thread spools I
have. I can add other dividers as the need arises. There are three
sizes of dividers. One drawer is for Gutterman spools, one for C & C
Large spools.
and one drawer is for C & C standard spools. The next thing is to
finalize the sanding and start the varnishing.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635CVMAPG

Enjoy

John

Old October 15th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Wow, John it really look great! I love the way you build your furniture.
Unfortunately you don't see that quality of workmanship much anymore.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 15th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 14, 5:59 pm, Sandy wrote:
In article . com,

John wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

John, you're making me drool over the possibilities -- if only DH were
into working with wood! sigh

Why don't you try something yourself. It is a lot like quilting. You
take a lot of little pieces and assemble them into something larger.
The difference is you can do serious dammage to yourself with some
power tools so you have to be a lot more careful. There are a number
of women who are really proficient craftpersons, that I have seen.
Just start out with something small and go from there. Just take your
time and go slow. and keep your cutting edges really sharp. Nothing
messes up worse than a dull edge.

John

John

Old October 15th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
John wrote:

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

Here is a picture of the cabinet with the top three drawers with the
dividers in place. I am leaving the bottom 2 drawers undivided for now
as I think that what I have done will accommodate the thread spools I
have. I can add other dividers as the need arises. There are three
sizes of dividers. One drawer is for Gutterman spools, one for C & C
Large spools.
and one drawer is for C & C standard spools. The next thing is to
finalize the sanding and start the varnishing.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635CVMAPG

Enjoy

John

John, that's looking better and better!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 15th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
John wrote:

On Oct 14, 5:59 pm, Sandy wrote:
In article . com,

John wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

John, you're making me drool over the possibilities -- if only DH were
into working with wood! sigh

Why don't you try something yourself. It is a lot like quilting. You
take a lot of little pieces and assemble them into something larger.
The difference is you can do serious dammage to yourself with some
power tools so you have to be a lot more careful. There are a number
of women who are really proficient craftpersons, that I have seen.
Just start out with something small and go from there. Just take your
time and go slow. and keep your cutting edges really sharp. Nothing
messes up worse than a dull edge.

John

John

I'd love to try, John, but I'm sort of chicken. I don't have any depth
perception, so it makes me rather nervous to think of working with power
tools -- it doesn't help that we had a friend who cut off several
fingers with some power saw. Maybe it's just as well that we have
such a small house and no real room for a woodworking shop.

Old October 15th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 15, 3:23 pm, Sandy wrote:
In article .com,

I'd love to try, John, but I'm sort of chicken. I don't have any depth
perception, so it makes me rather nervous to think of working with power
tools -- it doesn't help that we had a friend who cut off several
fingers with some power saw. Maybe it's just as well that we have
such a small house and no real room for a woodworking shop.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

You could just concentrate on the use of hand tools. It will give you
a great workout, and there is far less danger. You can still cut
yourself, but you will seldom cut anything off. I understand the
hesitance of most people though, It is almost a lost art. Everything
today is done by the process of mass production. It is also difficult
to learn the various things necessary to do the job while on your own.
Also, some people don't do well at reading instructions from a book.
My wife is like that. She needs hands on tutoring for her learning
experience. At least with quilting, you can express yourself
creatively. You already have that skill well underhand. It also does
take a serious commitment of space, which a lot of people don't have
either.

John

Old October 16th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

oh, it was more like trying to see if you would be interested... not
really commercial yet. ) I will email you..

John wrote:
On Oct 14, 3:07 pm, DrQuilter wrote:
How about a small glass-front wall cabinet/case to display a few small
items in my bedroom, arts and crafts style? what would be the going rate
for that? I cannot find it. I also want a sideboard I saw in a Sundance
catalogue from years ago for $1600, but they do not make it anymore - I
need a good craftsman to make it for me....

Why don't you e-mail me as commercial endeavors are not permitted on
this forum.

John

--

Dr.Quilter
drquilter at gmail dot com
Old October 16th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz

Thanks John, that sounds a bit similar to the list here. I think I am
correct with these*

2 hand drills

* 2 cordless and 2 corded
1 Drill Press
1 Table Saw
1 Mortise machine

* none
1 Scroll saw

*none
2 Routers

*plus one in the table
1 Cut off miter chop saw

*sliding compound mitre saw
1 Spindle shaper

* a lathe instead
1 Belt sander

* 2 belt sanders plus 3? others
1 Electric water stone sharpener

*3? bench grinders
1 Rotary surface sander made out of an old Table saw

*none
1 Thickness planer
1 Joiner
1 Sanding vacuum table
1 Dust collection system with connection to all stationary power tools
1 Room air dust collections system

* a biscuit joiner
* at least one circular saw

Thats all that I can think of off hand

In addition:

1 very large box of Band-Aids (seldom used).

* the band-aids stay inside, like yours they are seldom used

Both are different workshops, but similar tools are used

Dee in Oz

Old October 16th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:
Here are 2 more pictures of the case and drawers with the first coat
of varnish applied. The varnish really brings out the grain of the
wood and highlights the joinery details in the case and drawer fronts.
The next thing is repeated coats of varnish with light sanding in
between coats with very fine sandpaper, to knock off the brush strokes
and dribbles which are inevitable. Then it is lay the green felt in
the drawer bottoms and reinstall the dividers in the drawers and wax
the whole thing and carry it upstairs and fill it up with thread.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635fLlaVH

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635buTXie

Enjoy,

John