Ot on the manner people write and relate to facts...

Old September 21st 05, 11:26 AM

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Lynne!!
At least when you tell a story stick to the true facts.
thank you
mirjam

Mirjam,

You need to remember that every story has two sides, and Lynne is
relating her side of the story, her take on things.

Obviously yours will be different, but that doesn't mean her take is
untrue.

Facts is a strange word, because too often the "facts" change based on
how they are interpretted. One can't even trust historical documents
to be 100% true, because they were written by someone relating their
view of the events. Perhaps the person writing them was bitter, so
exaggerated how bad things were. Can we know years later? No.

One needs to compare information from many sides to cull out what is
fact and what is opinion.

Caryn

Caryn

Old September 21st 05, 03:22 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Caryn for your comment, but since Lynne wrote her side i
felt i could make this remark , without going into further details.
Your remark about Historical documents validity is partly accurate ,
partly mistaken. Some Historical Documents are almost 100 % accurtae.
Birth certificates, all kinds of tickets or notesthat were not
considered Historical documents , might turn out to be very accurate.
Somebody who gave a present and wrote on it from Ato B on his Birthady
date xxxx . later we find the birth certificate matching the date ,,,
thus we might assume that B `s birtdate is really this date...
Etc... If i find a letter adresses to my mother , saying ; m....is
already one month old to day .... even if there is no date i can
assume the letter was written in july 1943 ... etc,,,
Not all historical documents are a private opinion about something .
mirjam

Old September 21st 05, 04:31 PM

Oh, I could definitely pull out and copy the posts, but really, what's
the point? Seems kind of childish and it would definitely be
unpleasant. If Mirjam chooses to believe that I'm a hypocrite and that
other people who challenge her have ulterior motives instead of just
disagreeing about something she's welcome to her view of things. She
can claim her opinion and I can claim mine. She used to accuse me of
always trying to get her to change her mind and I finally realized that
my attempts to explain myself and other viewpoints came off that way to
her. Well, when you come to that realization it's time to quit. Once
someone tells you that you're just insincere or wrong, what can you do?
It was just a language and worldview barrier that couldn't be crossed.
You can't prove yourself on an internet posting board. (Shrug)

Old September 21st 05, 08:32 PM
Pat P

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

Probably birth certificates are the most inaccurate documents of all! LOL!

Pat P

Old September 21st 05, 09:14 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Lynne
As it is soon our new year , He , Taw, Shin , Samech , Waw
=5766... i wish you a happy and fruitful new year. mirjam

Old September 21st 05, 09:16 PM
Jaenne Bonner

"Pat P" wrote in message

Probably birth certificates are the most inaccurate documents of all! LOL!

Pat P

They certainly are in one branch of my family. Let's just say the person
recording the information at the parish or county recorder's office didn't
bother to get the name, date, and place of birth correct. That is how my
mother found out she was officially "Gene" instead of "Jean," and her
birthplace was recorded in another town.

Jaenne
--
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
(Answer: There's a "b" in both and an "n" in neither)

Old September 21st 05, 09:39 PM

And I don't consider that to be the slightest bit sincere G. But
that's cool.

Old September 21st 05, 09:59 PM
Pat P

"Jaenne Bonner" wrote in message
"Pat P" wrote in message

Probably birth certificates are the most inaccurate documents of all!
LOL!

Pat P

They certainly are in one branch of my family. Let's just say the person
recording the information at the parish or county recorder's office didn't
bother to get the name, date, and place of birth correct. That is how my
mother found out she was officially "Gene" instead of "Jean," and her
birthplace was recorded in another town.

Jaenne

I didn`t just mean the accuracy of the written records, LOL!

I meant - who but the mother (and not always her, of course) can be sure who
the fathers were over the centuries!!!

Pat P

Old September 21st 05, 10:10 PM

Pat P wrote:
[...]

No doubt, it seems that my grandfather had several, each bearing a
different year!

It also seems that one of my ancestors entered the U.S. via Ellis
Island in two different years--all the other information about this man
was the same (town and country of origin, year of birth, name, etc) but
for some reason he appears twice in Ellis Island's records. And no, he
didn't return to the old country in between!

Inaccuracies happen. Both of these ancestors did exist, but some of
the details/facts are fuzzy!

Caryn