OT any good lowfat recipes?

Old April 26th 05, 04:32 AM
Taria

Default OT any good lowfat recipes?

Ok, I can't be the only one dealing with re-learning
to cook. DH has to bring his cholesterol down. We have
made a lot of changes in our diet/cooking. Admittedly I'm
not very subtle about 'sneaking' chocolates, cookies
and burgers once in awhile. Heck, my cholesterol is ok.

Anyway do you guys have any favorite low fat type recipes
to share? DD says we are going to die of mercury from all
the salmon I am cooking. I have to say we are feeling
better and a touch lighter for the changes but I need
good recipes. Help!

To top off the food stuff DH broke his leg and is off work a
month. It has been a long week already and it is MOnday.
TIA, TAria

Old April 26th 05, 04:51 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL and shrugging my shoulders along with you Taria. My DH has had horrific
reflux and heartburn for ages and finally got them checked. Turns out he
has a hiatus hernia and also needs to lower his cholesterol. And like you,
I also have a really low chol. count (thank you to my late Poppa who could
slice butter an inch thick onto bread and still had non-existant chol). So
I'll be watching this thread too......

Good luck and try not to kill your hubby too quickly! Perhaps get him to
sit on the floor and organise your stash?

quicker)

Old April 26th 05, 06:27 AM
nzlstar******

hey Taria,
eat oatmeal for breakfast or whenever.it has something that lowers the
cholesterol. just watch what you put on it.
putting oatmeal in any recipe that works will help also. as hes not so
mobile with his broken leg should be no problem to shove it down even
if he doesnt like it much, lol.
good luck.
jeanne
from brrrrrrrrrrr cold london, snow stopped but is still threatening.
still need to find place to get new glasses frames and lens cut down to
fit. storage wont let me into stuff without papers that i did not get
packed but are back in auckland somewhere. what do they say, if it
doesnt kill you, you'll come out better for the experiece. like i need
to get better. puuuuuuleeeeeeeze. i'm good enough now, well i think so
anyhow, lol.

Old April 26th 05, 07:12 AM
marbles_2

We've been trying to eat low fat for years (DH is cheating tho....takes
a cholesterol lowering drug since he has heridity of high cholesterol
but I'm not ready to start that.... yet!). Mostly we made changes like
only drinking non-fat milk and including LOTS more veggies and grains
and beans into our diet. I only cook with olive or canola oils, and we
never use hard margarine, etc. You learn to adapt recipes, such as
skipping the cheese in a casserole, or using egg whites instead of
whole eggs. I rarely bake goodies anymore, but when I do I try to use
canola oil or real butter instead of shortening and try to include
whole grains (oat bran is fun), nuts (like almonds) and fruits. I like
looking up recipes on the internet, and you can even type in what
ingredients you like with the keywords lowfat. Just don't tell DH what
is in the food, and he'll never know. Never bring home stuff like chips
and crackers so the temptation isn't there. Since it's a lifestyle
change, you can't think of it as a DIET. Good luck!!

Old April 26th 05, 08:32 AM
Jessamy

Well I have no idea if this is really low fat but, as you don't need to add
any fat for the cooking, I think it is. This is an easy "walk-away" dinner
that you don't have to watch, so ideal for a quilting day ;-)

for 2 people:
2 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon herby cream cheese such as Boursin(either normal or lowfat)
4 plum tomatoes sliced
2 large potatoes.

Wash the potatoes and put them in the oven (hottest setting).
Get an oven dish that is big enough for the chicken to lie flat.
Put the chicken in the dish spread the cheese on top.
Place the tomato slices on top and cover with foil.
Put in the oven about 45 mins before the potatoes are ready.
Cook till all is done.
Put the chicken and tomatoes on 2 plates
Cut the jacket potatoes in half and use the juices from the chicken & cheese
and salt and pepper to taste to fluff up the potatoes

Serve with a salad

enjoy!

--
Jessamy
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad

Old April 26th 05, 08:34 AM
Sharon Harper

Oooooh Jess! That sounds unbelieveable. DH would choke over the tomatos
(he hates any vegie that isn't a potato but will suffer with a few
peas/beans/carrot) but if I cooked it that way and then took it off he'd
never know. Yep definitely a recipe to try. Thanks!

quicker)

Old April 26th 05, 08:51 AM
melinda

marbles_2 wrote:
[...]

I use a low fat cheese in cooking, tastes better. Oz has one, at least
in NSW, that has 50% less fat than normal tasty cheddar cheese. The only
person in this house that eats any sort of full fat cheese or milk is DS
'cause he's under 2 and not fat.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old April 26th 05, 08:54 AM
Jessamy

I'm glad you like it :-D

It's my own invention - made one quilting day when I didn't want to "waste"
time cooking - I have a few more recopies but they are definitively *NOT*
lowfat

salmon and cod mini pies, mini chicken pies, chocolate cake to name a few...
hehehehe

Old April 26th 05, 10:31 AM
Kate Dicey

Taria wrote:

Ok, I can't be the only one dealing with re-learning
to cook. DH has to bring his cholesterol down. We have
made a lot of changes in our diet/cooking. Admittedly I'm
not very subtle about 'sneaking' chocolates, cookies
and burgers once in awhile. Heck, my cholesterol is ok.

Anyway do you guys have any favorite low fat type recipes
to share? DD says we are going to die of mercury from all
the salmon I am cooking. I have to say we are feeling
better and a touch lighter for the changes but I need
good recipes. Help!

To top off the food stuff DH broke his leg and is off work a
month. It has been a long week already and it is MOnday.
TIA, TAria

Having lived with a gall bladder problem for some time (then removed,
leaving me with an inability to digest fatty foods!), and weight loss
(tops 50 lbs now! Insert smug grin! ;P ), I have a host of good, tasty
low fat recipes. Some serious advice: get hold of some Weight Watchers
cook books. I have several, and they are great - real food, low fat,
easy to cook! AND they do treats for special occasions!

Here's one to try:

Creamy chicken with Mushrooms

2 teaspoons olive oil
6 shallots, quartered
1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
2 165g/5 ¾ oz chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 heaped teaspoons whole-grain mustard
9 oz mushrooms, sliced
295 g/9 oz can 99% fat free Campbell’s condensed Chicken soup (or mushroom!)
¼ pint skimmed milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a wok or non-stick saucepan, then add the shallots and
pepper and fry for about a minute

Add the chicken and the mustard and stir-fry for about 5 minutes, until
the chicken turns brown

Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for a few minutes more, adding a little
hot water of the mixture begins to stick

Add the soup and the skimmed milk. Heat through, adding some hot water
if you prefer a thinner sauce.

Season to taste then serve.

Freezing recommended

This recipe comes from the WW Pure Points book, ‘Recipes for Success’,
now out of print.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 26th 05, 10:38 AM
Kate Dicey

Jessamy wrote:

[...]

Sounds good! Here's what I often do with skinless, boneless chicken
breasts:

One per person: lay them flat in an oven proof dish

for every 4 chicken breasts, you need 1 lemon. Grate the zest off over
the chicken, and squeeze out the juice into a mug. Double the juice
with water and add one teaspoon of honey per chicken breast. Shake/stir
until fully combined. Pour over the chicken. Add salt and pepper to
taste, and a sprinkle of mixed herbs. Bake for 30 mins in a hottish
oven (200C). Serve with baked jacket spuds, rice, or fresh bread and salad.