Question on lighter covers

Old April 15th 05, 10:30 PM
Connie Cronin

Default Question on lighter covers

Question for you seed beaders who make lighter covers. How do you
attach the cover to the lighter? Can it then be removed when the lighter is
empty and reattached to another lighter? I am making my first one as a gift
for a friend whose lighter is always walking off with someone else. I am
making it in even count peyote and working my way around the thing, in other
words, my rows are going up and down the length.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Connie

Old April 15th 05, 10:47 PM
maryluna

I haven't done a lighter cover in ages but yes, they should be
removable if put over a disposable one. With lighter covers, pen
covers, needlecases, etc. you should try and make it fit snugly so it
won't fall off but can be pulled off with a bit of effort to switch it.
This could be tricky working lengthwise -- you won't know til you're
almost done if it will fit snugly. But it could work.. If you worked it
around the lighter horizontally it would be easier to tell.

Mary T. 8-)

Aunt Molly's Bead Street
http://www.flash.net/~mjtafoya
eBay: seriousbeader

Old April 16th 05, 12:48 AM
Heleln C

Cool, something I can put input into!!!!

OK, I'm made a few (been making them for the last 10+ years)

My tips: Use 11/0 japanese seed beads and you'll need 20 beads per row
(40 beads around) With czech, you'll need a few more, delicas - don't
have a clue - probably comparable to czech 12/0's. The 20 beads around
is great for repeat patterns (10 x 2, 5 x 4, 4 x 5, etc - mulitples of
10, 5, 4, 2) And this is sized for a bic lighter. The cheapo ones have
a (very) slight taper to them that makes them frustrating to work with.
And I still haven't figured out a way around the hinge on a zippo
(though I've been asked numerous times)

The first 3 rows are the hardest. Once you get past that, it's pretty
much a piece of cake. Make the peyote tube the length of the lighter
plus 2 or 3 rows. Run your thread through the last circle of 20 and
cinch it up snug (not too tight or you'll snap your thread) Run the
thread through again and weave the end up through the case until you're
confindent it won't work loose (this also helps stablize the case)

Any more questions? You can always google previous posts I've done on
lighter cases - it's been a while since I've posted any so you'll
probably have to go back a ways.

On a good note, I FINALLY got my order of 6 done! Yay!!!!! Now, on to
something else, not sure what, just something else (as long as it
doesn't have a moon or stars on it, I'll be happy )

Later,

Helen C

www.psychobeadma.4t.com (for examples of things I've made)
Old April 18th 05, 04:11 PM
Connie Cronin

Thanks lots Helen. I am working around one of the oval shaped Bic
lighters, testing for fit with every row. Next time I'll have to try your
advice and not tryto reinvent the wheel :-)

--
Connie