3 months until Christmas

Old September 26th 03, 12:59 AM
juliasb(nospam)

I re-gift a great deal. Not only gifts that may have been given me for
the last holiday but often things that are of a keepsake nature.
Right now I am just about done with all my gift giving plans. That is
for everyone but my own daughters. I am still trying to decide just
what I want to do for them. Since I have made quilts for them each years
for a number of years I thought this year would be a break from my
annual quilt making marathon.
I even went as far as wrapping most of them last week. I do this so
I know just what I have to get done without much last minute anxiety. I
usually spend the majority of December baking cookies which are a good
part of my gift giving. So right now I am buying up some of the staples
I will need for the cookies and candies. I usually make more than 100
doz. cookies and about 20 pounds of fudge and 20 or so mini loafs of
sweet breads. I have a big extended family so there are a lot of
cookies to be made.
I only have 3 maybe 4 quilts that will be given as gifts this year.
I am thinking about making some place mats and table runners for my
girls as well as my oldest sister.
There is only one other quilty thing that I need to do soon to be
prepared for the holidays. (this one is definitely a re-gifter). I make
quilted gift bags. It seems that the ones I made a few years ago have
gone out as gifts again and again. A few even made it back to me. So
now just about everyone is asking for them as a gift. I will be making
at least a dozen of one size. They will be a medium size then several
extra large one. Heck I haven't really decided just how many I will make
juliasb

CNYstitcher wrote:

Just a question for the masses:

Does anybody else here "re-gift" items that they got but have no use or
desire for?? DH was given a jacket that he would never wear, but that
his father would, so that is our Christmas gift to him. Our niece is
old enough for porcelain dolls, so she is getting the very first one
that I was given (not to worry, there are plenty for Rebekah to have
when she is old enough)........

I don't think I relaly have any Christmas presents to *make* except for
pajama bottoms for DH that match the pajamas that i just made for DS,
but that will only take about an hour or so to do.

Larisa

Taria wrote:

Just in case Ragmop is busy today I wanted to remind everyone
it is 3 months til Christmas. How are the presents coming
along?
Taria

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 26th 03, 05:24 PM
Pat in Virginia

So Julia, Do you just sandwich the two FQ and quilt the yardage?
What batting do you use? I've made gift bags for ages, but
haven't quilted any. They are always popular. Sometimes I use
ribbon and sometimes yarn for the drawstrings.
PAT in VA/USA

"juliasb(nospam)" wrote:

For a medium size bag I use 2 fq's. So the bags are reversible. larger
bags or smaller ones of course use different amounts. I don't really
have a pattern that I use.
On some of the more special ones I will do a bit of appliqué to the
front. I like to do this like a small pocket to put in a card or extra
little goodie.
The other good thing about these bags that I make, I give many of
them to other quilters or crafters because they can recycle the bags
into quilting projects or other crafty projects. A good fq from any
source is always a great treat. For this reason I leave the salvages
intact. I have yet to find a single person not happy with these bags.
I don't only make them for the holidays either. I make them for other
special occasions so some of them can be much more detailed.
Sorry I don't have a pattern. I did have one a long time ago, the
first ones I made were for a swap probably 10 years ago. I have long
since lost it and do them by memory now.
I have 8 crystal candy dishes that will be holiday gifts and these
quilted gift bags are perfect for these goodies.
juliasb

Julia said:
I make
quilted gift bags.

Old September 26th 03, 06:40 PM
Pat in Virginia

Gotcha! Thanks Julia. The batting will add body and shape to the
gift presentation. This will also use up some batting scraps.
PAT in VA/USA

"juliasb(nospam)" wrote:

I make 2 Identical 'bags' to put together to make a reversible bag.
Before I stitch the 2 bags together I tack down a piece of thin batting.
This year however I am using the basting spray and the results so far
are great. Most of the time I use left over pieces I have laying around.
A thin bat is the best. I sew them together matching the seams so that
the right sides will be closed at the top then turn the whole thing
inside out. Like you would be birthing a circular quilt. I make use of
the sleeve arm on my sewing machine to MQ the bags. This year I am
going to try to do stippling on the bags for something different. I
have always just done a straight line quilting on the double diagonal.
Since my last post on this subject I have 17 bags with only the
quilting left to be done. I know there is no real rush but I sure would
like to get them done and ready to go so I am less likely to become
overwhelmed with things closer to the holiday.

Old September 26th 03, 08:23 PM
juliasb(nospam)

[...]

MerryStahel wrote:

Julia said:

I make
quilted gift bags.

I've made a few gift bags, but out of curiosity, do youhappen to have a pattern
or instructions, Julia?

I make simple bags with ties, and can probably do some quiltie ones without a
pattern, but I am beginning to notice more and more that its simply easier with
pattern or instructions (i.e. - I'm more inclined if I don't have to mess with
making a pattern first or there are solid directions - I know its silly, but
there you are).

Merry

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 26th 03, 09:38 PM
juliasb(nospam)

"juliasb(nospam)" wrote:

[...]

Julia said:

I make
quilted gift bags.

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 26th 03, 11:03 PM
juliasb(nospam)

These will be used to 'wrap' crystal candy dishes in. They will also be
perfect for storing them away when not in use.
juliasb

Old September 27th 03, 12:22 AM
Maureen Wozniak

Dear God! I have 2 baby quilts that aren't even started yet nor are the
presents! I not sure everything will get done.

Old September 27th 03, 04:12 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
You think of me on the 25th?
My mission is complete. g

Ragmop/Sandy--
I don't make deadline projects/quilts for holidays ;-D

"Taria" wrote in message
I have a real nice large wall quilt and a mess of small Christmas
wall hangings. I'm like Wendy myself. I cut way back on the
presents years ago. I think of Sandy on the 25th of most
months though. VBG
Taria

Ellison wrote:

Howdy!
SHE said it, not I!!!
I'm in the clear. I knew the date, but *I* wasn't going to say
it this time. Taria did it, Taria did it!!
Yeah, just 3 months away. How are those Christmas quilts
in the making? You got one, Taria?
Mine was finished years ago. g

Ragmop/Sandy--pointing fingers at Taria ;-D

Old September 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

More important: did anyone start the babies?
PAT, getting weird in VA/USA

Old September 28th 03, 01:04 AM
Diana Curtis

Is that anything like using a sour dough starter??
Diana... catching the mood...

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44