Classic Color Combinations

Old August 25th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

Default Classic Color Combinations

i did not just read that, aaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
faint
j.

"Sandy" wrote ...
snipped
-- greens and browns are difficult for me.

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old August 26th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article , "J*"
wrote:

i did not just read that, aaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
faint
j.

fanning Jeanne and wafting smelling salts Sorry, Jeanne. I should have
warned you to sit down.

Old August 26th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Mine are lomg haired black, short haired black, grey and white, and
calico. There is no color I can use that will not show cat hair!

While the black cats consider it a moral imperitive to take especial
pains to shed on white work, they all have a pressing need to curl up
on any work in frames in the house. Needlepoint, embroidery, lace
quilting, nothing is safe. Jiji scattered half my work basket across
the floor just the other day in order to pry the quilt hoop out from
where I had oh so cleverly stashed it, and then when he was chased off
it he went and curled up on my hedebo in progress which he had dug out
getting to the quilt hoop.

NightMist
Take one cardboard box, fold open area of quilt into bottom, set hoop
against the side with the frame holding hedebo between the hoop and
the side of box, set the work basket (sort of a box-bag combo thing)
on top of folded quilt, weigh down the whole thing by wedging
hardcover books (sewing books mostly) around the work basket.
I should have known a cat would figure it all out just lickety split.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:02:09 +0100, Patti
wrote:

Oh boy, I echo the QI plea!! With five, pale-coloured long-haired cats,
I am a disaster as to neatness. I seem to have fine threads of fur all
over everything g
.
In message , Leslie& The Furbabies
in MO. writes
With my (bleached) blonde hair I wear a lot of black, too. But with
The HairyButt Gang keeping my home and clothing liberally decorated
with various colors of hair, I think all dark colors should be outlawed
for QI owners. I tend to wear bright colors with the dark colors and
my quilts tend to be very colorful- and high contrast- too.

Another classic color combo is brown, tan and peach/rust.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old August 26th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:02:15 -0700, "Taria" wrote:

You are right about wearing colors that we tend to
put in quilts. I think we all go to our favorite colors as a comfort move.
Mine seem to be fall/earth colors. If you look at my stash that is what
jumps out at you. I have been trying to get out of that comfort zone but
boy it can be tough. Earth tones are in the house and in my closet (quilt
fabric and clothes) I think some of the most beautiful quilts are those made
from one line of fabrics. They coordinate so well. Kind of like they were
made to work together, lol. That seems like cheating to me though. I think
it has to be more cost effective than maintaining a stash to work from in
the long run though.

I do tend to strong contrasts, and favor counterpoint for home quilts.
Also I would never in a million years start out to intentionally use a
pastel or "country color" for a focus fabric.

On the other hand I usually start by drawing up a pattern, and then
most often it tells me what to do with it. Looking it over I find I
make things that are out of my usual zone more often than I thought.
A smoothing iron from animal pelt patterns and jungle prints for a
kid, flying bats in cream, tan, and ecru almost quilted as a
wholecloth for a colorblind friend, walking triangles of fussy cut
dinosaurs in lurid colrs against a deep green pattern of tiny leaves
again for a kid, etc. Though I suppose that last is sort of in
keeping with me favoring strong contrasts.

I actually tend to avoid fabric from all one line. It makes a
sameness I don't generally care for, plus there is always one color
less than I want, or one that just doesn't appeal, and I have to find
a substitute, and more often than not that leads to finding a
substitute for something that doesn't go with the first substitute,
and I end up using the fabric that attracted me in the first place and
nothing else from that line.

NightMist

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old August 26th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

I was involved in red, black, and white block swap that made a stunning
quilt top (have yet to quilt it). I love the quilt, but it matches
absolutely nothing. ;-) I don't know if that's important or not. I've
wondered what a green, white, and black quilt would be like.

You're right, I tend to stick to my favorites when I'm not going scrappy:

blue and yellow (or gold)
some combo of blue, green, and/or purple with either pink or yellow

I don't have an affinity for large of amounts of red.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
The Irish Chain thread reminded me of something I've been thinking
about off and on.

Classic color combinations
Blue and yellow
Blue and white or red and white
Black and brights
Red/black/white
Gold/Burgundy/Green

and those I connect to fabric lines like Kansas Troubles and Fig Tree.

I feel like I'm 'cheating' when I use one of these old favorites.
It's like I'm writing a song, using someone else's melody and I'm just
changing the words around a bit.

Do you have a favorite color combination?

joan
BTW, in working in a quilt store I have some to the conclusion (not
original or earth-shattering either) that people tend to quilt with
the colors that they wear. After all, it only makes sense. But it's
still funny to check out someone with a stack of fabric that is the
same color as their outfit that day. : One of the reasons that I
enjoy making store samples or getting fabric as a gift is that it
forces me out of my comfort zone. Not for long, mind you, but out
there just a little bit.

Old August 26th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

LOL! My black cat doesn't really like to be held for long, so my light
colored clothes are mostly safe. HOWEVER, he loves to sleep on my bed
and plop right up against the white pillow shams. It's time to get the
masking tape out again and de-fur the sham and the quilt (although it's
not as noticeable on the quilt).

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
With my (bleached) blonde hair I wear a lot of black, too. But with The
HairyButt Gang keeping my home and clothing liberally decorated with
various colors of hair, I think all dark colors should be outlawed for
QI owners. I tend to wear bright colors with the dark colors and my
quilts tend to be very colorful- and high contrast- too.

Another classic color combo is brown, tan and peach/rust.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"onetexsun" wrote in message
This is interesting.... I don't know if it applies that I wear what I
quilt. But my biggest pile of fabric is black and I wear black almost
all the time. I think most of my quilts though tend to be warm and
bright colors. I think my favorite color is bright.

Sunny

Old August 26th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

http://www.quiltersvillage.com/galle....html?idx=6929

check this one out, Michelle.
you know it grabbed my full attention.
gave me a few more ideas too.
tis busy for sure but aint it grand!!
nayy,
j.

"Michelle C." wrote ...
snipped
I've wondered what a green, white, and black quilt would be like.

Old August 26th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam (Dragonfly)

Default Gone to the dogs was Classic Color Combinations

On Aug 25, 3:18*pm, "Taria" wrote:
You need golden retrievers Sandy. *Mine have hair that blends into the
carpet color and they are very similar to the laminate floor color. *Now
there is a white cat and a black cat living here though and that
messes everything up. * Yep, I'd put up with all the fuss to have my Lea
back too.
Taria"Sandy" wrote in message

In article ,
"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

But with The
HairyButt Gang keeping my home and clothing liberally decorated with
various
colors of hair, I think all dark colors should be outlawed for QI owners.

Until our Dexter went to the Bridge last November, I couldn't find a
color that didn't show the dog hair! G Bisou is mostly white, with a
bit of red on her, and Dexter was black. Talk about not planning well.

Still, I'd happily put up with the problem again in order to have Dexter
(and Tuppence, another red/white) back again.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

LOL Taria. You don't know me (long-time older member of rctq who has
had connection problems the past six years or so), but I brought my
dog (who looked like a Golden puppy, but really she was an Australian
Shepherd mix) to the model home to check out which carpet sample best
matched her coat. So my carpet has the same blond-with-a-hint-of-gold
that was in her coat. (She died of kidney failure in June 2006.) Our
current dog is the same color. Had to match the carpet, ya know!

Dragonfly (Pam)
Old August 26th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Pam! You snuck right in here. WELCOME HOME!!! Us old timers remember
you. What have you been up to these past years? We need an update!

Leslie & The Furbabies (A Golden, a Golden mix and a GSD mix) in MO.

Old August 26th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Dragonfly!!!!

Good to see you. Hope all is well.

Our carpets and even the suite match the cats (they came first!!)
..
In message
, "Pam
(Dragonfly)" writes