Substituting a power drill for a buffing motor

Old June 10th 05, 12:14 AM
Jey

Default Substituting a power drill for a buffing motor

I am dirt poor—well, maybe poorer than dirt—and am looking for the ABSOLUTE
CHEAPEST way to carve and then polish a tiny sample of malachite. I want
to make a little malachite plug slightly skinnier in the middle than it is
at the ends. Since this is the only project I am considering, buying much
in the way of buffing motors and wheels seems like overkill. I own a
power drill and was wondering if I could jerry rig up something to a bit
and use that. Since malachite is so soft, I wouldn’t be putting much
pressure on the sides of the bit. (I can just see my Dad wincing in pain
at the idea of me using a drill to do anything but, well, drill!) Any
ideas out there from other cheapskates?

Old June 10th 05, 10:16 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message outcrafting.com
from "Jey" jey@[EMAIL PROTECTED] contains these words:

I am dirt poor—well, maybe poorer than dirt—and am looking for the ABSOLUTE
CHEAPEST way to carve and then polish a tiny sample of malachite. I want
to make a little malachite plug slightly skinnier in the middle than it is
at the ends. Since this is the only project I am considering, buying much
in the way of buffing motors and wheels seems like overkill. I own a
power drill and was wondering if I could jerry rig up something to a bit
and use that. Since malachite is so soft, I wouldn’t be putting much
pressure on the sides of the bit. (I can just see my Dad wincing in pain
at the idea of me using a drill to do anything but, well, drill!) Any
ideas out there from other cheapskates?

Make a mandrel from a bolt (NOT a set-bolt): cut the head off, screw a
nut hard on to the end of the thread, put a mudguard washer on next,
then your wheel/buffing-mop/w.h.y?, another mudguard washer, and tighten
it down with another nut.

You can use discarded angle-grinder discs, but you need a spacer washer
to locate the disc centrally. It is important that this spacer should be
thinner than the disc.

HTH

(I used to use an electric drill as a lathe for making small brass
fittings for old gun restorations.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old June 10th 05, 12:06 PM
George

"Jey" jey@[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
I am dirt poor-well, maybe poorer than dirt-and am looking for the

ABSOLUTE
CHEAPEST way to carve and then polish a tiny sample of malachite. I want
to make a little malachite plug slightly skinnier in the middle than it is
at the ends. Since this is the only project I am considering, buying much
in the way of buffing motors and wheels seems like overkill. I own a
power drill and was wondering if I could jerry rig up something to a bit
and use that. Since malachite is so soft, I wouldn't be putting much
pressure on the sides of the bit. (I can just see my Dad wincing in pain
at the idea of me using a drill to do anything but, well, drill!) Any
ideas out there from other cheapskates?

Check suitability, but most drills will allow for mounting with a hose clamp
to a block of wood you can control in your vise. After that, it's you
versus the stone. I would advise an isolating piece of plastic or
pasteboard between the dust you're making and the motor intakes.

Old June 10th 05, 04:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "George" contains these words:

Check suitability, but most drills will allow for mounting with a hose clamp
to a block of wood you can control in your vise. After that, it's you
versus the stone. I would advise an isolating piece of plastic or
pasteboard between the dust you're making and the motor intakes.

Oh, and wear protective goggles...

Old June 12th 05, 08:43 PM
Andrew Werby

I am dirt poor-well, maybe poorer than dirt-and am looking for the ABSOLUTE
CHEAPEST way to carve and then polish a tiny sample of malachite. I want
to make a little malachite plug slightly skinnier in the middle than it is
at the ends. Since this is the only project I am considering, buying much
in the way of buffing motors and wheels seems like overkill. I own a
power drill and was wondering if I could jerry rig up something to a bit
and use that. Since malachite is so soft, I wouldn't be putting much
pressure on the sides of the bit. (I can just see my Dad wincing in pain
at the idea of me using a drill to do anything but, well, drill!) Any
ideas out there from other cheapskates?

[Leave your Dad's drill alone - it won't help much, since the speed's too
slow. Get some pieces of wet-and-dry silicon carbide sandpaper, wrap them
around some pieces of dowel, and rub the malachite by hand, using a little
water to keep the sandpaper from clogging up. Work your way up through the
grits, until you get to 600 or so. Then you can let it clog, and it will
start to polish. What are you going to do, stick this in your ear or some
other piercing? If you do, keep an eye out for adverse reactions - malachite
is full of copper and other heavy metal compounds, which might cause you
some health problems. Don't breathe the dust either...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

eScrew [email protected] Yarn 0 December 20th 04 10:54 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
Need help motorizing a 1963 Schwinn with a DC motor CapriciousD General Crafting 7 September 5th 04 12:00 AM