Quick Hardanger question

Old November 11th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Quilting was Quick Hardanger question

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I see quilts and I want to quilt. But I haven't yet. Mind you, what I want
to do are crazy quilts. And I will one day....

Chery

That was me! For years and years, I said that! I just could not bring
myself to start for some weird reason.

Finally, my good mate, PDC, persuaded me to consent to making one (1)
quilt. One day, while poring over quilting mags, a pattern leapt out at
me - it was exactly one that DD would love: an easy nine-patch pattern
with lots of appliqué in it (hearts and butterflies). The recipe was
easy, because they tell you how much to buy and exactly how to cut the
bits. The appliqué was *delicious* because all I had to do was thread
my needle and blanket-stitch night after night in front of the telly.
The piecing took maybe a couple of hours and then the day we spent
basting the blessed thing went a lot easier with the lavish application
of much chocolate and cups of coffee and laughter.

The finished quilt is lovely in shades of dark blue (DD's favourites -
she chose the colours). It's only small, though, so I will make another,
larger one for DD eventually.

It has been our long-time dream to make an appliqué quilt of the
Simpsons characters consisting of square white blocks sashed with dark
blue. Sadly, we've had a *great* deal of trouble finding fabric in the
right shades (Marge's hair, for example, is utterly unavailable). One of
these days, though...

Anyway, you could either start little and try a pillow or just spend
some time looking at patterns in books until you find The One you
absolutely must make. It's a lot of fun and very absorbing! ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 12th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Quick Hardanger question

On Nov 11, 8:52*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:49:41 -0800 (PST),
opined:

That's what I was wondering. Everything else I've ever read about
hardanger says that if the buttonhole edge is properly done, you can
cut the shape out and have it hold together. How do you wash your
hardanger pieces? I'm assuming hand-washing is best. By the way,
Sheena, are you home now, or are you still across the pond?

Louisa

Mostly I have used it on cushions which I don't wash that often and on
coasters and a couple of runners - hate to tell you - I put them in
one of those lingerie bags and throw them in the washer.

I think people need to remember the Norwegians used hardanger to
embellish every day linens and it had to endure. *I know the perle
cotton loses its sheen over time but the pieces look nice as they age
anyway.

Yes, I am home now thank heavens lol *What wonderful weather we are
having. *It looks like it could be a mild walk down to the Cenotaph in
PPP today.

I love lingerie bags. They were a lifesaver with all those tiny little
baby socks once upon a time! I'll include one with the doily as part
of the gift. Also good to remember that these pieces are meant to be
used and enjoyed!

We went down to Grand Parade today. The children did pretty well,
considering the wind. We stayed near the church steps, where a number
of other families with little ones were, so they had a place to wander
quietly, and it was close to the hot chocolate when they got too
chilly! How was PPP?

Welcome home!

Louisa
Old November 12th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 11, 9:34*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/11/08 8:18 AM, in article ,

"lucretia borgia" wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:08:21 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

On 11/11/08 7:55 AM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:57:47 -0800 (PST),
opined:

I'm much better at the cutting now. It took a while to get up the
nerve; it's such a counter-intuitive thing to do at first. Even my six-
year old looked askance! I *really love my Ginghers. They *work so
nicely.

Louisa

Even if you cut wrong, it can be fixed. *I once cut one too many
threads and though it was tough going and took time, I did what the
book said, pull a thread along the edge and replace the thread which I
wrongly snipped. * It took time, but it worked.

I think it is still one better than the quilting people who buy yards
of fabric and then proceed to cut it all up into little pieces so they
can stitch them back together again !

That last line needed a spew warning dearie!

Just telling it how it is lol

I see quilts and I want to quilt. But I haven't yet. Mind you, what I want
to do are crazy quilts. And I will one day....

Chery

I've made one quilt, a baby size, and I enjoyed doing it, but I had
definite goal in sight, as it was a gift for a friend's first baby. I
have collected a couple of small wall quilt patterns, including one
with ladybugs, but I haven't managed to get to them yet. I like to
curl up on the couch with a bit of stitching, and these projects
definitely require a table and daylight hours, all of which are
occupied at the moment ! The day will come, eventually.

Louisa
Old November 12th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 11, 9:15*pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:32:03 -0800 (PST),
opined:

I love lingerie bags. They were a lifesaver with all those tiny little
baby socks once upon a time! I'll include one with the doily as part
of the gift. Also good to remember that these pieces are meant to be
used and enjoyed!

We went down to Grand Parade today. The children did pretty well,
considering the wind. We stayed near the church steps, where a number
of other families with little ones were, so they had a place to wander
quietly, and it was close to the hot chocolate when they got too
chilly! How was PPP?

Welcome home!

Thanks. *In the end I never made it to the Park. *My knee is hell at
the moment and when I was readying to go I realized that I likely
could walk in, possibly stand long enough but maybe not be able to
walk out again. * I had not been prudent enough to locate the one in
Clayton Park (that's for Korean Vets but since one of my uncles was
amongst the last three repatriated at Pan Mun Jong, suitable) and I
decided for the first time ever, I would watch the Ottawa one. *Felt
guilty about that and then a friend arrived unannounced and that was
that.

It feels very strange not to have been to services today, only one
other Nov 11 I missed because I had 'flu.

My younger daughter went to Grand Parade and they had offered to pick
me up but at the time I was still set on the Park. *If you've never
been to the Park, it is specifically the Sailors Memorial and looks
right out the harbour to sea. *HMCS Sackville used to steam out and
strew poppies on the water at 11 just off the point but they stopped
doing it a couple of years ago. * I like it most because it would be
the last piece of Halifax many who would not return would see, it is
guarded for the occasion by Sea Cadets, Scouts, Guides etc. and the
big wigs don't bother with it, preferring to be seen somewhere they
don't have to walk to. *It has a rather lovely air of informality and
I feel if any spirits come back to watch they would love the fact that
the youth are the participants. * *That's just my silly take on it
anyway.

I love the Sailors Memorial. It's in such a beautiful setting, and
that sounds like a lovely service. I'll keep that in mind for next
year. Grand Parade is always so crowded, and the children get a bit
nervous in large crowds. I like that Remembrance Day is still a proper
holiday here. In Ontario, it's not, and once you finish school and no
longer have an assembly to attend, it can be difficult to mark the
day. It's not one that should be set aside. How's your knee today?

Louisa
Old November 13th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Nov 12, 9:23*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:

Lol, I was in Lawtons so bought myself a new, fancy walking stick, now
I can go out in public and be a real threat !

SPEW!

Joan
Old November 13th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucretia borgia" wrote

Lol, I was in Lawtons so bought myself a new, fancy walking stick, now
I can go out in public and be a real threat !

OMG--that's one of the things in that "I shall wear purple" poem, isn't
it??? Banging on railings with a walking stick?? Are you on your way to
cantankerous????

Dawne