The significance or meaning of specific colors in different countries, ex. Black and Red in Japan?

Old January 7th 04, 11:51 PM
Quil

Default The significance or meaning of specific colors in different countries, ex. Black and Red in Japan?

A question for you: Does a shiny black jacquard kimono with a red obi have
a special significance? I mean, do the colors black and red mean anything,
represent anything, or signify anything if worn together? For example, in
the USA, red and green worn together signify Christmas holiday spirit. Pink
is for baby girls, blue is for baby boys, if pastel shade. White dresses
are worn at weddings, black for funerals. I know that green means danger in
some countries with jungles, and white is for funerals in Korea.
I want to make a kimono out of red rose jacquard on shiny black, but I want
to know what those colors signify in Japan before I get a laugh, a shock or
a an embarrasing look.

Your assistance is appreciated in advance!

Cyndi

Old January 8th 04, 06:08 AM
Aaron and Natalie Leaver

I'm sorry I can't help you Cindy but I am impressed that you have the
forethought to ask (just read that back and kinda thought it makes it sound
like I thought you must be stupid or something! LOL This is NOT the case,
just that I would have gone ahead with the kimono blissfully ignorant that
those colours were actually only used for pajama's or something!).

I will get onto Google and have a bit of a look-see.

Natalie in Darwin Australia

Old January 8th 04, 06:31 AM
Quilt Chick

OK, here we go, there isn't a HUGE amount and I was directed to a couple of
'buy this book and it will tll you all you want to know' kind of things but
here is what I DID get:

Design Matters
If you are buying a kimono with the intention of wearing it here in Japan,
it is worth considering that the design and color have significance, related
to the season, the wearer's marital status and age. During autumn and
winter, pine and bamboo designs are worn. In summer, cool colors and silver
decorations are the convention for regular kimono, although cotton yukata
(informal summer kimono), traditionally in blues and whites, are the
preferred option for hot, sticky weather. One advantage to yukata is that
they cost only a fraction of the price of a kimono. The most common designs
for kimono, particularly ceremonial garments, are bamboo, cherry blossoms,
fans (symbolizing prosperity) and cranes and turtles (long life). Young,
single women wear long-sleeved garments in bright colors, with images
extending high up from the hem, while older women wear shorter sleeves and
more subtle colors and designs.

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tok...okyocultureinc.
htm

Color and pattern also play a role. In the past, certain colors-red and
purple-could be worn only by royalty. Although this is no longer true, color
still has great significance. Black is the most formal of all colors, and a
black obi, worn with a black cord and sandals, is worn only during times of
mourning, and even then, only by those closest to the deceased. In contrast,
only a dead person, or a bride (mourning the "death" of her youth and
innocence), wears an all-white kimono and obi. Silk, brocaded obi are
reserved for formal occasions, whereas simpler cotton prints are acceptable
as informal wear. Men tend to wear subdued greens, browns and blues; whereas
women tend to wear lighter, brighter hues imitating plum and cherry
blossoms, sea foam, and bamboo.

http://www.jolique.com/japan/obi_ontology2.htm

Obviously the sites are listed below the stuff I 'stole'from them as a
reference.

Natalie

Old January 8th 04, 09:22 PM
Roberta Zollner

A Chinese friend once told me that bright green -something like a kelly
green- is a no-no color for garments, signifies adultery.
Roberta in D

Paternayan colors Bungadora Needlework 6 January 17th 05 12:08 AM
Glass stainers colors from Reusche fipodes Glass 4 November 25th 04 12:55 PM
AD: Scrapbooking Products and Partylite Babydi General Crafting 0 August 24th 03 06:30 AM
? for needlepointers on using different type threads in one piece Mmeindia Needlework 8 July 30th 03 04:22 AM