*Really* white porcelain slip?

Old February 18th 04, 10:14 PM
Robert Galejs

Default *Really* white porcelain slip?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find a *really* white
porcelain slip? There are many companies out there selling slip that is
named all manner of white, but they all turn out rather gray or
yellowish when fired. I mean the kind of white that is the same color
as your standard printer/copier paper. I know it must exist somewhere,
as I have some true white porcelain figurines and a miniature porcelain
tea set sitting on a table at home.

Thanks,

Robert Galejs

Old February 19th 04, 01:00 AM
Steve Mills

Geographically where are you?

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Robert Galejs
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath

Old February 19th 04, 03:47 PM
Nancy Albin

What ^ are you firing to? Are you fring China Porcelain or bone china
"porcelain"
NJ

Old February 19th 04, 04:14 PM
wayneinkeywest

Steve Mills wrote:
Geographically where are you?

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Robert Galejs
writes

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find a *really* white
porcelain slip? There are many companies out there selling slip that is
named all manner of white, but they all turn out rather gray or
yellowish when fired. I mean the kind of white that is the same color
as your standard printer/copier paper. I know it must exist somewhere,
as I have some true white porcelain figurines and a miniature porcelain
tea set sitting on a table at home.

Thanks,

Robert Galejs

Robert:
Since you're in MA, you might try http://www.continentalclay.com

I noticed in their catalog that they are now carying "Southern Ice", a
brilliant white clay from Australia. It would be rather easy to make slip
from that, and it would fire bright white (ox.)
I've ordered from them, and found them to be most helpful, and a great
company to deal with.
Hope that helps,
Wayne Seidl

Old February 19th 04, 06:42 PM
Robert Galejs

I can fire up to cone 10.

I have no idea of what the difference between china and bone china
porcelain. Could you explain the difference?

The porcelain slip I am searching for is to make antique doll
reproductions. After firing up to bisque, the doll head will be painted
in many passes with china paint, so I don't want to have a glassy
surface. In addition, real antique porcelain is very white and all of
the hobby porcelains that doll companies sell is quite gray.

Thanks,

Robert

Old February 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Robert Galejs

wayneinkeywest wrote:

Robert:
Since you're in MA, you might try http://www.continentalclay.com

I noticed in their catalog that they are now carying "Southern Ice", a
brilliant white clay from Australia. It would be rather easy to make slip
from that, and it would fire bright white (ox.)
I've ordered from them, and found them to be most helpful, and a great
company to deal with.
Hope that helps,
Wayne Seidl

Wayne -

Have you actually made slip out of Southern Ice? An apparently
knowledgable Byrne distributor told us that Southern Ice *cannot* be
made into a slip. I have no idea of why though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Old February 19th 04, 11:53 PM
annemarie

.. .

Steve Mills wrote:
[...]

Southern Ice is wonderful porcelain and very translucent. They are now also
producing Cool Ice, a low fire porcelain, cone 4 to 6.
It is very white.

Old February 20th 04, 05:27 AM
jim solo

the purest porcelain comes form France.it has the lowest iron content.if you
want that level of white you will have to find a supplier of clay from
there.

Old February 20th 04, 01:37 PM
wayneinkeywest

Wayne -

Have you actually made slip out of Southern Ice? An apparently
knowledgable Byrne distributor told us that Southern Ice *cannot* be
made into a slip. I have no idea of why though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert:
Sorry to contradict what you've been told, but
if they can make a clay from it, YOU can make a slip from it.
Mix with water, blend, done. I use a blender.
Terra Sig is something else
though. I'm having a great deal of trouble making THAT
from porcelain. Could just be me...
or the fact that most of the particles are the same size,
and therefore little to no separation.
Wayne