Walmart -- good news and bad news

Old September 23rd 05, 10:17 PM
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

Default Walmart -- good news and bad news

First the good news:
In their bead section they have *very* nice "bead reamer" for cleaning up
the mandrel coating in lampworked beads.

The bad news:
They are also carrying cheap-o packets of "lampworked" beads. (Yes, it
actually says "lampwork" on the package.)

Old September 23rd 05, 11:03 PM
Kandice Seeber

I don't go near Walmart - they are the devil. Bead reamers are available
online for less than $10 usually.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net

Old September 24th 05, 12:06 AM
Dr. Sooz

Giselle! What are you doing in a WalMart?!?!?!?! They're EVIL!!!

Old September 24th 05, 01:36 AM
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Giselle! What are you doing in a WalMart?!?!?!?! They're EVIL!!!

When you live in East Bumblef*ck, Indiana, that's your only choice. Period.

Old September 24th 05, 02:33 AM

de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies wrote:
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Giselle! What are you doing in a WalMart?!?!?!?! They're EVIL!!!

When you live in East Bumblef*ck, Indiana, that's your only choice. Period.

where I am I at least still have Ben Franklin as an alternative ...
(but that's it, next alternative is 100 miles away)

Maren
Tropical seeds - Job's Tears Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Old September 24th 05, 04:40 AM
Kalera

It's OK... cheap lampwork at least introduces novice beaders to the
concept, and they very often move on to the artisan work as they learn
more about it.

http://www.beadwife.com
Old September 24th 05, 10:12 AM
mermaidscove_com

Don't forget mail order ;-) (has a beadstore). I think you shouldn't
worry about competition from cheap lampwork, it's not the same and you
really can tell by looking. It's also a good point that people just
starting out and kids need cheaper materials. Also jewelry varies from
most things in that cheaper may be less attractive to most, it's a
luxury and sometimes a status item, that makes for different rules. You
can see boatloads of cheap lampowrk from India on Ebay but it's the
artists who get the bids.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

Old September 24th 05, 03:13 PM
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"mermaidscove_com" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't forget mail order ;-) (has a beadstore).

I do most of my shopping via mai order, actually, but sometimes you just
need something NOW.

In this case, I was wondering how to work some beads into jewelry and I
didn't want to trip into the world of findings without actually having
played with some of them first. Not that Walmart had an excellent selection
or anything (God I miss Joanne Fabrics and the big craft stores!) but at
least they had some things. The find of the day was the bead reamer. Under
five bucks, IIRC, and better than the one I did get online.

I think you shouldn't
worry about competition from cheap lampwork, it's not the same and you
really can tell by looking.

Oh, I'm not worried about it, exactly. It was just the shock of seeing it
on a package of beads for $2.88.

It's also a good point that people just
starting out and kids need cheaper materials.

Like findings?

Also jewelry varies from
most things in that cheaper may be less attractive to most, it's a
luxury and sometimes a status item, that makes for different rules. You
can see boatloads of cheap lampowrk from India on Ebay but it's the
artists who get the bids.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

Speaking of findings and jewelry, does anyone know of a good book on making
jewelry? I want something beyond the basics but every book I've seen so
far comes up with some pretty cheesy looking jewelry -- not anything I would
work *my* beads into.

Giselle

Old September 25th 05, 07:52 PM
Christina Peterson

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote ...

"Dr. Sooz" wrote...
Giselle! What are you doing in a WalMart?!?!?!?! They're EVIL!!!

When you live in East Bumblef*ck, Indiana, that's your only choice.

Period.

Only choice? Are you kidding? We got a WalMart just a year ago. (Next
closest one is 400 mi away). Of course, this is North Bumblef*ck. I'd
still be more inclined to go to a good hardware store for a reamer. The
University "bookstore" might have them too in their art department. And I'm
almost positive one of the bead stores (which also has classes) would have
them. Actually, the one I have, I ordered from Rio. All three choices
would also have a better quality product too.

Tina

Old September 25th 05, 08:25 PM
Kandice Seeber

Nope. You have many online choices.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net
"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message

ups.com...