Story - Please let me be adopted!

Old July 8th 03, 01:59 PM
Karen_AZ

Default Story - Please let me be adopted!

Still Mom was concerned: Those British television stations...are you sure
DD
will understand them? Are they subtitled in English? I reassured her that
they do speak English in Britian, and have for quite a while.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 8th 03, 03:48 PM
mkahogan

LOL!!!! Please warn me next time, I'll put down my coffeee cup before
reading.
KathyH
"Kathy Nicklas-Varraso" wrote in message
.com...
I say this often, usually tongue in cheek , after talking to my parents.
Tonight's phone call was to update Mom on my doctor's appointments, to yak
about various family matters and to talk about the upcoming trip to

Germany.
Yes, my heart is broken because I cannot go. Every doctor I see tells me

it
would be absolutely impossible for me to manage the flight and drive to my
grandparent's village. But still I hope for a miracle.

But back to Mom. She said that my aunt and uncle have bought a dual mode
VCR, so that my daughter can bring VHS tapes to Germany and watch them

there.
Mom is a movie maniac, so she wants DD to bring boatloads of tapes.

I hemmed and hawed a little, saying that the tapes are pretty unwieldy, so

DD
would probably take maybe two or three at most. Then I remembered: My

aunt
and uncle have a satellite dish: DD can watch British television stations
without any problems, and she really likes watching "the Simpsons" in as

many
foreign dubbed versions as possible.

Still Mom was concerned: Those British television stations...are you sure

DD
will understand them? Are they subtitled in English? I reassured her that
they do speak English in Britian, and have for quite a while.

Mom sounds like further research may be necessary before believing me.

After
all, Don't the Brits may have switched to something entirely different

from
English. Heck, I've been mistaken before, but I feel pretty confident

this
time.

Kathy N-V

Old July 8th 03, 04:32 PM
Diana Curtis

Yes, you must be adopted, or you take after your fathers side of the family,
or the smart genes skipped a generation.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 8th 03, 08:15 PM
Deirdre S.

My response, exactly. But I've also seen some British movies and TV
shows where subtitles would be welcome! As well as a gloss on some of
the slang and regionalisms.

Deirdre

Old July 9th 03, 05:41 PM
Amy Lloyd

Whahahahahahaw!!!! Everyone over here is always telling me that us
Americans have messed up their language! That's hilarious! Don't get
me wrong, there are some words/phrases that are different, I've been here
for 4.5 years and still find new words, but it's definately still English!
One of these days me and DH (he's English) will get around to writing an
American English to British English Dictionary!

Pumps = Sneakers
Aubergines = Eggplants
Corgettes = Zuccini
Pickle = A spread with veggies in it that's difficult to describe; ANYTHING
pickled, not just cucumbers
Marmite = AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! YICKY YICKY BLECK!!!

-Amy

Old July 9th 03, 06:25 PM
Shirley Shone

It shows that you did not go through WW11 Amy.
Marmite was part of the staple diet, spread on toast and bread. A
valuable vitamin B source for food deprived children.

My DH has it on his toast every morning.
Love
Shirley

In article , Amy Lloyd
writes
Whahahahahahaw!!!! Everyone over here is always telling me that us
Americans have messed up their language! That's hilarious! Don't get
me wrong, there are some words/phrases that are different, I've been here
for 4.5 years and still find new words, but it's definately still English!
One of these days me and DH (he's English) will get around to writing an
American English to British English Dictionary!

Pumps = Sneakers
Aubergines = Eggplants
Corgettes = Zuccini
Pickle = A spread with veggies in it that's difficult to describe; ANYTHING
pickled, not just cucumbers
Marmite = AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! YICKY YICKY BLECK!!!

-Amy

d.com...