Clip on magnifiers?

Old August 26th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Clip on magnifiers?

I've been struggling with being able to see fine work to stitch for
some time. I gave up a while back and bought the Mageyes that seem so
popular. They do work, however, I guess I have such a large head that I
can't wear the band as a headband (as I've seen other lucky users do),
so I'm forced to have the thing parked on my forehead. Well, that gets
hot quickly, so I end up doing very little stitching. I noticed in a
recent catalog a pair of clip on magnifiers and I'm just wondering how
they work for anyone who may use them. Sadly, I can't use the reading
glasses that everyone seems to find so helpful, since I'm nearsighted
in one eye and farsighted in the other. My long-winded question is: If
you have used those clip on magnifiers, how well do they work? Are you
comfortable with them? I'm not quite desperate but I'm getting there...

Thanks for any comments,
Tegan

Old August 26th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

wrote:
I've been struggling with being able to see fine work to stitch for
some time. I gave up a while back and bought the Mageyes that seem so
popular. They do work, however, I guess I have such a large head that I
can't wear the band as a headband (as I've seen other lucky users do),
so I'm forced to have the thing parked on my forehead. Well, that gets
hot quickly, so I end up doing very little stitching. I noticed in a
recent catalog a pair of clip on magnifiers and I'm just wondering how
they work for anyone who may use them. Sadly, I can't use the reading
glasses that everyone seems to find so helpful, since I'm nearsighted
in one eye and farsighted in the other. My long-winded question is: If
you have used those clip on magnifiers, how well do they work? Are you
comfortable with them? I'm not quite desperate but I'm getting there...

Don't rule out the cheap reading glasses yet. Pop the lens out of the
side on which you are farsighted and that might do the trick. Even if
it isn't a perfect solution you aren't out much money. DH is also
nearsighted in one eye and far in the other.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old August 26th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Marianne Teubner

Tegan,

I have been using the clip on magnifiers for years. I wear bifocal contact
lenses, and when I am wearing them I use reading glasses. When I take my
contacts out at night (when I do most of my stitching), I use the clip on
magnifiers with my bifocal glasses.

I have several pair of clip ons with different magnifications depending on
the piece I am working on.

I used to buy the clip ons at the Long's the local drug store, but they no
longer carry them. It is harder and harder to find the clip ons, especially
in 3.25 strength (which is my favorite strength).

Hope this helps.

Marianne T. (ready to stitch and watch baseball after reading this
newsgroup!!!!!)

ups.com...

Old August 26th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

Ack! Maybe I did have it backwards. I always get the two confused.
Listen to Tara.

Tara D wrote:
On 25 Aug 2006 17:10:08 -0700, "
wrote:

Sadly, I can't use the reading
glasses that everyone seems to find so helpful, since I'm nearsighted
in one eye and farsighted in the other.

Both my mother and I suffer the same affliction. :-) Obviously, the
nearsighted eye is not a problem. She used the cheap reading glasses
for years by simply removing the lens from the near sighted eye.

Tara

Old August 26th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

LOL... well, if I'm going to be disgustingly honest, even the
nearsighted eye is beginning to show signs of my arms being too short.
It could be time for new glasses, but gosh, seems like I just did that
last year.

I've tried the clip on magnifiers, but the problem there is She Who
Must Be Adored (otherwise known as Chen Li). She seems to think it's
put there strictly for HER amusement and simply must rub against it
constantly. And since I humor her (okay, read spoil there) completely,
it just makes me nuts to keep adjusting it, just so she can move it
again. She'll be 18 in December, so I pretty much let her rule the
house. She's even been known to push her way close enough to the
Mageyes to adorn it with her scent. While I'm wearing them... Nope.. no
spoiled cat in THIS house..

I suppose now that summer is almost over, I can tolerate the Mageyes
again... at least until I decide to invest in the clip-ons. I'm getting
closer and closer to saving up the dollars for lasik surgery and maybe
actually finding out what depth perception is all about! LOL

Thank you everyone, for all your suggestions!
Tegan

Old August 26th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

That would be great, but don't you use them, even occasionally? I'm
curious about them, but I don't want to deprive you of them, either.

And btw, I think I'm going to try and be at the Mill on Sunday. Laura
said something about them having a Fiber Fest (?) and would I like to
meet her there. I'm working graveyard Friday through Tuesday this week,
so if I do make it there, it will probably be around 2-3pm. Call me and
we'll see if I'm up.
Tegan

LizardGumbo wrote:

Mine work fine--when I remember to use them. I'll pop them in the mail
to you.

--
Elizabeth
Pop the bubbles to reply.

Website: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
WIP: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/wip.htm
Work to date: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/portfolio.htm

Old August 26th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

wrote:

Nope.. no
spoiled cat in THIS house..

Same here.

Their Majesties made it quite clear to me this morning that they did not
want Beef for breakfast. Since the next can in the stack was Lamb And
Rice, I humored their request. I am now being informed that perhaps I
misunderstood, we want FISH! One is trying to bury it to make sure I
get the message that Their Majesties are displeased.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com

Dover Clip Art Stencils for glass etching and or vinyl cutter Dennis.Doherty Glass 0 July 11th 06 08:16 PM
Clip Art ~Ann~ Quilting 4 October 10th 05 10:23 PM
screw-back clip earrings Marisa2 Beads 10 December 23rd 04 03:29 AM
Plastic clip frames to cover paintings? dulcie General Crafting 1 April 1st 04 02:54 PM
Magnifiers sheila Needlework 8 March 2nd 04 02:37 AM