Cast in place stones

Old November 24th 04, 06:17 AM
Jewelerman

Default Cast in place stones

Can I get a poll of what the bench jewelers out there charge for replacing
stones that come out when sizing those pesky stone cast in place rings? I
usually do not charge when I simply have to tighten the stones but when they
completely come out I try to get $3.00 to $5.00 per stone for resetting
(depending on how difficult the resetting is).The accounts that send me the
most of these type of rings are the ones that complain the most about the
extra charge so I want to see if my prices are in line.
Any comments would be appreciated also.

--
Jewelerman

Old November 24th 04, 09:31 AM
Ted Frater

Jewelerman wrote:
Can I get a poll of what the bench jewelers out there charge for replacing
stones that come out when sizing those pesky stone cast in place rings? I
usually do not charge when I simply have to tighten the stones but when they
completely come out I try to get $3.00 to $5.00 per stone for resetting
(depending on how difficult the resetting is).The accounts that send me the
most of these type of rings are the ones that complain the most about the
extra charge so I want to see if my prices are in line.
Any comments would be appreciated also.

What you charge for your work depends on your personal circumstances,
These will vary between every craftsperson, where they live wether there
self employed or work for a weekly wage etc etc. Im certainly wouldnt
spend any time on such a request, as we all know what it costs just to
sit a home with ones feet on the table.
your work is highly skilled so youll need to ask more than say a
carpenter or brick layer per hour.
From what you have described it seems that your being asked to fix
other peolpes poor workmanship for a very low price.
Cant you find more profitable work?
Its always better to design , make and market your own products direct
to the customer., you then control the whole operation and make the
profit on every part of this cycle. You wont always get it right but you
learn very quickly what it taskes to survive in any practical field.
Why dont you go to a high st or Mall jeweller with one of the items
your asked to fix and get a quote to get it done?
then let us all know what this is?
It will be interesting for all of us.
Ted Frater Dorset UK.

..