MLK day project

Old January 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default MLK day project

This is actually on topic. Today being MLK day, I am going to pause in
my DH vest project and knit toddler hats for a local charity. We often
think of Martin Luther King Jr. only with regard to the civil rights
movement but he also was active - especially in later years - in
fighting poverty, settling international disputes peacefully and in
encouraging people to actively help those in their own communities.
After our MLK service yesterday we had a young woman who grew up in our
church describe her work with homeless families (she is a social worker
and runs a family center that is part of a local agency). She needs
warm hats, mittens and sweaters for the little children who are
homeless in Seattle. Her program shelters families while aiding them
in finding subsized housing, training and jobs. David can wait another
day for his vest - while I do this for Kim. (I knew her as a teen and
am pleased to meet her as the competent and self confident young adult
she has become.)

Old January 17th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On 16 Jan 2006 10:22:55 -0800, "JCT" wrote:

This is actually on topic. Today being MLK day, I am going to pause in
my DH vest project and knit toddler hats for a local charity. We often
think of Martin Luther King Jr. only with regard to the civil rights
movement but he also was active - especially in later years - in
fighting poverty, settling international disputes peacefully and in
encouraging people to actively help those in their own communities.

I think Martin Luther King did more for democracy in the world than
any other person in the 20th century. When the Berlin wall came down,
young Germans were standing on top of it singing, "We shall overcome".
When the Phillipines got rid of that dictator Marcos, the people on
the streets handing flowers to the soldiers were inspired by Martin
Luther King. The young Chinese man with his briefcase standing alone
in front of a tank in 1989 is the very personification of Martin
Luther King's philosophy. (I think that photo is the one photo most
representative of the 20th century: the individual confronting
totalitarian force.) China still has a way to go, but the spirit of
1989 lives on.

Martin Luther King got his initial idea from Ghandi, but he was
uniquely able to make the idea universal and spread it to the world.
If I had to choose the most influential person in the 20th century it
would be a tossup between Churchill and Martin Luther King, and I
think I'd give the edge to Martin Luther King.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

My 8 year old just finished her first project! Theresa Needlework 5 January 6th 06 05:02 PM
New Years Cast On Project Craftkitten (Darlene) Yarn 58 January 10th 05 08:14 PM
Project planning Bungadora Beads 25 March 30th 04 08:12 AM
Limited Edition Needlepoint Project Available to Groups Napa Needlepoint Marketplace 0 December 16th 03 10:18 PM
My "New Wardrobe" Project Kari Yarn 0 October 1st 03 10:27 PM