Puzzle Quilt Feedback

Old March 1st 04, 02:08 AM
Mardi

Default Puzzle Quilt Feedback

Hi All:

This is for all of you who have purchased the Puzzle Quilt pattern or
are considering it. First of all, don't even consider trying this
quilt without the pattern. Second, make sure you follow their
suggestion for pasting all the fabrics on the little squares before
you start sewing (thus far I have done everyting I suggested). Third,
don't try sewing the quilt when you have had a couple of glasses of
wine! This is one quilt where you really do need to be organized and
fully aware of what you are sewing and in what order you are sewing.
It is certainly not a "weekend project".

Another hint is to make sure you have a 9 1/2" square ruler. I
happened to have one and it has been a great help in constructing this
quilt. You need to trim/square up your finished squares and since
they are 9 1/2" that ruler helps greatly.

Lastly, don't worry about cutting from a fat quarter. I had fabric
that was cut to quarter yards and I had no trouble getting two squares
out of the fabric and I actually ended up with a lot less waste than I
ended up with cutting fat quarters.

This is the first quilt I have ever made where I cut all the pieces
before starting construction. For this quilt, I think it is a must
do. I also ended up in stacking the pieces according to their colors.
It makes finding the piece of the puzzle you now need a lot easier.

Mardi
Old March 1st 04, 02:20 AM
Mary in Oregon

I back you on all points 150%...... I completed a lap size top using this
pattern..... I didn't past fabric squares on provided layout plan.... I laid
out swatches and took a pic with my digital camera and printed it out to use
as a guideline.

--
Mary
om...

Old March 1st 04, 02:47 AM
AliceW

Thanks Mardi and Mary. I did order the pattern and will attempt a baby
quilt once I get a few other things finished. Will follow all of your
suggestions, fear not! Thanks for passing them on.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Mardi" wrote in message
om...
: Hi All:
:

Old March 1st 04, 12:41 PM
Joan8904

I am so glad to hear that others feel the same way I do about following the
directions for the Jigsaw Quilt. It's the first time I've ever felt that way
and I was thinking I was just wimping out. Thank you!

joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old March 2nd 04, 04:50 AM
Susan Laity Price

I bought the pattern during my travels this fall. I haven't had the
time to try it but liked the idea that an all-over random quilting
pattern would work well. I thought the directions were a little wordy.
Sometime in June I should be able to try the pattern. I will start
with my idea for construction and report back to you. Of course by
that time you will all have moved on to another favorite pattern.

Susan

Old March 2nd 04, 12:35 PM
AliceW

Susan, June is about when I will start mine, given I get everything else
already in the pipeline finished by then, so you feel free to share any info
with me. It will still be my favorite du jour at that time!