In Search of the Lost Silver

Old December 30th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Richard

Default In Search of the Lost Silver

At least twenty years ago I purchased a specialty cast silver product,
which looked like a lot of little flat beads joined up in a long
strip, sold in foot long sections. The beads were around 0.1" wide,
and 0.050"thick, or 2.8mm wide by 1.3mm thick. Although it was stiff
like silver rod, I could easily bend it into round bezels perhaps
1.25" in diameter.
I now have to recreate my work from back then for another customer,
and to my surprise, I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone come across
this in their travels, or know of a supplier? If my description is not
good enough, I'll try and post a photo.
many thanks in advance
richard in Los Angeles
Old December 30th 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:40:23 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Richard
wrote:

At least twenty years ago I purchased a specialty cast silver product,
which looked like a lot of little flat beads joined up in a long
strip, sold in foot long sections. The beads were around 0.1" wide,
and 0.050"thick, or 2.8mm wide by 1.3mm thick. Although it was stiff
like silver rod, I could easily bend it into round bezels perhaps
1.25" in diameter.
I now have to recreate my work from back then for another customer,
and to my surprise, I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone come across
this in their travels, or know of a supplier? If my description is not
good enough, I'll try and post a photo.
many thanks in advance
richard in Los Angeles

You might try metaliferous in New York. Find their web site. They stock a very
wide range of stampings and silver shapes. More than most others. If it's
still made, I'd guess they probably still carry it.

Peter
Old December 31st 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Richard wrote:
At least twenty years ago I purchased a specialty cast silver product,
which looked like a lot of little flat beads joined up in a long
strip, sold in foot long sections. The beads were around 0.1" wide,
and 0.050"thick, or 2.8mm wide by 1.3mm thick. Although it was stiff
like silver rod, I could easily bend it into round bezels perhaps
1.25" in diameter.
I now have to recreate my work from back then for another customer,
and to my surprise, I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone come across
this in their travels, or know of a supplier? If my description is not
good enough, I'll try and post a photo.
many thanks in advance
richard in Los Angeles

It's called "beaded wire"

Try Myron Toback in NYC.

Here is the page in their catalogue that seems to have it.

http://www.myrontoback.com/46.html (top right of the page)

Good luck

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old December 31st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Richard

Dear Peter and Abrasha,
Many thanks for your help, they both carry what I'm looking for, plus
a whole lot of other goodies to stretch my creativity :-)
keep up the great work
Richard in Los Angeles