Whew! Good Site; And, My Summer Report

Old July 21st 03, 06:17 PM

Default Whew! Good Site; And, My Summer Report

I have been rummaging around at one of my favorite sites:
www.lilyabello.com
Her Sewing Machine Resource guide is Da Bomb! (When you go to her home
site, look for the link to the S.M.R. page).
A visit there is like following the exponential yellow brick road: one
site leads to 20 more good places, which leads to 400 places, which
leads to 160,000 great places... I may stay there all summer!
On the sewing front, I just sold a wee antique glossy black turned
wood and cane settee, which I'd refurbished earlier this year. (or was
it last year?) It is a charming piece; I slipcovered the cushions in
black-and-white toile, and it's going to a new home, a b-and-w toile
bedroom, so I know it will be happy.
This means I have money to start on the next project, wherein I
revive a tattered old ( prolly early 1800's) high, tight-back settee. I
won't be able to date it better until I've opened the cadaver, so to
speak. It's in crummy shape.
DS has it stashed in his warehouse. He's good to me, keeps all of my
old furniture finds high and dry 'till I have room and energy to work on
each one, and then he delivers the next body to me. I am such a sucker
for the old pieces which few people are willing to tackle. If it has
good bones, I can't let it go to the dump, so I work them in around the
alterations, then live with them for what can be a very long time, until
they find a new owner.
I just bought a nice chinoiserie armchair, which needs only some stain
and a new cushion to be perfect, but few of my finds are so easily
spiffied-up. I may look for a bamboo-patterned fabric, or just go with
the blatant, chinese-emperor brocade. I know I have some silk brocades
stashed. I envision the cushion with box edges and welting; cotton
velvet, perhaps, on one side, to keep it from sliding off the seat,
brocade on the other side. I'm open to good ideas, however.
GDD sewing lessons are 'proceeding apace', and she has a good start
on her school wardrobe. Hard to believe it is almost Aug.
Watcha doin' in your sewing rooms?
Cea