QSD: Simple Nine Patch

Old June 2nd 04, 01:09 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default QSD: Simple Nine Patch

QSD: Quilt Style Discussion
This is an occasional forum to discuss some basic quilt styles.
They aren't necessarily the quilts we are sewing/quilting now.
This is just a chance for open discussion of the topic.

If you need/want to change the topic, please open a new thread!
This is not the place to discuss thread, acronyms, chocolate,
etc. When the Official Chocolate Taster says that you KNOW it is
important!! Thanks.

So, on to SIMPLE NINE PATCH!

Even though this design is not a major challenge, nor does it
cause excitement in quilt exhibits, it is a often a very
satisfying design. The Nine Patch alternated with a plain (un
pieced) square is a wonderful venue for showcasing a large
novelty print. If one uses quieter print or solids, one has a
lovely canvas to display special quilting motifs. It also lends
itself to applique motifs in the plain squares.

Even though this is a simple design, it requires at least one
special consideration to be successful. It should have odd number
of blocks in both directions, so that the quilt top corners are
all the same design. That way the chain of small squares will
continue right into each corner. (Yes I know there are no quilt
police, but this is what I think!!)

Do you like Simple Nine Patch for the same reasons I do or do you
find it incredibly boring?? What is your view?

PAT, working on a nine patch UFO today, in VA/USA

Old June 2nd 04, 01:48 PM
Diana Curtis

This is one of my favorite blocks. It is deceptively simple yet lends itself
to all manner of variations. By varying the colors within the block and the
ones next to it one can create a subtle gradations of colors that run thru
the quilt. Placing it with other pieced blocks creates a chance to make
secondary patterns. It is an ideal block for beginners who wish to perfect
their piecing skills and still make a visual impact with color and texture.
I think I could make quilts of nothing but nine patches the rest of my
life and never run out of ways to make them interesting.
Diana, also deceptively simple
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old June 2nd 04, 01:50 PM
Dannielle

I actually haven't put a simple nine patch in any of my pieces yet. (Heck, I
haven't even completed an entire quilt yet! Only a whole cloth baby quilt
has been finished!) However, I have been looking at some quilts that
feature the nine patch and find them quite intriguing.

I like the feel of the chain of squares running from one corner to the next.
Isn't this the basic premise of the Irish Chain pattern, or am I mistaken
there? (being a newbie, it wouldn't surprise me if I were wrong!) And I
had not yet considered the idea of interspersing them with applique on the
larger squares!

However, how do you make them? Do you cut out nine squares and sew them
together? Do you cut strips, then sew them together and then cut them and
re-arrange them to make the nine patch? What's the preferred method?

I cannot wait to see if anyone else has other applications of this simple
patch that will spark new ideas!

Dannielle

Old June 2nd 04, 02:33 PM
Betty in Wi

I cut strips and sew together.....example: sew a light strip, dark strip,
light strip together---then sew a dark strip, light strip, dark strip
together. Then cut these long strips into short strips the same width as
your beginning long strip. Sew these short strips together to form a
nine-patch block.

We did a nine-patch exchange in our Guild. We were then able to make "charm"
nine-patch quilts. You would be amazed at the variety of quilts made with
these simple nine-patches. My nine-patches were sewn in vertical rows with a
plain strip (same width) between them. Others set them on point in various
patterns---or as suggested the more common way with a plain block between
them.

Betty in WI

Old June 2nd 04, 02:35 PM
Patti

Thanks Pat
I used to think it was rather a boring block; and couldn't see how it
could be made interesting. Since then, I've grown up! and now I have
seen some wonderful uses. My favourites are irregular/uneven nine
patch, a curved nine patch; and, best of all, Blooming Nine Patch. That
is one splendid use of it.
I would just like to extend the discussion slightly and emphasise that
simple done beautifully is just as satisfying and pleasing to do and to
look at as something 'fancy' or complicated done not so well.
As to Danielle's question about method of construction: I make two sets
of strips: ABA and BAB, cut them into pieces and arrange them. Years
ago I would have cut out the squares, but not any more.
..
In article ksjvc.5555$Y21.3258@lakeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 2nd 04, 02:35 PM
frood

I understand your reasons, Pat. I have even seen fabulous examples of
9-patch quilts. However, the block itself holds no appeal for me. I dislike
the fact that you need 2 different colorations (dark corners, white corners)
to get the checkerboard look. I dislike that an odd number of blocks is
needed for symmetry in the corners. I dislike that it is boring to make.

I have recently made un-even 9-patches for Miss Fussy Rose's quilt. I made
bunches of them, scrappy and different. Apart from the fact that it wasn't a
complete bore to design them, I still dislike them.

It's just not the block for me. :-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old June 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
Musicmaker

My first quilt was a nine-patch. I love it. I alternated the nine patches
with embroidered blocks that I inherited from Dh's deceased wife, and it's
satisfied me for 12 years. I'm currently planning the 3rd nine patch of my
quilting career -- same as above, using the last 12 embroidered blocks of
the inheritance. The 12 include the blocks that my stepson's Mom did before
she died, and the quilt will be a wedding present for him (though it's not
official yet - he hasn't proposed) The 9-patches will give an Amish
impression - 4 sampler blocks using the same 2 colors (one of which will be
dark gray) in each 9 patch.

--
Cindy Bettinger;

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net

Old June 2nd 04, 02:49 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:09:52 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

[...]

I do love the nine-patch and the way it is simple, but can have so
many variations. I also like the fact that I can cut 2 1/2" strips
from my fabrics when they're washed and ironed and when I need a quick
block, I can put a couple of strips together and voila! I used to
always make monochromatic blocks all the time (light green/dark green)
but recently I've been making blocks with radically different bright
colors. I think that will make a lovely set of blocks for a Linus
Quilt. I hope to finish one before I go to Russia....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 2nd 04, 04:03 PM
Teresa in Colorado

Ah - my favorite block.

I am currently making my 3rd Radiant 9 Patch. Trying out border
possibilities.
Look he
http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilt....html-Merchant
ID-365299-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-10.html to see this mornings work.

This is my third Radiant 9 Patch.

--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

Old June 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
Diana Curtis

http://tinyurl.com/2n4ou try that url instead to see that wonderful
Radiant 9 patch. Wow!!!
Diana

"Teresa in Colorado" wrote in message
Ah - my favorite block.

I am currently making my 3rd Radiant 9 Patch. Trying out border
possibilities.
Look he

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilt....html-Merchant
ID-365299-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-10.html to see this mornings

work.

This is my third Radiant 9 Patch.

--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

---

Simple Beaded Bookmarks? Lori Greenberg Beads 4 June 20th 04 04:03 AM
Crazy patch Quilt SC Quilting 3 April 4th 04 12:06 AM
A real 4 patch Happy Dance Lindroos Quilting 2 February 4th 04 04:42 PM
Nine patch quilt blocks Beth Pierce Quilting 1 November 1st 03 02:41 PM