OT - the Grossest Story Ever

Old September 20th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera Stratton

Default OT - the Grossest Story Ever

OK, yesterday I had some shunts removed. I couldn't talk about the
shunts yesterday, but today I am up and at 'em, sorta, albeit in a
slightly passing-out kind of way, and I am going to totally subject you
to the Story of the Shunts.

SEVERE GROSSOUT ALERT

My friend Cori took me in at 9:30 yesterday am for the shunt removal
(the plastic bits holding my nose open). The surgeon had called them "a
little framework" and said they would "slide right out".

NO. NO NO NO. They were not LITTLE, to start with. They were the size of
my nose, but inside my nose. No wonder I looked the way I did! (ie NOT
PRETTY.)

My surgeon was in surgery all day yesterday so a younger partner was
handling the removal. He shined a little light up there, said "OK, let
me just check out what he's got going on, this will just take a minute"
then had me hold a plastic tray (in case I needed to spit, he said),
hosed down the inside of my nose with a little squirty-sucky device, got
a little tweezer-thing and started pulling. I started saying
"AAAAHHHHHHH" because OMG. No, really. Just OMG. Then he stopped and
said "I'm so sorry, it appears that he did stitch those into place - I
couldn't see the stitches because of the clotting. I just need to grab a
suture scissors real quick..." and he started looking for suture
scissors. And not finding them. And sweating. Yes, the doctor. Sweat was
beading up all over his upper lip and brow, and he had a very definite
"remain calm" air about him as he opened the door and yelled into the
hallway "ONA CAN YOU FIND SOMETHING FOR ME?" Ona came in (she is a real
sweetie, and so kind to me every time I see her) and started looking for
the suture scissors. Meanwhile, I am sitting in the chair with this huge
thing half-in, half-out, feeling a lot like it was trying to rip my face
apart.

Finally (it was probably only 30 seconds or so) Ona found the scissors,
the doctor snipped all the stitches, asked me if I was going to pass out
or anything, apologized a million more times, and finished pulling the
shunts out. It was... not very pleasant. Also he kept asking me if I was
OK, which, you know, I was OK mostly in the "Well I'm not actually IN
mortal danger right now" sort of way.

And then he rinsed me thoroughly (while I tried to as hard as possible
to avoid looking at the objects in the tray I WAS STILL HOLDING) and
told me to come back next week to have the other shunt removed. THE
OTHER SHUNT? Yes, apparently there is still one in my head somewhere. I
don't know exactly where. He said it should be a piece of cake. Then he
told me to rinse my sinuses with saline solution once an hour to flush
the clots out, and sent me on my merry way.

I will not talk about the clots right now. I am sure you can imagine
just fine and don't need to have it detailed. I will tell you one thing,
and that is that after three times in labor and childbirth, I can assure
you that I like the labor and childbirth better.
Old September 20th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

eeeewww heew heew heew!!! (half sympathetic laughter, half grossed out
and my stomach is sorta rolling over noise). You poor darling! Take
drugs, pass out, right away. Hopefully you will develop amnesia.

(stomach still rolling over)
Marisa
www.galleryvittoria.co.nz

Old September 20th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Paulette Insall

Oh my gosh you poor thing!!! After all that and he still didn't get all the
shunts??? Geez!

Hopefully once this is all done and over with, you'll never have to do it
again....unlike childbirth and labor that you had to endure three times. My
labor was the most pain I've ever felt in my entire life! I can't even
imagine being in even more pain. YIKES!

--
Paulette
SPIglass Studio ~ handmade art glass beads & jewelry

My blog
http://www.spiglass-studio.com/myblog/myblog.html

Ebay auctions - ID flutterbearies
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflutterbearies

My Etsy shop
http://spiglass.etsy.com

. ..

Old September 20th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Spot

You know I wouldn't let them in there another week. I would call the office
back and insist on having it removed ASAP they are only to be in the sinus
cavity 10 to 14 days. Not to mention now that the stitches have been
removed it may shift and be even more difficult to get out.

Celeste

Old September 20th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Kalera -- ask if you can have the doctor who put them in, remove the
remaining shunts SINCE HE KNOWS WHAT THE HELL HE IS DOING!!!! Good God
girl.

I was thinking about you last night -- I bet it was the sinus infection
that kept your tonsils infected. Infected drainage -- it is my guess
that your tonsils were a side effect in this minidrama.

I can't believe you have to go through that again, darlin. I was
really wanting some sinus surgery until you did this -- now I'm
wondering.

Becki

Old September 20th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
jim redden

Hmmm did someone say lunch after that little visit!

Sorr, couldn't pass that one up.

Jim

Beagasms for all!

Old September 20th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl

Kalera --
EWWWWW
yep - definitely gross --
I've seen them do that removal stunt.
Definitely not fun
(thank god not me!)

does not sound
like fun - at all!

But - the good thing...
you are on the mend!

Hugs
hang in there...

Cheryl

Old September 20th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dawn >^..^

OMG, Kalera!!!
My whole face hurt just reading that. You poor thing!!!
Just keep thinking about how much better you're going to feel (and breathe)
when this is all healed up.
I had my tonsils out when I was 6 or 7 years old. When I woke up in the
hospital bed, the nurse asked if there was anything she could bring me. Of
course I asked for Cracker Jacks of all things! They hadn't quite explained
to me that I was going to be on a broth diet for 2 weeks.....LOL!
Fortunately, my Grandmother made the best egg drop soup!
--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

Old September 20th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera Stratton

Spot wrote:
You know I wouldn't let them in there another week. I would call the office
back and insist on having it removed ASAP they are only to be in the sinus
cavity 10 to 14 days. Not to mention now that the stitches have been
removed it may shift and be even more difficult to get out.

Celeste

This one is actually in a different location; I think it's quite a bit
further up in my sinus, where they took the cyst out. He said it's
supposed to stay in place at least ten days, and I just had the surgery
this past Friday.
Old September 20th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera Stratton

Beckibead wrote:
Kalera -- ask if you can have the doctor who put them in, remove the
remaining shunts SINCE HE KNOWS WHAT THE HELL HE IS DOING!!!! Good God
girl.

Yes, I am DEFINITELY going to see my surgeon for the removal of the last
shunt! I also got the "I am SO NOT going in there and screwing this up!"
vibe from the younger doctor... I don't think he wants to take any risks
after that experience!

I was thinking about you last night -- I bet it was the sinus infection
that kept your tonsils infected. Infected drainage -- it is my guess
that your tonsils were a side effect in this minidrama.

They were definitely minor part players! The main bad guy was that big
cyst. I don't think I'm going to ever regret having the tonsils removed,
but they sure weren't causing the main problem... but thank goodness I
DID go in about them, because I wonder how long I would have had to go
before finding out about the sinus thing otherwise?

I can't believe you have to go through that again, darlin. I was
really wanting some sinus surgery until you did this -- now I'm
wondering.

Ya know, don't wonder... go get it checked out! I've heard only good
things from other people who've had sinus surgery. For most people, it's
relatively simple and the recovery time is quick! For that matter, I
think I'm going to be so so happy I did this.

Becki

eScrew [email protected] Yarn 0 December 20th 04 10:54 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 12:30 PM