Image transfer

Old February 25th 05, 11:18 AM
mermaidscove_com

Default Image transfer

Hi,
I haven't worked with clay for a long time, I wanted to try a few
things. I can't recall how to do image transfer. Can anybody provide
some pointers? I think I remember it varies with the kind of ink or
some work better than others... was there one that used alcohol? Help
would be appreciated.

Ingrid

Old February 25th 05, 02:13 PM
Diana Curtis

I havent done any yet, but if you look at www.glassattic.com there should be
a whole section devoted to image transfers. HTH
Diana

--
I know all the answers, it's the questions I have problems with
oups.com...

Old February 26th 05, 09:43 AM
mermaidscove_com

Thanks, that's a great link, I've bookmarked it. I do however find the
writing style incomplete, many half sentences ending in question marks
and that kind of thing. A good start though. The main thing I am
wondering about now is TLS, liquid clay. I've seen several places say
it's for image transfer but nobody says how exactly. For instance do
you use it before or after baking? Something I read made it sound like
it was similar to gel medium or acrylic glaze rather than being like
clay. I will search more on the net but if anybody has direct
experience, please lend me some advice.

Ingrid

Old February 26th 05, 10:01 AM
mermaidscove_com

Thanks again...nevermind that last message. I didn't realize how long
this page is. I found some useful examples further down.

Ingrid

Old February 26th 05, 10:06 AM
Carla

I've tried TLS with magazine pictures. I'm a very impatient type,
though, so I haven't gotten great results (so far g).

Cut out a pic you want to use, leaving lots of space around the picture
itself. Paint on a thick coating of TLS. The piece should be in
whatever dish/pan you use for baking already, so you don't have to
handle it once you've coated it. Bake for about 7-10 minutes at 275
degrees (that's what worked for me, anyway). When you take the dish out
of the oven, immediately fill it with water so the piece is covered, and
leave it until the paper is soaked enough to peel off (about 20 minutes
or so). The image from the magazine is then on the clay, a very thin
sheet. (Really cool, too, is how the whole thing is just "lifted" from
the glossy magazine page, leaving just the white paper.)

Here's where I get impatient - using whatever piece of clay I'm going to
put the image on (white or light colors work best), coat it with TLS,
*carefully* place the transfer, coat that with more TLS, and smooth down
the edges, get rid of the airbubbles, etc., smooth the edges some
more..and some more...and some more. And try to do it without leaving
fingerprints or tearing the transfer sheet.

Then stick the whole thing back in the oven and bake at recommended temp
for the size/thickness.

I've found that the process of transferring the image to TLS is
considerably easier than getting it to lie flat on another piece

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Carla

Old February 26th 05, 10:58 AM
mermaidscove_com

That makes sense, sounds similar to a transfer technique for putting an
image from glossy stock onto leather using gel medium.
I can imagine that the film you get would be hard to work with if it's
not flexible. I'll give it a try.

Old February 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats ok. The glass attic was made up of quotes from this very newsgroup
and other sources I believe, and is a work in progress.
But, for your enjoyment, here is a links list to all sorts of other claying
information. http://www.polyclay.com/links.htm
Bon apetite!
Diana

Old February 26th 05, 06:48 PM
Stephanie

I've found that the process of transferring the image to TLS is
considerably easier than getting it to lie flat on another piece

I read that you can sandwich the piece between 2 tiles and bake it. You
have to use parchment paper to keep it from sticking. I haven't tried
it yet though. Samething if you are baking thinner pieces of clay and
want them very flat.

...Stephanie..

Old February 27th 05, 09:04 AM
mermaidscove_com

Thanks! I could get lost for days between these two, lots of good
inspiration.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com