Decreasing the size of a pattern

Old February 7th 05, 10:11 PM
Jennifer

Default Decreasing the size of a pattern

Hello!

I am currently making my dog a sweater similar to the one found at:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-dogSweater.html. Mine is just
plain wool, but pattern itself is very similar.

My dog is only 11" around and 7" long. I am having a really hard time
figuring out the stepping down to the smaller end part of this. I used
basic algebra to figure out the amount of stiches to start with. But I
am a bit perplexed now.

Is there a basic formula to fingure out how to make patterns smaller
(and larger). I couldn't find a pattern for a dog my size.

Regards,
Jennifer

Old February 7th 05, 10:56 PM
Wooly

The easiest way to change a pattern's size is to change the GAUGE.
This is easy because you then need simply follow the pattern as
written.

You'll have to keep doing math to figure out where to make decreases
and whatnot. Read the pattern, figure the distances to the various
landmarks, then do the ratios to determine where on your pattern to do
the shaping.

Or, find a pattern that's the right size

On 7 Feb 2005 14:11:51 -0800, "Jennifer"
spewed forth :

Old February 8th 05, 04:24 AM
Richard Eney

In article .com,
Jennifer wrote:

I am currently making my dog a sweater similar to the one found at:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-dogSweater.html. Mine is just
plain wool, but pattern itself is very similar.

My dog is only 11" around and 7" long. I am having a really hard time
figuring out the stepping down to the smaller end part of this. I used
basic algebra to figure out the amount of stiches to start with. But I
am a bit perplexed now.

Is there a basic formula to figure out how to make patterns smaller
(and larger). I couldn't find a pattern for a dog my size.

Isn't the bottom of most dog sweaters fairly simple? They don't usually
cover all four legs, so the narrow end is just a flap.

Just measure the dog at the parts you want to cover, narrow end and wide
end, and draw the shape on paper. Then figure how many stitches you need
at your gauge to fill that shape. I think the decreasing should be evenly
spread around but not at the very edges. If you like, you could do all
the decreases along two lines, for a fitted-suit look.

=Tamar
Old February 8th 05, 02:59 PM
enigma

(Richard Eney) wrote in
:

In article
.com,
Jennifer wrote:

[...]

there is a dog sweater pattern generator he
http://www.thedietdiary.com/cgi-bin/chart_dog.pl

i've used it to plot a sweater for my pygmy goat (who happens
to be too chubby, so is hugely wider than any dogg). it
seems to work well.
hth
lee

New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM
Needle/Hook Size Kathryn Yarn 13 January 22nd 04 09:27 AM
Pattern search Janise Ross Yarn 17 November 18th 03 05:58 PM
Need older pattern BEI Design Sewing 10 November 8th 03 07:48 AM
A Question About Needle Size Brian D Yarn 2 August 10th 03 07:41 AM