For those who weave.

Old December 30th 03, 09:22 AM
Cher

Default For those who weave.

Hi all, for those who weave.

I started weaving two, almost three years ago, and for some reason now, I
cannot find any enthusiasm to knit anymore. Or I don't like the material
produced from knitting.

I've been knitting for years, since I was a babe...

I have a couple of huge cones of mohair, most bought in charity shops for
weaving with. Anyway I used to be able to pick up a yarn, and a pair of
needles and sit and knit. Lately I don't seem to be able to. I mean I can
knit alright, it's just that the material I am producing, doesn't look as
good as it does when it is woven. I try changing needle size but to no
avail.

It really is a pain, as I used to enjoy knitting. whether with my own spun
yarn or shop bought.

Why is this? I seem to be judging it against a woven (in my head) piece of
material. It is either too loose too floppy, too thick too tight, just what
is going on here with me?

I cannot weave a sweater, unless I cut material I've woven and sew it into a
jacket or tunic, and I don't want to do this.

Perhaps I ought to put my needles and yarn away for a week or so and see how
I feel then, when I have had time to, miss it.

Any idea's anyone??

Cheers......Cher

---

Old December 30th 03, 01:19 PM
Katherine

"Cher" wrote
snip of sad story
Perhaps I ought to put my needles and yarn away for a week or so and see

how
I feel then, when I have had time to, miss it.

That's what I would do. Put no pressure on yourself to knit. You will come
back to it.
Katherine

Old December 30th 03, 03:59 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:22:02 -0000, "Cher" wrote:

Hi all, for those who weave.

I started weaving two, almost three years ago, and for some reason now, I
cannot find any enthusiasm to knit anymore. Or I don't like the material
produced from knitting.

I find it goes in cycles, but the mental and physical motions of machine
knitting are more similar to weaving, so it's sometimes easier to
transition that way. I've been in a hand knitting cycle for quite a while,
now, and can't seem to warm up to warping any of my looms, not even the
little rigid heddle! I may find my way back to the loom by way of the
knitting machine, just as you are coming the other way.

It really is a pain, as I used to enjoy knitting. whether with my own spun
yarn or shop bought.

Why is this? I seem to be judging it against a woven (in my head) piece of
material. It is either too loose too floppy, too thick too tight, just what
is going on here with me?

Don't forget the changes that result from finishing, especially in mohair.
What looks way too loose as you're knitting will look just fine after
washing and brushing. Swatch!

I cannot weave a sweater, unless I cut material I've woven and sew it into a
jacket or tunic, and I don't want to do this.

Don't like to cut your handwoven? I can relate to that, but since I hate
shawls and can only use so many blankets, I had to get over it. I would
recommend any of Anita Luvera Mayer's books on garment making from
handwoven. Clothing From the Hands That Weave comes to mind.

You could try a transition garment. For example, start with a double-weave
ruana, then add a knitted shawl collar and cuffs. Or add a big knitted cowl
neck to a woven poncho or quetzquemetyl. Many of the garments in Betty
Beard's Fashions From the Loom could benefit from a little added knitting.

Perhaps I ought to put my needles and yarn away for a week or so and see how
I feel then, when I have had time to, miss it.

Any idea's anyone??

Putting it away until after 12th night is traditional, they say, but you
know "they" will say anything!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old December 30th 03, 05:30 PM
Aud

Cher, I have had my weave periode,
now it is back to knitting and crocheting.
But my weave stands there , winking to me every day,
so perhaps I will go back, and be like you!!LOL!
I recognice what you say, and think it depends of the fact
that we are so "devoted" to that work we are doing
that the "second best" is not good enough!
My experiance is now
that weaving and knitting are good for "different" reasons,
and "BEST" in different ways.
BTW, have you tried to combine the tecniques in a jacker, f.i.?

I have no pictures of what I have woven,

But in the seventies I did a bit "experimental weave".
Seeing some of them now them now, I think they are typical seventies:
http://tinyurl.com/395uy
AUD ;-)

--

"Cher" skrev i melding

Old December 30th 03, 06:24 PM
Katherine

Aud,
They are lovely! I especially liked the kind of totem pole one.
Katherine

Old December 30th 03, 06:46 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Cher,

I don't weave, but do counted cross stitch. When I get bored doing that it's
time to pick up the crochet hook or knitting needles. After seeing the fabric
on the table next to me for a few days, I'll pick it up again. I guess we all
go through these stages.

Hugs,

Nora

Aud,
Loved your weaving.
Old December 30th 03, 06:52 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Cher....
I go through stages like that *all* the time... right now the shawl I
started eons ago hasn't been touched in months and months.... I seem to be
on a crochet kick and a bobbin-lace kick (well, spinning too, grinning
evilly)... but my k-machine sits idle, hand knitting is idle and tatting
is idle too....
such is life...
Hugs,
Noreen
--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 30th 03, 07:01 PM
Cher

It is more annoying than anything else, I don't want to shut myself up in
the shed and do any weaving, much as I am itching to start some, but even
with the heater on, it won't make it any more cheerful up there. It is dull
and dismal for the most part of the day here, and that is probably what the
battle is. Because I want to get to my loom and can't .. If I could I
expect I'd rather weave.

I do get sort of restless this time of the year. I can't wait to get my
Christmas decs put away, and that shows a sign of wanting to move on
towards spring again.

I saw the birds investigating the bird house today, and I know it won't be
long now, until they are back in the garden, then the place near my shed,
will once again ring with bird song, and I shall be able to go up there and
weave, and watch them from the window.

This is what it is all about I think.

Thanks for your input Katherine. I have got out some very fine sparkly
blue's and blacks yarn, so I may work on some gloves with this for a while.

All the best....Cher

Katherine wrote in message

"Cher" wrote
snip of sad story

Old December 30th 03, 07:04 PM
Cher

Hi Helen, reading this has filled me with a desire to weave something all
over again, and to top it all, I know I picked up a box of very dark fur
fabric pieces from a charity shop not long back, knowing they would make a
really great collar and cuffs for some garment. So your books info is
interesting...have you an ISBN to any of the books you mention??

Many thanks, I am having a go at some gloves at the moment, see how this
goes, as I seem to be able to knit small things, that are what I call
mindless knitting, like socks gloves and squares...lol

Isn't it weird?

THanks again....Cher

Old December 30th 03, 07:10 PM
Cher

Yes, that is exactly it Aud, second best but not quite good enough...yet I
know I knit alright, it is some sort of after Christmas pitfall I am sure.

Plus the fact that I want to weave and can't as it is too cold and dismal up
at the top of the garden, so I am having withdrawal symptons. Edward goes
away for five days on friday, so maybe I'll bring a loom down to the dining
room table for a few days.

Of course that is another thing that no doubt gets me down, I can't get
out, like I can when Edward is at school, so I'm feeling right down in the
dumps........maybe that is what it is.....housebound!

My other son is on 2-10pm shift, and will mind him in the mornings for me to
nip up to the shop, and DH will have him any evening if I want to go out,
but I don't feel like going anywhere in the dark on my own...lol.

So maybe I'm a bit down after all the weeks of preparation and the like...

Well come on Cher, snap out of this one me gal....Can't afford to be down
in the dumps.

Right I'm gonna do these gloves ...thanx.....Cher

Aud wrote in message
[...]

BOOK REVIEW: Beading With Right Angle Weave: A Beadwork How-to Book Cheri2Star Beads 9 October 26th 04 02:01 AM
Cro-tat Books & crochetnit books !! Also Crochet 'n' Weave Marilyn S. Safier Marketplace 0 December 10th 03 09:46 PM
Help Finding Even Weave Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 7 November 3rd 03 09:06 PM
A Vicki weave Christina Peterson Beads 6 October 6th 03 09:06 PM
Right angle weave? Marilee J. Layman Beads 1 August 28th 03 10:44 PM