Advice Needed

Old October 9th 04, 06:31 AM
Diane

Default Advice Needed

Hello again everyone.

I have been busy cutting squares most of the day. Whew! glad that part is
almost over.
I have around 350-400 4 1/2" squares.
I still have to wash and cut the fleece yet, but I'll wait until tomorrow
to do that.

Do the colors go together? I'm not really good with that part.
I know it's too soon to think about it, but I can't figure out what color
to use for the backing. Any ideas?

I put the pics in the WIP album.
There are two versions. I haven't decided which one I'm going to go with yet.

http://community.webshots.com/user/diane0713

Would love to hear everyone's opinion.
Thank you in advance,
Diane
Old October 9th 04, 06:43 AM
maryd

I like the 9 patch layout. Why are you washing the fleece? Is it going to
be the batting? If so, why are you cutting it? Guess I'm confused about
what you are doing.

--
Mary

Old October 9th 04, 01:46 PM
Elizabeth

If you decide to use layout #2 with the sashing, I would use an even darker
purple for the small corner squares - it would give the lighter lavenders a
little more zing. Personally, I generally go for a darker backing, although
I'm not sure why.

Elizabeth (from Texas)

Old October 9th 04, 02:30 PM
MoragP

I put the pics in the WIP album.
There are two versions. I haven't decided which one I'm going to go with yet.
BRBR

Please go with #2. It's a much more interesting layout. The black squares
really spice it up.
JMO, of course.
Morag in Detroit
Old October 9th 04, 02:40 PM
frood

The colors look great - I like the variety of textures in the fabrics. In
the 2nd layout, what will go in the empty spots?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 9th 04, 03:05 PM
Diane

The fleece I guess is the background color?
I will be sewing the fleece pieces to each square.
I understand fleece shrinks so thought I would pre-shrink it first?
I'm not sure if I'm going to though.
I read in one of the posts (not pertaining to fleece) that the scrunchie?
look has a nice effect. Thought I would try it for this project.

Thanks Mary,
Diane

Old October 9th 04, 03:11 PM
Diane

Thanks, Judy

I'm glad you like the colors. It's as close as I could get to the pic
I found a while back.
I'm embarrassed to say I lost it somehow so I'm doing this by memory.

It certainly was a lot of cutting. I didn't realize I had cut that
many until after I finally stopped. I was afraid if I did stop, I
wouldn't continue. I was pretty tired.

Thank you for your input.
Diane

Old October 9th 04, 03:25 PM
Diane

Oh my....

I couldn't understand what Elizabeth, Morag and Frood were talking about
until I checked the picture.

It was late when I put the sample together and didn't see what I had done.

My intention was to have long strips of white elminating the little space.

I really like the white border around each square, but looking at it now,
can I still do that and avoid the space?

Can't check it right now, have to get to the eye doctor to pick up my
contacts. My first pair. I'm so excited.

I guess I hadn't given it as much thought as I should have.
I'll work on it when I get back and see what happens.
Maybe I'll see a little better with the contacts? (smile)

Thanks everyone for your input.
I'll do another test piece and upload it.

Thanks again,
Diane

Old October 9th 04, 03:33 PM
Diane

I forgot to mention one thing.

I had asked my sister to save whatever clothes my niece was going to through
out
so I could make a quilt out of it.

When I saw the colors and the amount, it wasn't exactly what I expected.
I didn't mind the jeans shorts, but there just wasn't enough material to use
for the size quilt I had in mind.

I was going to include the material I am using with this quilt, but the colors
didn't seem to match very well.

I was just thinking... maybe I could use her material for the little squares?
They will be small enough (I hope) not to take away from the color scheme?

I could upload it so you can see if that would help.
I know I'm not very good at matching colors so I could really use your advice.

Thanks again and for being so patient with me I really appreciate it.
Diane