Need an idea for a gift

Old March 15th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default Need an idea for a gift

I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. I'm making a bookmark for
his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

A bookmark would be nice because I know he reads a lot, but I don't want it
to be the usual caduceus. I did a little looking but most of what I saw is
too frilly for a masculine guy.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

Old March 15th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
'Nez

On Mar 15, 4:07�pm, "Lucille" wrote:
I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. �I'm making a bookmark for
his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

Somewhere I have seen a stitching "Old doctors never die. They just
lose their patients." Don't remember where. Frances
Old March 16th 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"Lucille" ) writes:
I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. I'm making a bookmark for
his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

A bookmark would be nice because I know he reads a lot, but I don't want it
to be the usual caduceus. I did a little looking but most of what I saw is
too frilly for a masculine guy.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

I saw a cute little piece of doggerel about doctors many years ago.

Left to itself the lamp of life may flicker
At worst the patient sinks in slow decline
The doctor takes him by a quicker route
And puts him underground before his time.

Another idea. Have you thought of embroidering a female eye? Jim.

Old March 16th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
"Lucille" ) writes:
I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. I'm making a bookmark for
his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

A bookmark would be nice because I know he reads a lot, but I don't want
it
to be the usual caduceus. I did a little looking but most of what I saw
is
too frilly for a masculine guy.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

I saw a cute little piece of doggerel about doctors many years ago.

Left to itself the lamp of life may flicker
At worst the patient sinks in slow decline
The doctor takes him by a quicker route
And puts him underground before his time.

Another idea. Have you thought of embroidering a female eye? Jim.

What is a female eye and how does it differ from a male eye??????

I'm not sure how much he would appreciate the truth in the poem.

Old March 16th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"Lucille" ) writes:

What is a female eye and how does it differ from a male eye??????

I'm not sure how much he would appreciate the truth in the poem.

Am I the only one who can tell at a glance the difference between and male
eye and a female eye? They are as different as chalk and cheese.
Actually, I have a female eye on my list as to another computer generated
pattern to do some time in the future. Jim.

Old March 16th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Mar 15, 5:17*pm, "'Nez" wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:07 pm, "Lucille" wrote:

I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. I'm making a bookmark for
his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

Somewhere I have seen a stitching "Old doctors never die. *They just
lose their patients." *Don't remember where. *Frances

I was thinking along those same lines...something like, "I have lots
of patients (patience)"

Or how 'bout some instruments, stethoscope, thermometer, scalpel,
etc.? I bet you'd be able to find pics of those and make your own
pattern. Just use graph paper in your printer and print the pictures
right on to that...works great! That's what I did for the reading
corner bookmark and the @badge I did (in my webshots stitching album,
p.3 ... search for ndjoan).

HTH!

Joan
Old March 16th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

Lucille wrote:
I need an idea for a little gift for a Doctor. I'm making a bookmark
for his Nurse Practitioner and now I'm trying to find something for him.

A bookmark would be nice because I know he reads a lot, but I don't want
it to be the usual caduceus. I did a little looking but most of what I
saw is too frilly for a masculine guy.

I'm not locked into a bookmark so any ideas would be appreciated.

Lucille

A bookmark is a good idea, and you can easily adapt any chart for it.

Teresa Wentzler has some nice bookmarks - one is knotwork - which is not
too feminine. http://www.twdesignworks.com/Free/index.html
Look at "knotwork bookmark" and "renaissance bookmark" (which is MUCH
more work!)

How about just his first name in whatever alphabet? I've done several
bookmarks with just first name (you can use just first, or first/last)
in Celtic lettering, generated by
http://www.celticxstitch.ie/cgi-bin/stitches.cgi

Maybe a bird? There are some nice free bird motifs online. There are
some on this site:
http://www.crossedwing.com/free/free_charts.html

You could easily adapt the ornament on Blue Ribbon Designs into a
bookmark. The one that says "May you be blessed with health and
happiness" is appropriate! Then add birds or bunnies and trees from that
or other ornaments.
http://www.blueribbondesigns.com/

You can use any nice piece of linen, and just do nun's stitch or
hemstich all around, then cut out the sides and leave extra on the
top/bottom for fringe:
http://www.freepatterns.com/content/...id=6&type_id=A

http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfT...001/01-10j.php

HTH!

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 16th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

I have a bunch of the one nighters - trains, rec vehicles and one of "winged
things" (which I'm fairly sure has a small plane or two). And one of
lighthouses. I'd be happy to let you have any or all to look over

Cheryl

Old March 16th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tia Mary's idea. Thank you for your vision!

I think I have the "winged things" somewhere in my stash. Years ago,
DD#1 requested a griffin for her Christmas ornament, and I bought that
book for the griffin pattern. Shirley Shone also directed me to some
plane charts that I can use.

Great suggestions, folks! Many thanks!!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 17th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Karen C - Calif" wrote in message
F.James Cripwell wrote:

"Lucille" ) writes:

What is a female eye and how does it differ from a male eye??????

I'm not sure how much he would appreciate the truth in the poem.

Am I the only one who can tell at a glance the difference between and
male
eye and a female eye? They are as different as chalk and cheese.

The male eye doesn't usually come with blue eyeshadow?

Have you forgotten that Jim only likes to look at nudes???? lol

Baby Gift Basket Idea - Tips to Create Unique Baby Gift Baskets brent General Crafting 0 March 19th 07 04:43 PM
Gift Idea ..HELP! Christina Doucette Quilting 5 December 5th 05 03:51 PM
What a great gift idea Jill Pochik Quilting 11 November 30th 04 03:41 PM
That gift idea Dr. Sooz Beads 10 September 4th 04 04:26 PM
Gift idea help! Cina Quilting 13 December 23rd 03 03:40 PM