Single firing Done!

Old November 29th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Single firing Done!

Thanks Susie, looking forward to the links. The second cat is my 'evil'
Reed. I named him Reed after the college my first born was going away to.
Reed is 'my' cat (by that I mean I'm his human) and he really doesn't share
well. He is the stereotypical 'cat' and probably the only one that I have
ever known.

I'll have to post a picture of Koosh in her bowl for you. The bowl is by a
potter in Connecticut and it is driving me nuts that I can't remember his
name. I thought it was Mishna but I'm unable to find anything on him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6546286...7594398019817/

"Susie" wrote in message
In message , DKat
writes

I really have seen nothing like your work here in the U.S. of A. It does
remind me of one of my favorite childhood treasures - a swan swimming in
flowers that was brought back to me from either England or Japan...
Probably England. The new set of pictures is delightful! Dare I ask your
price range and if you have ever shipped overseas? We actually keep
teasing
ourselves with flying over to England some day. Could you tell me where
the
shop is that has your pieces?

I was surprised to find the closetpotter back on line. Here is some of
her
things.

http://flickr.com/photos/lindapahl/

Hi Donna

Thanks for giving me the line to the closet potter. I really do like some
of her work. I'll go back and have another look later. Who's cat No Two
in your pictures? Shamu and ?!

Can you post a picture of your swan swimming in flowers - it sounds just
lovely. Maybe not the sort of thing that I'd start making, but
interesting. Thanks for all your kind comments about my work.

I have sent work over to the US. No, not one of the really big pieces,
but something the size of the tea party made it in one piece. I often
post the tiny things like the star struck mouse within the UK with no
problem. As for shipping the big pieces, that's something I haven't had
to work out, yet. Prices vary according to degree of difficulty and size.
I made a breakfast scene similar to the tea part for that last exhibition.
It was called "Sunshine Breakfast" and had mice sitting round a toadstool,
with daffodils for their cereal bowls and a box of Kelloggs Cornflakes in
the middle of the "table". That sold for UKP60 to a local buyer. The
little miniatures go from UKP10 upwards, plus shipping costs. From there
on the prices go up.

By the way, the Isle of Arran where we live is just off the coast of West
Scotland. I'm English - we moved up here from West Cornwall nearly 5
years ago. I'll send you some Arran links in a private reply so you can
what our island looks like.

Talk soon

Susie.

--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!

Old December 30th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Sue Roessel Dura

Default Lustres

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:58:40 +0000, Susie wrote:

I've made notes against the images regarding glaze, enamels and lustres.
I found a long time ago that it's possible to paint enamels onto high
fired unglazed porcelain. Did the ancient Chinese used to do this?
Lustres don't want to work without the glaze base. Or has anybody out
there found a way around this?

Your work is amazing ;-) Where do you get lustres - are there recipes for them?
Do you have to fire them again after the glaze firing? Thanks! Sue
Old December 30th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

In message , Sue Roessel
Dura writes
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:58:40 +0000, Susie wrote:

I've made notes against the images regarding glaze, enamels and lustres.
I found a long time ago that it's possible to paint enamels onto high
fired unglazed porcelain. Did the ancient Chinese used to do this?
Lustres don't want to work without the glaze base. Or has anybody out
there found a way around this?

Your work is amazing ;-) Where do you get lustres - are there recipes
for them?
Do you have to fire them again after the glaze firing? Thanks! Sue

Hello Sue

Thanks for your kind comments. I've just read Steve Graber's post and
fully agree with his comments. This group doesn't just give practical
help and advice - they gave me support through a very anxious firing of
the sibling dragons. I can't thank them enough :-))))))

There are recipes for lustres, but I don't know anything about them.
There are books on the market. IIRC Alan Caiger-Smith is a potter whose
work is really worth looking at, and he's written a couple of books
detailing recipes. Making recipes up doesn't interest me at all. I
never was good at sums. I buy in prepared lustres - available from many
outlets and some a lot more expensive than others- and follow the
instructions. I was very lucky a few years back when a friend gave me
the remains of platinum and gold lustres and told me to go away and
play. I haven't looked back. What I really enjoy is the challenge and
fun of construction of my dragons, and I use the lustres to highlight
detail from time to time. The only warning I have is the effect that
the solvents containing the lustres can have. Be careful and make sure
that the area you're using them in is cool and really well ventilated.

Unless somebody can tell me different, lustres prefer to be applied on
top of a fired glaze and then fired on at a much lower temperature in a
further firing. As many as it takes, sometimes.

Hope this helps

Happy New Year to everybody

Susie
Old July 12th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie Thompson

Default ping Dkat

Hello Donna

I emailed you the other day - did you get it? Please let me know.

Best

Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon
to email me replace "deadspam" with my name

Disposing of Glazes anna Pottery 5 November 21st 06 04:54 AM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM