OT - thundersnow

Old January 5th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default OT - thundersnow

Thundersnow is part of our latest Winter Storm Warning.

Couple of years ago I learned about pogonip. So do I assume that there will
be sounds of thunder with this snowfall? This is still not as bad as all
that snow I've lived through in the Washington DC suburbs and in
Cincinnati-Indianapolis. The forecasts out there weren't so great -- I
shoveled an awful lot of "no accumulation" back in the day.

--
Kay Ahr in NV (Reno/Sparks)
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

Old January 5th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Yep, that's what it means alright. And boy is it weird..........

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
music is all around us, all you

Old January 5th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Yup....very odd day when one has thundersnow. You want to look around and
say "am I the only one who heard that???". Those of you out in the West
must be getting POUNDED!!! I just saw a video clip on the Weather Channel
of a truck that almost tipped over from the winds. It was stopped on the
highway and then was rear ended by a minivan going at a pretty good clip.
The announcer didn't bat an eye even though someone may have been killed!!!
The anchor may not have even known what the video room was showing, but it
was a very strange few seconds.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old January 5th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

I guess thundersnow will be Mother's Nature's music around me today.
Indoors it's the NFL Wild Card games. I lived in the Washington DC suburbs
for about 25 years. Loved having Redskins come to visit my classroom!

I think California is getting it a lot worse than Reno is. I feel downright
lucky -- my power has stayed on and I have no place I have to go.

It was kind of creepy yesterday to watch the ponds in the park overflow.
One year it was really bad -- the water level was to the top of the
porta-potty. Now they take the porta-potty away from that picnic shelter
once the weather turns cold. Who's picnicking at that time of the year
anyway? (Had to check my Paradise Park photos at Webshots to see what year
that was -- New Year's Eve 2005.)

Back to the sewing machine.
--
Kay Ahr in NV

Old January 5th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:08:51 -0800, "Kay Ahr"
wrote:

Thundersnow is part of our latest Winter Storm Warning.

Couple of years ago I learned about pogonip. So do I assume that there will
be sounds of thunder with this snowfall? This is still not as bad as all
that snow I've lived through in the Washington DC suburbs and in
Cincinnati-Indianapolis. The forecasts out there weren't so great -- I
shoveled an awful lot of "no accumulation" back in the day.

Yep, thunder while snowing. I've shoveled many an inch of "no
accumulation" too. Seems Virginians only get snow when the weatherman
says we won't. Nothing falls when it's a 90-100 percent probability
that it will.

What's pogonip?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 6th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default OT - thundersnow and pogonip

wrote:

Thundersnow is part of our latest Winter Storm Warning.

Couple of years ago I learned about pogonip. So do I assume that there
will
be sounds of thunder with this snowfall? This is still not as bad as all
that snow I've lived through in the Washington DC suburbs and in
Cincinnati-Indianapolis. The forecasts out there weren't so great -- I
shoveled an awful lot of "no accumulation" back in the day.

Yep, thunder while snowing. I've shoveled many an inch of "no
accumulation" too. Seems Virginians only get snow when the weatherman
says we won't. Nothing falls when it's a 90-100 percent probability
that it will.

What's pogonip?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Same as hoarfrost as far as I can tell. I'd never heard of either until 2
years ago when I had to drive through a frozen cloud. The pogonip occurred
every morning for a couple of weeks. It's no fun driving in the dark in a
frozen cloud.

Here are some cool links and explanations. I suppose we use the word
pogonip around this part of the country because of the local Shoshone/Paiute
culture.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../LIV/711240303
Absolutely love the photo here!! It could inspire some quilt colors, so I
had saved the photo link. Click on the photo and you'll get a huge version.

http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=225248

http://www.artfromthesoul.com/Pogonip.html
these photos were taken in the newer Spanish Springs "suburb" of Sparks,
Nevada. I live in old Sparks.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/s...rost/frost.htm

--
Kay Ahr in NV

Old January 6th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
I guess thundersnow will be Mother's Nature's music around me today.
Indoors it's the NFL Wild Card games. I lived in the Washington DC suburbs
for about 25 years. Loved having Redskins come to visit my classroom!

I think California is getting it a lot worse than Reno is. I feel
downright lucky -- my power has stayed on and I have no place I have to
go.

I think you guys get shielded a bit by Donner. I know when I go snowshoeing,
the snow is always *way* deeper on the western side of the pass.

We've survived the first two storms down here in the valley. Winds on Friday
did a lot of damage and knocked out power. We gave up on sitting in the dark
at work Friday after a few hours and went home -- the normally 20 minute
drive was over 90 minutes due to extreme wind, power outages, freeway
closures and downed trees.

Power was off at home for about 4 hours, but it's still off at work. I went
in this morning for about 3 hours hoping for power, but when the utility
company started changing their estimates, I packed up my computer, all my
paperwork, and took everything home to do. (Just finishing up now - yeah!)
I'm crossing my fingers that we can open the store tomorrow, and thankful
that we didn't get structural damage, lose merchandise, and that this is our
slowest time of the year.

DH and I laughed at all the people stocking up on beer (by flashlight!) at
the liquor store next door though. I can think of a lot of things I'd stock
up on for a storm, and beer would be WAY down on that list. And if I did
stock up on beer, it would be a *lot* better stuff than what I saw going
out! LOL
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old January 6th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Years ago DH was up in Truckee for snow survival school for work.
It snowed so much the class got cancelled, instructor high tailed
it outta there and the 'students' were snowed in for days. How
can there be too much snow for snow survival school? Needless to
say he wasn't happy.
Nephew in Sac town had some big time tree damage and a fence down
but was considering himself lucky there in his 'new' home with this
storm. He said down town was a nightmare. We have had a little rain, a
lot of wind and just cold air. Ever since global warming was announced
I sweat I have been freezing!
Stay safe out there.
TAria

Old January 6th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I know hoarfrost....but I have to admit that the word "pogonip" is a new one
for my vocabulary. So Leslie and I have each learned something today!
Thanks!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...

Old January 6th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Ok and I've also learned pogonip is a synonym for rime. Hadn't heard of
that one either. Where have I been????

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"KJ" wrote in message
I know hoarfrost....but I have to admit that the word "pogonip" is a new
one for my vocabulary. So Leslie and I have each learned something today!
Thanks!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi